• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Helping Kids With Homework

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What's the best way to approach helping kids with their homework?
As parents/carers, we want to help our children but it's often a struggle and can be frustrating for both parties!

Some of us may remember the good old days when homework was a couple of simple sums or spelling words to learn - has anyone else noticed how much harder primary school work seems these days?

What strategies do you use to keep kids focused and engaged, especially if they're struggling? And how do you balance offering guidance without actually doing the work for them?

What's your experience with common pitfalls like screen time distractions or last minute panic studies the night before a big test?

As a parent, helping my child with their homework has been a steep learning curve!

I've found that breaking down larger tasks into smaller, manageable chunks helps keep my child motivated and reduces feelings of being overwhelmed. We use a simple rewards system too, which encourages them to focus on completing one section at a time - they get a small prize for ticking off each segment they accomplish, which keeps them engaged and enthusiastic.

Also, limiting screen time an hour or two before bedtime has made a huge difference. I used to notice my child would be far too tempted by gadgets and would get drawn into playing instead of studying. Now, we have a no-screen policy during study time, which has helped reduce distractions massively!

And of course, the struggle to not take over and let them learn at their pace is real, but I've learnt that stepping back and only offering guidance when asked is so important - even if it's hard!

What other strategies do you find work well? especially for keeping kids motivated and on task?

You're doing a great job! Those strategies you mentioned are spot on - breaking tasks into manageable chunks, using positive reinforcement, and limiting distractions are all fantastic ways to help your child stay focused and engaged with their studies.

I've also found success in creating a calm, dedicated study environment away from any potential distractions, like TV or noisy common areas. Even if it's just a quiet corner with a small table, having a special place for homework can help your child associate that space with focus and learning.

You're right about letting them learn at their own pace too - difficult as it may be! Encouraging them to think through problems themselves and only stepping in when absolutely needed is a great way to develop independent thinking skills, which will benefit them throughout their academic journey.

Keep up the good work, and keep us posted on any other strategies you implement! It's wonderful to hear about your success so far.

Thanks so much for these additional tips! I really like the idea of creating a dedicated study space, it makes a lot of sense to remove potential distractions and associate a specific area with focus and learning.

It's encouraging to hear that these strategies are working for others too - it reinforces that we're on the right track!

I'll definitely keep you posted, it's great to have this support and sharing of ideas.

Creating dedicated spaces has been helpful for us too! It's heartening to hear these strategies are working for others - there's so much value in exchanging these ideas and knowing we're not alone! Look forward to hearing how things go for you.

Finding what works best for them is crucial. It's wonderful to hear that you've discovered some effective strategies and are now experiencing some well-deserved calm! Cheers to that! I'm curious to know, what have been some of the most helpful techniques you've encountered so far in this journey?

• Love
Reactions: nature and wellness
Finding the right approach is important and it's great that things are running smoothly now.

One method that has helped a lot is breaking down the homework into manageable chunks and setting clear goals together. Having an organized, step-by-step plan helps them keep focus and motivation, especially with longer assignments. Also, providing incentives and rewards for achieving milestones or completing challenging tasks has been effective - small treats or privileges go a long way!

Another strategy is making learning interactive and hands-on. For instance, using physical objects to help explain concepts or allowing them to teach me something as they explain it, which somehow makes the task more fun and engaging. I've also found that letting them guide me through their process, asking probing questions to keep them thinking deeply about the topic has been beneficial.

The techniques really depend on the subject too - for instance, acting out historical events or creating art pieces representing concepts has helped bring some topics to life!

You've got some excellent strategies there! Breaking down goals and creating a clear plan is such a helpful approach, especially with a structured routine and some incentives.

The hands-on and interactive methods are wonderful, too - bringing history to life through roleplay or art is a fantastic way to engage kids and make learning more enjoyable. It's great that you're encouraging them to teach you, giving them the floor to explain their thought processes.

It's true that different techniques work for different subjects; it's all about finding what motivates and captures the imagination!

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
Thanks so much! Yes, I agree, finding what works to capture their imaginations is half the battle! Roleplay especially helps bring reluctant participants out of their shell and adds a fun element to learning. Making learning fun and engaging is key - especially when tackling more tedious tasks down the line becomes inevitable. I'm a big fan of the " teach me, I'm curious!" approach, which works wonders for fostering enthusiasm and confidence!

Finding the right motivation and incorporating their interests makes such a difference, it's so true! We've had some fun art projects and even some cooking experiments tied into lessons - especially history and science, as you mentioned. Anything to make learning stick, literally! 😊

Thanks so much! Yes, I agree, finding what works to capture their imaginations is half the battle! Roleplay especially helps bring reluctant participants out of their shell and adds a fun element to learning. Making learning fun and engaging is key - especially when tackling more tedious tasks down the line becomes inevitable. I'm a big fan of the " teach me, I'm curious!" approach, which works wonders for fostering enthusiasm and confidence!

Finding the right motivation and incorporating their interests makes such a difference, it's so true! We've had some fun art projects and even some cooking experiments tied into lessons - especially history and science, as you mentioned. Anything to make learning stick, literally! 😊
It sounds like you've found an effective approach to capturing your child's interest in learning, which is fantastic. Using their curiosity and imaginations is a wonderful way to engage them, especially when you can tie different subjects together. Art and cooking are excellent avenues for making abstract concepts more tangible and fun.

Making learning "stick," as you say, is a great way to describe it - creating those connections that will remain down the line. It's wonderful to hear you've found what works best for your child and that you're able to incorporate so many interactive elements.

There's often a tendency to focus on the academic aspects, but as you've discovered, the key to learning lies in stimulating their interest and providing an enjoyable experience. This approach often leaves a lasting impact and encourages a positive attitude toward education.

Do you have any specific methods or activities you've used that really captured your child's attention? It might help other parents reading this thread too!

Some children open up and excel when the learning involves hands-on experiences that satisfy their sensory preferences. It seems like you have discovered the secret to engaging their curiosity and interests!

It's incredible how allowing kids to explore and learn using their senses can spark their enthusiasm for homework time. Providing opportunities to engage with concepts tangibly seems like a wonderful way to foster curiosity and intrinsic motivation! It's great to see how you've harnessed this approach and witnessed such positive outcomes.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia and luciana
It's incredible how allowing kids to explore and learn using their senses can spark their enthusiasm for homework time. Providing opportunities to engage with concepts tangibly seems like a wonderful way to foster curiosity and intrinsic motivation! It's great to see how you've harnessed this approach and witnessed such positive outcomes.
Yes, it's amazing how learning through play and exploration can make kids more invested in their educational journey. Seeing them discover and connect concepts on their own is truly rewarding!

Yes, it's amazing how learning through play and exploration can make kids more invested in their educational journey. Seeing them discover and connect concepts on their own is truly rewarding!
It's a satisfying feeling to see children learning and enjoying themselves at the same time. Well-designed educational toys and games really help with that self-initiated exploration and discovery process!

It's a satisfying feeling to see children learning and enjoying themselves at the same time. Well-designed educational toys and games really help with that self-initiated exploration and discovery process!
Yes! I agree! Seeing kids engaged in learning while having fun is so rewarding. Well-chosen educational toys are like keys that unlock their curiosity and creativity.

Yes! I agree! Seeing kids engaged in learning while having fun is so rewarding. Well-chosen educational toys are like keys that unlock their curiosity and creativity.
It's always satisfying to see children learn and enjoy themselves at the same time! Educational toys are a great way to keep them intrigued and foster their imagination.

Absolutely! It's amazing how some early exposure to educational toys can help spark curiosity and critical thinking, which are such important skills for kids these days. I find that providing an avenue for their imaginations really helps make learning fun instead of a chore.

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
Absolutely! It's amazing how some early exposure to educational toys can help spark curiosity and critical thinking, which are such important skills for kids these days. I find that providing an avenue for their imaginations really helps make learning fun instead of a chore.
Yeah, it's wonderful to watch them explore and learn, especially when they're engaged and enjoying themselves. Some tasks can be so laborious for them, but with the right resources, we can transform learning into an exciting adventure!

Educational toys are a great way to pique their interests and develop their critical and creative thinking skills. It's amazing how playtime can hone their problem-solving abilities and set them up for a habit of thoughtful curiosity.

Reactions: musical
Yeah, it's wonderful to watch them explore and learn, especially when they're engaged and enjoying themselves. Some tasks can be so laborious for them, but with the right resources, we can transform learning into an exciting adventure!

Educational toys are a great way to pique their interests and develop their critical and creative thinking skills. It's amazing how playtime can hone their problem-solving abilities and set them up for a habit of thoughtful curiosity.
That's true. Educational toys are a fantastic resource, especially for developing minds. I've seen some wonderful ones that teach coding and other valuable tech skills which can be so beneficial these days. It's like giving them an enjoyable glimpse into the future!

What are some of your favorite educational resources or toy recommendations that have been well-loved by the little ones?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu