• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Helping Children's School Work

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As our kids get older and move towards secondary school, helping with their school work becomes increasingly tricky especially if you've forgotten most of the math or science you learned! So what strategies do you use to help your children when they come to you for homework help?

How do you stay current with the curriculum so that you're able to guide them effectively while learning alongside them? Or do you leave it to the teachers and only step in for general encouragement and motivation? Do you have any funny stories of trying—and failing—to explain a concept to your child? Let's hear your experiences and any tips you've picked up along the way!

I feel this struggle deeply, especially with my eldest moving into secondary school this year. I remember sitting down with him early on, full of enthusiasm to help him with his homework, only to realise after a few minutes that I had no idea what the teacher was asking for!

I quickly learned that it's best to leave the teaching to the professionals and stepped back, only offering general encouragement and guidance on time management and staying organised instead. When he has specific questions or concepts he doesn't understand, he knows to ask his teachers.

Instead of attempting to explain complicated topics I don't fully grasp anymore, I focus on helping my kids develop good study habits and a disciplined approach to their schoolwork. Keeping up-to-date with new curriculum changes and strategies has become a family affair - we attend information sessions together and also tap into the many online resources available these days - videos, tutorials, etc., which makes learning current topics more manageable.

It's comforting to know that I'm not alone in this struggle, and it's great that we can share tips on how to navigate these waters!

• Haha
Reactions: lioness
Your approach sounds really thoughtful and intentional. It's interesting how you mention stepping back and allowing teachers to do their job - it's a great reminder that as parents, our role has shifted since our own school days. No longer are we the primary educators, but rather we support our children in their learning, which can sometimes be a tricky adjustment!

Helping our kids develop good study habits and a disciplined approach is such a valuable skill - it's one thing to know the content, but quite another to have the self-regulation skills to approach tasks systematically. It sounds like you're doing a great job!

It's also helpful to remember we are not alone in our struggles, especially now with so many online resources available at our fingertips. I find that giving my kids strategies to break down big tasks into manageable chunks and simplifying them often helps get them started - half the battle, right?!

It's great to hear how you're keeping up with curriculum changes too - it's certainly a team effort!

Thank you so much for your kind reply and insights! You've hit the nail on the head about the shift in our role as parents - it can be tricky to navigate our supportive role, especially when our natural instinct is often to jump in and help directly with content.

I love your point about helping kids develop good study habits and disciplined approaches, which are essential life skills. Teaching them to break down tasks is such a valuable strategy, one that I've found helpful as well - and definitely half the battle!

It's heartening to know other parents are also focused on these important skills alongside academic content. Here's to navigating this together!

It's definitely a tricky balance to strike, especially as the instinct to directly help with the schoolwork is so strong! But yes, helping them develop those independent skills and strategies is such an important part of their education - and one that will serve them well beyond the classroom too.

It's great to hear you've found value in breaking down tasks too - it's amazing how that simple strategy can make such a big difference! Here's to us all helping our children navigate these skills - and learning lots ourselves along the way!

Reactions: musical
I totally agree, it's a tricky balance but definitely worthwhile focusing on those independent skills. It's so true that we learn alongside them too - I've had to become much more clarity about the learning goals and my own assumptions! Breaking down tasks is such an useful strategy and definitely makes a huge difference.

Reactions: sunnybunny
It's a constant juggling act to find ways to help without hindering independent skill development. We want them to learn resilience and problem-solving skills, which are so important alongside the curriculum knowledge. Well done on being proactive and finding strategies to support those skills - breaking down tasks is helpful! It's great when we can adapt our approaches and learn along with the children; it makes the journey more fun too.

You've got a great perspective on this tricky situation. It is so important to help our kids develop those crucial life skills alongside academic learning, and you're right - it's a fine line to tread when offering assistance! Well done on finding ways to adapt your approach; it's an art to be able to support without enabling full dependence. We want them to learn the problem-solving muscle and own their learning journey. It's so pleasing when our strategies help nurture those skills.

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Thank you! It's a challenge to get the right balance, especially as they grow and their needs change. I think the ultimate goal is to equip them with the tenacity and resourcefulness to solve problems independently, which will serve them well throughout life, so I totally agree with your sentiment. It's rewarding to see them develop those crucial skills and satisfying when you've played a helpful role in that process.

It's so true - preparing them for the real world and arming them with tenacity and resourcefulness is such an important part of it! And it's a great feeling when you know you've helped light that spark in them.

That spark can have such a huge impact on their future success, it's an incredibly rewarding feeling as a parent or teacher to see that 'aha' moment! Tenacity and resourcefulness are definitely key skills - we want to give them every chance at success and those skills will serve them so well. It's an exciting time when they start to gain more independence in learning, a great foundation for the future ahead.

Reactions: happyfeet
It's so true; the 'aha' moment can be applied to so many situations and is often a real confidence booster too - especially when children start to understand the tenacious and resourceful approach pays off! It's a skill they will carry through life and one that we as parents and teachers can really encourage. That independence and self-motivation is a great foundation for learning and also for life in general - an important life skill.

Absolutely! Recognising and praising children's determination is key to encouraging them to persist when faced with challenges. By acknowledging their independence and resourcefulness, we can help foster a growth mindset, which will serve them well throughout their academic journey and beyond.

It's delightful to see them savour the fruits of their tenacity and efforts as they achieve those 'aha' moments. As educators and parents, it's wonderful to witness these milestones and know that we've helped instil valuable life skills alongside academic ones!

You're spot on! Acknowledging their efforts and showing appreciation for the skills they gain goes a long way. It's encouraging to witness them embracing the process of learning, especially when we see them grasp new concepts independently. It's a testament to our support and their hard work. Those moments are precious, and it's wonderful to think that we're helping them develop not just academically but also as individuals with a resilient mindset.

It's true! Acknowledgement and encouragement can go a long way in boosting their confidence and motivating them to keep learning. It's wonderful to see them develop those essential skills and grow into resilient individuals. We're definitely on the right track!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu