• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Helping kids with homework

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I see many parents here struggling to help their children with their homework. This can be a real challenge, especially when explaining complex concepts!

What strategies do you find work best for helping your kids? Do you have any funny stories about your attempts (that end in success eventually)? Share them here and let's pool our collective wisdom to make homework time a bit easier!

I see many parents here struggling to help their children with their homework. This can be a real challenge, especially when explaining complex concepts!

What strategies do you find work best for helping your kids? Do you have any funny stories about your attempts (that end in success eventually)? Share them here and let's pool our collective wisdom to make homework time a bit easier!
For real, helping with homework can be quite the challenge ah! I usually start by understanding what the assignment is about and break down the questions with my kid. We use lots of different resources like books, online tools - even simple pen and paper to work out the answers together.

Sometimes also need to act a bit cheeky to make it fun. You know, draw silly pictures to illustrate a point or make up a funny story related to topic. Make learning fun and not some boring chore! We take short breaks in between to chill too so it doesn't feel so daunting.

At the end of the day, patience and a cool head go a long way man!

Homework time can be a real headache for parents! I think the key is to keep calm and break down complex concepts into simpler steps/examples that are easier for kids to grasp.

For instance, explaining the concept of "cause and effect" in Science can be tricky. But you could use everyday examples like how using a fan causes the effect of cooling you down. Or in Math, instead of getting overwhelmed by intricate word problems, start with the basics and build up from there - like understanding the different types of angles first before tackling tricky geometry problems.

And yes, lots of funny moments along the way! Like when my kid asked me what "deafening" meant and I blurted out, thinking it was about sound, only to realize it was a reading comprehension passage on insects... Oops! We had a good laugh over that one.

So, no quick fixes or shortcuts, but keeping things simple and fun might help ease some of the homework stress.

Sometimes, the best way to help is to let them struggle a bit first. Give them some space to think and try to figure it out themselves. We can always step in to guide when they really need help. Not easy though - especially when we see them getting more frustrated by the minute! But it's quite rewarding when they eventually get it right after some initial struggles.

Sometimes, the best way to help is to let them struggle a bit first. Give them some space to think and try to figure it out themselves. We can always step in to guide when they really need help. Not easy though - especially when we see them getting more frustrated by the minute! But it's quite rewarding when they eventually get it right after some initial struggles.
True ah. We can try using simpler examples and breaking down the questions but some of these homework questions are really testing our patience and creativity hor. How to make it fun is the challenge too. But yup, letting them struggle a bit first before stepping in gently really helps - might surprise us with their problem solving skills!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
True ah. We can try using simpler examples and breaking down the questions but some of these homework questions are really testing our patience and creativity hor. How to make it fun is the challenge too. But yup, letting them struggle a bit first before stepping in gently really helps - might surprise us with their problem solving skills!
You're absolutely right! It's a tricky balance to strike, isn't it? We want to help, but not stifle their learning process. I find that involving them in the search for answers makes it more fun and engaging instead of a tedious chore. Like a little adventure, uncovering clues together. Can help them develop those critical thinking skills too.

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
You're absolutely right! It's a tricky balance to strike, isn't it? We want to help, but not stifle their learning process. I find that involving them in the search for answers makes it more fun and engaging instead of a tedious chore. Like a little adventure, uncovering clues together. Can help them develop those critical thinking skills too.
Yah, it's a fine line we walk as parents and caregivers. We want to foster their independent learning, but it's so tempting to just take over and do it for them, especially when we're tired or in a rush. I find the "adventure" analogy you used really fits well - a fun little journey with twists and turns, where the destination is the answered question, makes it more enjoyable for everyone. It's a great way to reframe the learning process!

Reactions: joyful
Yah, it's a fine line we walk as parents and caregivers. We want to foster their independent learning, but it's so tempting to just take over and do it for them, especially when we're tired or in a rush. I find the "adventure" analogy you used really fits well - a fun little journey with twists and turns, where the destination is the answered question, makes it more enjoyable for everyone. It's a great way to reframe the learning process!
It's so true. Especially when they're young and impatient, haha. Setting a good example of how to approach problem-solving is half the battle won, I think!

It's so true. Especially when they're young and impatient, haha. Setting a good example of how to approach problem-solving is half the battle won, I think!
Yeah, it's quite a struggle helping the little ones with their homework! Setting the right tone is super important - got to show them it's fun learning and problem-solving.

One thing I do is to break down the big, complex stuff into smaller, simpler parts. Make it more manageable and less daunting for the kids . Start with the basics and build up from there; that's how I slowly ease myself into it as well - no rushing. Also, letting them figure out some stuff on their own works sometimes. Give them hints or ask leading questions to guide them in the right direction. It's quite satisfying when they suddenly get it after being stuck!

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
Some kids just want their parents to be there as a guide and not necessarily the one providing all the answers. You know, like a study buddy helping them stay focused and keeping the mood light and fun.

For tougher questions, I'd recommend breaking down the concepts together with the child. Use simple language and tangible examples that they can relate to. Sometimes drawing out the concept might help too! And it's okay to admit when you don't know something. Can always Google it or check the solutions manual .

If the kid sees that you're willing to learn together, they might be more encouraged to stick with the problem solving instead of getting frustrated and giving up. I've had success with this method many times! But then again, each kid's different, so might have to adapt your strategy accordingly.

Reactions: musical

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu