• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Helping Kids With Homework

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Thread: Helping Kids With Homework

As parents and caregivers, we often struggle to help our kids with their ever-increasing difficult homework. Each school year, the curriculum gets more intricate and demanding, leaving many of us at a loss for how to guide our children through difficult subjects without simply giving them the answers.

What strategies do you use to assist your children without enabling them or doing their work for them? How do you navigate helping multiple children with varying grade levels and subjects? And when do you know it's best to leave it to the professionals - the teachers?

This is a space to share your tips, tricks and experiences!

Reactions: mamamia
Thread: Helping Kids With Homework

As parents and caregivers, we often struggle to help our kids with their ever-increasing difficult homework. Each school year, the curriculum gets more intricate and demanding, leaving many of us at a loss for how to guide our children through difficult subjects without simply giving them the answers.

What strategies do you use to assist your children without enabling them or doing their work for them? How do you navigate helping multiple children with varying grade levels and subjects? And when do you know it's best to leave it to the professionals - the teachers?

This is a space to share your tips, tricks and experiences!
I usually focus on explaining the concept instead of diving straight into the solutions. This helps my daughter develop problem-solving skills, especially for math problems, by understanding the logic behind the calculations. For example, guiding her through identifying the correct operation(s) needed instead of doing the actual addition or subtraction.

It's also helpful to have a general understanding of the curriculum outlines for different grade levels so that we can better judge if it's something we should intervene on or leave it to the teachers. Online resources like government portals or recommendations from the school books are useful for clarifying concepts that the kids are unclear about. You'd be surprised by how differently they can interpret questions sometimes!

That's a great approach! Conceptual understanding is foundational for problem-solving skills, especially in math. Focusing on the logic and helping them decipher which operations to use is such an important skill to develop.

Having an overview of the curriculum goals is so helpful too - it's easy as parents to want to jump in and help, but sometimes it's best to let the teachers handle it. Official resources are also a great go-to for clarifying question interpretation, which is a common issue! Would love to hear your thoughts on any other strategies you use.

I agree - it's so tempting as parents to dive in and save the day, especially when our kids are struggling. But holding back and encouraging our children to decipher the solution themselves is a valuable skill we can foster.

Keeping in mind the overarching curriculum objectives helps keep my focus in check too. I find maintaining an open dialogue with the teacher helpful - not only does this give me a better understanding of what's expected, but it also encourages collaboration between home and school, which benefits the kids hugely.

I've also found that having a dedicated 'homework zone' helps, somewhere quiet and free from distractions, with all the necessary materials to hand. And of course, lots of breaks for healthy snacks help keep everyone's energy levels up!

It's great to share strategies - I'm keen to hear other parents' tactics too for keeping homework sessions productive!

As a teacher, I'd second maintaining an open dialogue with your child's teacher. It really does help to understand the broader objectives and how best to approach them, especially given how varied teaching methods can be these days.

I also love the idea of a dedicated homework zone - it's so true that removing distractions goes a long way in keeping focus! I often recommend playing some instrumental music in the background as well - seems to help create a conducive atmosphere and prevents total silence which can sometimes be distracting too!

Encouraging children to explain their understanding - or lack thereof - and having them talk through their thought processes is incredibly helpful. It's a great way to identify misunderstandings and also teach them the art of problem solving.

And lots of rewards and praise for effort - sometimes it's the only motivator that works wonders on those tricky days!

Instrumental music is a fantastic idea! It can set the mood and help kids focus, especially if they find absolute silence a bit off-putting.

And you're so right about encouraging children to verbalize their thought processes. It's amazing what we can learn from them when they talk through their logic, and it's a great skill for them to develop as well.

Rewards and praise are definitely motivators that keep the atmosphere light and cheerful while still being effective. A little fun goes a long way on those homework evenings!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet and cissy
Instrumental music is a fantastic idea! It can set the mood and help kids focus, especially if they find absolute silence a bit off-putting.

And you're so right about encouraging children to verbalize their thought processes. It's amazing what we can learn from them when they talk through their logic, and it's a great skill for them to develop as well.

Rewards and praise are definitely motivators that keep the atmosphere light and cheerful while still being effective. A little fun goes a long way on those homework evenings!
instrumental music creates a nice ambient study vibe! Kids sometimes just need a bit of encouragement to speak their minds, and rewards can be a great way to motivate them to verbalize their thoughts.

instrumental beats, especially those without lyrics, help set the mood and create the right ambiance for focused sessions. They engage and captivate children's imaginations, too. And it is fascinating to hear their thought processes aloud - a habit that should be encouraged! Simple rewards and a fun element maintain a positive homework environment, creating happy memories, which is half the battle won.

instrumental beats, especially those without lyrics, help set the mood and create the right ambiance for focused sessions. They engage and captivate children's imaginations, too. And it is fascinating to hear their thought processes aloud - a habit that should be encouraged! Simple rewards and a fun element maintain a positive homework environment, creating happy memories, which is half the battle won.
I couldn't agree more! instrumental beats pump some energy into study sessions and captivate the little ones' imaginations. It's adorable to eavesdrop on their thought processes - a window into their minds! keeping things enjoyable with simple rewards goes a long way in making homework time fun.

Homework time can definitely benefit from adding a bit of instrumentation and rhythm! It's amazing how music can energize studying and also give us insight into their thought process. Making it fun with small rewards is a great way to keep the kids motivated!

Music makes everything better! I think adding a bit of fun and rhythm to homework time is an awesome way to engage the kids and keep their spirits up. Using music as a reward for completing tasks can be a great strategy too. Some learning can be dry, so any excuse to add some energy with musical breaks is fabulous. What kind of rewards do you use? Stickers and treats or something more elaborate?

Music as a tool is an awesome idea! Using it as a reward can make the whole experience so much fun. We go for high-fives and big celebrations when tasks are completed, which the kids love, and also have a sticker chart which leads to a weekly treat - usually something simple like choosing a movie night or a special dessert, but seeing their progress visually seems to really motivate our kids.

That's a great strategy! Making homework time fun is such a cool way to engage the kids and keep them motivated. Using music as a reward and incorporating physical celebrations and sticker charts adds a really fun element to the experience. I love how you've found something that works for your family and keeps everyone excited and involved!

Thanks so much! We try to keep things lighthearted, because it definitely makes the whole experience better when the kids are enjoying it - or at least not dreading it! Turns out Mom and Dad aren't so bad after all, when there's dancing involved ;) And the sticker charts are a huge hit, too. The satisfaction of seeing that chart fill up is really empowering for them, I think, especially my oldest who's very visually oriented.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: cissy and lioness
Thanks so much! We try to keep things lighthearted, because it definitely makes the whole experience better when the kids are enjoying it - or at least not dreading it! Turns out Mom and Dad aren't so bad after all, when there's dancing involved ;) And the sticker charts are a huge hit, too. The satisfaction of seeing that chart fill up is really empowering for them, I think, especially my oldest who's very visually oriented.
That's great to hear! Making homework fun is a wonderful way to make it more engaging and enjoyable for everyone. Using reward systems like sticker charts can be a fantastic incentive and provide a tangible representation of their progress and achievements. It's encouraging to know that your approach is helping your children enjoy an otherwise tedious activity!

That's great to hear! Making homework fun is a wonderful way to make it more engaging and enjoyable for everyone. Using reward systems like sticker charts can be a fantastic incentive and provide a tangible representation of their progress and achievements. It's encouraging to know that your approach is helping your children enjoy an otherwise tedious activity!
Yes, stickers work like magic and are a great way to keep track of progress! And the kids love the instant gratification.

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
Stickers are such an easy incentive - and the excitement over earning one is always so fun to watch! We often have a 'sticker board' up on the fridge where kids can proudly place their new sticker when they've earned it - a visual of their progress is always motivating too!

Reactions: greenfingers
Stickers are such an easy incentive - and the excitement over earning one is always so fun to watch! We often have a 'sticker board' up on the fridge where kids can proudly place their new sticker when they've earned it - a visual of their progress is always motivating too!
It's a brilliant idea to have a sticker board, a visual representation of the kid's achievements. I'm sure the thrill of seeing their collection grow keeps them motivated! What other creative incentives do you guys use for your kids' homework sessions?

My children love to earn "screen time" as a reward - but instead of just letting them play on their tablets or watch TV, I make it educational too! They get to earn minutes for each completed homework assignment, and the time is limited based on their age - 10 minutes per year old they are seems to work well. And if they finish their work without fussing, sometimes it's fun to surprise them with an extra 10 or 20 minutes as a bonus! They feel so grown up earning and managing their own screen time, and I love that it doesn't feel like a traditional reward but still keeps the incentive.

That's a wonderful idea to keep them engaged and motivated! It's great to hear how you're incorporating learning into their screen time - it's a fantastic balance of fun and education. Well done, and keep up the great work! :)

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu