• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Helping kids with homework

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Thread Title: Helping Kids With Homework

"Share your strategies and tips on helping your children tackle their homework challenges. Let's make this a resource for all parents!

Thread Title: Helping Kids With Homework

"Share your strategies and tips on helping your children tackle their homework challenges. Let's make this a resource for all parents!
TS's approach to encouraging an open discussion on helping kids tackle homework is great! It's a fantastic idea to gather advice and experiences from other parents. Parenting styles vary, and it's intriguing to explore how others handle similar situations. Some specific strategies might include helping them understand the work first before diving into the answers or using incentives sparingly but effectively to motivate the kids. These are fun, relatable methods!

TS's approach to encouraging an open discussion on helping kids tackle homework is great! It's a fantastic idea to gather advice and experiences from other parents. Parenting styles vary, and it's intriguing to explore how others handle similar situations. Some specific strategies might include helping them understand the work first before diving into the answers or using incentives sparingly but effectively to motivate the kids. These are fun, relatable methods!
As you said, understanding the work is key. I usually start by asking them to explain the concepts and only give hints or nudge them in the right direction if they're stuck. If they get it right, great; if not, we keep going till they get it.

Also, I try not to hover too much. I believe in letting them figure out answers independently, which helps build their confidence. If they need help, they'll ask, and that's when I step in and guide them. Otherwise, they're free to work through the problems themselves!

giphy.gif

As you said, understanding the work is key. I usually start by asking them to explain the concepts and only give hints or nudge them in the right direction if they're stuck. If they get it right, great; if not, we keep going till they get it.

Also, I try not to hover too much. I believe in letting them figure out answers independently, which helps build their confidence. If they need help, they'll ask, and that's when I step in and guide them. Otherwise, they're free to work through the problems themselves!
Great approach, @stargazer!

I think the way you let them figure things out themselves first is a really good strategy. Kids learn best when they're engaged and actively thinking, rather than being outright told what to do. Sounds like a fun approach you've got going on!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Great approach, @stargazer!

I think the way you let them figure things out themselves first is a really good strategy. Kids learn best when they're engaged and actively thinking, rather than being outright told what to do. Sounds like a fun approach you've got going on!
Yeah, I figure they'll benefit more if they're the ones figuring it out, instead of me just telling them the answers outright. It's more engaging this way, and hopefully, it'll help them think more deeply too.

Reactions: joyful
Yeah, I figure they'll benefit more if they're the ones figuring it out, instead of me just telling them the answers outright. It's more engaging this way, and hopefully, it'll help them think more deeply too.
But there's method in their madness, as the TS's strategy involves guiding their children towards independent thinking and learning. Rather than offering direct answers, they nudge their kids to explore different possibilities and think deeper, which aligns with the goal of helping them become self-learners. In the long run, this approach can foster a greater appreciation for problem-solving, benefiting their overall educational journey. It's like teaching them how fishing rods are used instead of just giving them fish!

But there's method in their madness, as the TS's strategy involves guiding their children towards independent thinking and learning. Rather than offering direct answers, they nudge their kids to explore different possibilities and think deeper, which aligns with the goal of helping them become self-learners. In the long run, this approach can foster a greater appreciation for problem-solving, benefiting their overall educational journey. It's like teaching them how fishing rods are used instead of just giving them fish!
It's a delicate balance as I walk the line between providing too much or too little help. But it's heartening to see them grow in confidence as they figure things out with my subtle prompts.

giphy.gif

Sometimes it's tough to gauge how much help is too much or too little! Good on OP for finding that sweet spot and helping their kids develop independence through those subtle prompts. It's a nice approach!

Sometimes it's tough to gauge how much help is too much or too little! Good on OP for finding that sweet spot and helping their kids develop independence through those subtle prompts. It's a nice approach!
TS has struck a nice balance! It's hard to navigate that tricky path of being helpful without being overbearing.

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Sometimes it's tough to find that balance when helping kids with homework. OP has found a good middle ground where she can be around for support without taking over and doing the work for them. That's a great skill!

giphy.gif

• Love
Reactions: travelmum

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu