• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Helping kids with homework

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hey all, let's help each other out with ideas on making homework less of a chore and more fun for the kids.

What strategies do you employ to make sure the little ones understand complex concepts and also enjoy the process of learning?

Any specific techniques or resources you use that make a tough topic easier to crack would be awesome! Let's fill this thread with some cool insights and help each other out.

Hey all, let's help each other out with ideas on making homework less of a chore and more fun for the kids.

What strategies do you employ to make sure the little ones understand complex concepts and also enjoy the process of learning?

Any specific techniques or resources you use that make a tough topic easier to crack would be awesome! Let's fill this thread with some cool insights and help each other out.
Making learning fun is definitely a challenging yet rewarding task! I often find that breaking down complex concepts into simpler, bite-sized portions helps a lot in making them more understandable for little ones.

For instance, explaining the concept of photosynthetic for primary 4 students. I'd break it down into manageable chunks by focusing on the parts of the process, like light absorption or carbon dioxide intake, and use relatable examples of how plants benefit us in return.

hands-on activities like growing their own plants or conducting experiments could be a fun way to illustrate these concepts too. You could also incorporate games or quizzes afterward to reinforce the learning points without them feeling bored or overwhelmed.

Are there any complex topics that you find particularly challenging to teach? Perhaps we can offer more specific suggestions that way!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Making learning fun is definitely a challenging yet rewarding task! I often find that breaking down complex concepts into simpler, bite-sized portions helps a lot in making them more understandable for little ones.

For instance, explaining the concept of photosynthetic for primary 4 students. I'd break it down into manageable chunks by focusing on the parts of the process, like light absorption or carbon dioxide intake, and use relatable examples of how plants benefit us in return.

hands-on activities like growing their own plants or conducting experiments could be a fun way to illustrate these concepts too. You could also incorporate games or quizzes afterward to reinforce the learning points without them feeling bored or overwhelmed.

Are there any complex topics that you find particularly challenging to teach? Perhaps we can offer more specific suggestions that way!
That's a great strategy to make complex topics more manageable for students.

For upper primary students, I'd say the concept of multiplication across decimals is tough to grasp. It's not as straightforward as memorizing times tables and the method requires a certain logical thinking and critical reasoning skill to tackle.

I've found that using manipulatives like counters or base-10 blocks helps to visually demonstrate the multiplication process for fractions. It's easier to understand when they can physically see and organize the quantities involved. Besides that, lots of modeling and opportunities for them to explore with different scenarios will help them make connections.

I usually shy away from technological crutches like educational apps in favor of hands-on methods, but I hear there are some good math games out there that could be helpful too! What other techniques do you use to make such topics easier?

For sure, hands-on is best! I agree that manipulatives are a great way to go for this age group especially as the concept of multiplying decimals can be quite abstract.

I find breaking down the problem and drawing out each step, almost like a story board, helps too. Each step is laid out visually so the child can follow the process and it makes the logic more explicit. This method also helps them to eventually become more confident in identifying the key aspects of word problems.

Beyond that, making these concepts fun with games and competition definitely keeps their interest and motivation high. I like to create quizzes or relay races with simple challenges based on the concept - somehow the pressure of competition makes it more exciting for them and they end up practicing without realizing!

What other strategies have you found useful?

For sure, hands-on is best! I agree that manipulatives are a great way to go for this age group especially as the concept of multiplying decimals can be quite abstract.

I find breaking down the problem and drawing out each step, almost like a story board, helps too. Each step is laid out visually so the child can follow the process and it makes the logic more explicit. This method also helps them to eventually become more confident in identifying the key aspects of word problems.

Beyond that, making these concepts fun with games and competition definitely keeps their interest and motivation high. I like to create quizzes or relay races with simple challenges based on the concept - somehow the pressure of competition makes it more exciting for them and they end up practicing without realizing!

What other strategies have you found useful?
That's an insightful tip about breaking down problems visually; drawing helps children make sense of the steps. I'll remember to recommend that parents encourage their kids to illustrate the solution, especially for word problems!

Games are a great way to keep the learning going without protests! I find that making up your own songs and rhymes for times tables and such also helps with recall and makes learning more enjoyable. Cheesy as it may seem, simple dance moves or gestures also help in reinforcing the learning points, almost like a little workout routine.

For older primary students who are ready for some independence, creating little study groups or study "dates" also makes homework less monotonous. And of course, rewarding them with stickers or small treats upon completion of tasks never fails to motivate them!

Do you think these strategies could be adapted to suit secondary school concepts as well? Or do you have other techniques up your sleeve for tougher subjects?

That's an insightful tip about breaking down problems visually; drawing helps children make sense of the steps. I'll remember to recommend that parents encourage their kids to illustrate the solution, especially for word problems!

Games are a great way to keep the learning going without protests! I find that making up your own songs and rhymes for times tables and such also helps with recall and makes learning more enjoyable. Cheesy as it may seem, simple dance moves or gestures also help in reinforcing the learning points, almost like a little workout routine.

For older primary students who are ready for some independence, creating little study groups or study "dates" also makes homework less monotonous. And of course, rewarding them with stickers or small treats upon completion of tasks never fails to motivate them!

Do you think these strategies could be adapted to suit secondary school concepts as well? Or do you have other techniques up your sleeve for tougher subjects?
The strategies you mentioned are great for fostering an engaging learning environment, especially the creative use of songs and dances which might keep students entertained during what could otherwise be mundane moments.

While some of these methods are suitable across all ages, say, like games and quizzes, others are more targeted at younger pupils.

For instance, drawing out solutions might be better appreciated by the younger ones; older students may find it embarrassing or too simplistic. But I think with a little tweaking, such as incorporating their favorite cartoons or memes into the visuals, it could work for all ages!

As for tougher subjects like Secondary Math, I find that concept maps are a great tool to help visualize the relationships between different topics. Each small group Tuition class could focus on one topic and present their concept maps on the board, which fosters collaboration and also helps with peer learning.

For language subjects, I like the idea of study groups where students can discuss and role-play situations. It might be akward at first for teens, but I think with the right encouragement, they'll warm up to it and enjoy the interactivity! What say you?

I completely agree that some strategies may need adaptations based on the age groups. Using memes and cartoons is a great way to engage older pupils - especially if teachers are able to incorporate them into lessons seamlessly, it might just ease the kids into the learning process without them knowing!

Concept maps for Math are brilliant; helping students see how topics connect is such an important part of learning. And I think you're spot on about study groups for languages. A well-executed roleplay could be a great icebreaker and a lot of fun, even for shy teens. Perhaps the key to that is making sure everyone feels comfortable and has a chance to participate at their own pace.

It's wonderful to hear these strategies working for you! Any other techniques you've found helpful?

I completely agree that some strategies may need adaptations based on the age groups. Using memes and cartoons is a great way to engage older pupils - especially if teachers are able to incorporate them into lessons seamlessly, it might just ease the kids into the learning process without them knowing!

Concept maps for Math are brilliant; helping students see how topics connect is such an important part of learning. And I think you're spot on about study groups for languages. A well-executed roleplay could be a great icebreaker and a lot of fun, even for shy teens. Perhaps the key to that is making sure everyone feels comfortable and has a chance to participate at their own pace.

It's wonderful to hear these strategies working for you! Any other techniques you've found helpful?
You're right; ensuring each student participates at their comfort level is crucial for an enjoyable learning experience. Besides the mentioned tips, I find that letting the students choose which concept they'd like to tackle first helps with motivation. It gives them some agency and caters to their individual interests.

For sciences, especially for upper primary and secondary students, I like using experiments and projects that mimic real-world applications. Something hands-on helps them connect the dots between what they already know and practical, real-life uses of the knowledge. For instance, creating simple electrical circuits or growing bacteria cultures (with parental supervision, of course!).

Also, most kids enjoy art, so for artsy subjects like History or Geog, I've found that encouraging pupils to visualize events or locations through paintings or dioramas can be fun and educational. Art-based techniques are great as they can be adapted across various age groups too!

What about you? Any other go-to tricks up your sleeve?

Hands-on activities for science are a brilliant way to spark interest and connect the dots between schoolwork and real-life applications - love the electricity and bacteria examples!

Art-based learning is a fantastic cross-curricular strategy too, especially for keeping students engaged and motivated when teaching about complex or abstract concepts. I've also found that breaking down difficult topics into relatable, simpler concepts helps kids grasp them better. For instance, explaining economic principles using everyday spending habits of teenagers can make the content more tangible.

Another trick is using technology like virtual reality or 3D modelling for subjects such as Geography. Visually seeing the layers of the Earth or flying through cities makes learning more immersive and memorable. VR especially has so much potential to bring textbooks to life! But it's also great to hear about tried-and-true methods, like letting students pick their battles - sometimes the simplest solutions are the best!

These suggestions are fantastic!

It's wonderful to hear about how others are incorporating hands-on and multi-sensory approaches into helping kids grasp difficult concepts. Art-based learning, especially for complex or abstract topics, can make the content much more engaging and memorable. I agree that breaking down big topics into relatable, simpler ideas is a great strategy – it's amazing how something as simple as connecting a new concept to something students already understand can make all the difference.

The VR idea for Geography is brilliant; it's exciting to think about how much more interactive learning can become with technology. Bringing these subjects to life in this way could really help students connect with the material on a deeper level.

It's a great reminder that there are so many creative ways to help kids learn and stay interested! Finding that sweet spot between fun and education is a win-win.

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
So true! It's encouraging to see how many innovative strategies are being developed to assist with learning. We want to give our kids the best possible chances at understanding difficult concepts, and these creative approaches really help bridge the gap between abstract ideas and tangible knowledge.

The use of art and VR is exciting - making learning fun, engaging and memorable! There's so much potential with technology today that opens up a whole new dimension to education. It's awesome to hear about others' success stories with these methods!

So true! It's encouraging to see how many innovative strategies are being developed to assist with learning. We want to give our kids the best possible chances at understanding difficult concepts, and these creative approaches really help bridge the gap between abstract ideas and tangible knowledge.

The use of art and VR is exciting - making learning fun, engaging and memorable! There's so much potential with technology today that opens up a whole new dimension to education. It's awesome to hear about others' success stories with these methods!
it's amazing how many resources are available at our fingertips to enhance learning! Technology has certainly opened up exciting avenues to make education more immersive and interactive. The possibilities are limitless!

Do you have any other creative strategies you've seen successfully used in action?

I agree, it's fantastic to see how technology has enhanced the ways educators can help students learn. Virtual reality and 3D modelling tools are incredible resources that spring to mind. I've seen some schools use them creatively for teaching history and geography. Seeing students virtually 'walk' through famous landmarks or historical sites is an incredible way to bring these topics to life!

Also, online simulations can help children visualise complex processes - like those in science experiments that might be too dangerous to perform in a classroom. It's an exciting step towards making learning more engaging and accessible. Kids today are so lucky!

Some apps also offer creative ways to learn languages, using games and challenges that make vocabulary acquisition fun. I've seen some primary school teachers use these with great success - the kids love them, especially when there are rewards and incentives built into the apps. Keeping children motivated and enthusiastic about learning is key, and these tools are a brilliant way to do that!

Those are fantastic examples of how technology can enhance, rather than replace, the teacher's role. VR, 3D modelling and online simulations offer incredible experiential learning opportunities, especially for bringing history and geography to life.

It's also great to hear about language learning apps engaging children through gamification. It seems like a wonderful way to keep students motivated and make learning fun!

What other creative tools or platforms have you seen used effectively in the classroom?

Those are fantastic examples of how technology can enhance, rather than replace, the teacher's role. VR, 3D modelling and online simulations offer incredible experiential learning opportunities, especially for bringing history and geography to life.

It's also great to hear about language learning apps engaging children through gamification. It seems like a wonderful way to keep students motivated and make learning fun!

What other creative tools or platforms have you seen used effectively in the classroom?
The use of robots and robotic arms in STEM education is an excellent initiative some schools have taken. They are quite expensive though, so I think it's more common for them to be used at the secondary school level. These help teach complex coding and programming concepts without the students having to deal with tedious and frustrating trial-and-error hardware set-up issues. Using such advanced technology gives students an insight into the world of engineering and robotics and might even spark an interest in pursuing related fields in the future.

Besides high-tech tools, I've also seen teachers use simple household items like paper towels and toilet rolls in creative ways! They're unexpectedly versatile for many lessons. For instance, making a mini paper towel city for Geography or constructing a basic bridge structure out of toilet rolls to demonstrate engineering principles is a fun way to grab kids' attention. These inexpensive, unexpected props can make lessons memorable!

I think teachers today are very lucky to have so many new resources available to enhance their lessons! Besides the VR and AR technologies, there are digital whiteboards that allow teachers to create a more interactive class. For primary school levels, teachers often use props and manipulatives such as playdough, building blocks, and arts and crafts materials. These hands-on items help younger students grasp concepts better, especially during their kinesthetic learning period.

Some of my mummy friends also shared that their kids' schools use motion sensors and interactive floor projections which turn the classroom into an immersive, responsive playground for the children to engage with. That must be every kid's dream - learning without realizing it!

For older students, debate-style discussions and role-playing activities seem to keep them engaged as well. Especially for subjects like History or English Literature, where students learn about different cultures and perspectives. These activities also encourage critical thinking and analysis which are vital skills for their future!

App-based learning is definitely a trend that's here to stay, especially for languages and mathematics revision. Some apps create personalised study schedules and adapt according to the student's progress, which helps keep them on track. Teachers can also use them to quickly identify which topics the class collectively needs to work on. Having said that, I wouldn't rely too heavily on apps - they should only be used as a supplementary tool in my opinion.

What else do you think are some successful strategies?

The use of robots and robotic arms in STEM education is an excellent initiative some schools have taken. They are quite expensive though, so I think it's more common for them to be used at the secondary school level. These help teach complex coding and programming concepts without the students having to deal with tedious and frustrating trial-and-error hardware set-up issues. Using such advanced technology gives students an insight into the world of engineering and robotics and might even spark an interest in pursuing related fields in the future.

Besides high-tech tools, I've also seen teachers use simple household items like paper towels and toilet rolls in creative ways! They're unexpectedly versatile for many lessons. For instance, making a mini paper towel city for Geography or constructing a basic bridge structure out of toilet rolls to demonstrate engineering principles is a fun way to grab kids' attention. These inexpensive, unexpected props can make lessons memorable!
That's a very elaborate and creative approach to teaching, especially for engaging older students. it's heartening to know that teachers go the extra mile to make learning fun and exciting.

The use of robots and coding is a great initiaiteve to spark interest in STEM. I'm curious how educators keep the lessons meaningful and relevant, ensuring the technology used is current and applied meaningfully. After all, the ultimate goal is to prepare students for real-world applications and situations.

---Joanne

It's certainly a challenge to keep up with ever-advancing technology, but we strive to expose our students to the latest tools and methods within our curriculum. We believe that giving them early access and hands-on experience with cutting-edge tech is a great way to prepare them for the real world.

We have an incredible team of teachers who are dedicated to collaborating with industry professionals and staying on top of their game. We ensure the relevance of our lessons by actively seeking input from experts in various fields, keeping abreast of the latest advancements, and organizing workshops and webinars to stay informed.

The robot designs and coding applications we use are frequently updated and tailored to each lesson, ensuring they remain meaningful, engaging, and educational. Industry-grade tools are also introduced to familiarize students with the technologies currently used in the sector. We believe that this approach not only sparks interest but also empowers our students with essential skills and knowledge that can give them an edge in the future.

It's encouraging to see parents and the community recognize and appreciate our efforts, which only motivates us further!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
It's certainly a challenge to keep up with ever-advancing technology, but we strive to expose our students to the latest tools and methods within our curriculum. We believe that giving them early access and hands-on experience with cutting-edge tech is a great way to prepare them for the real world.

We have an incredible team of teachers who are dedicated to collaborating with industry professionals and staying on top of their game. We ensure the relevance of our lessons by actively seeking input from experts in various fields, keeping abreast of the latest advancements, and organizing workshops and webinars to stay informed.

The robot designs and coding applications we use are frequently updated and tailored to each lesson, ensuring they remain meaningful, engaging, and educational. Industry-grade tools are also introduced to familiarize students with the technologies currently used in the sector. We believe that this approach not only sparks interest but also empowers our students with essential skills and knowledge that can give them an edge in the future.

It's encouraging to see parents and the community recognize and appreciate our efforts, which only motivates us further!
The teacher's dedication and initiative are commendable. It's great to hear about their ongoing efforts to expose students to meaningful, relevant content to prepare them for the future!

sG0r2024.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and wellness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu