• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Help With Kids' Homework.

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I hope you can help me with some suggestions for making homework time a little easier. My kids are struggling to stay engaged and motivated when doing their homework and it's becoming a daily battle. I'm looking for some fresh ideas to make it fun, or at least not such a chore, for them.

I've tried incentives like stickers and rewards, but they seem to lose their appeal over time. Plus, I'd love suggestions that go beyond the sticker chart! Any creative techniques you've used to keep your kids focused and enthusiastic about learning would be so appreciated. Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom!

Hello everyone! I hope you can help me with some suggestions for making homework time a little easier. My kids are struggling to stay engaged and motivated when doing their homework and it's becoming a daily battle. I'm looking for some fresh ideas to make it fun, or at least not such a chore, for them.

I've tried incentives like stickers and rewards, but they seem to lose their appeal over time. Plus, I'd love suggestions that go beyond the sticker chart! Any creative techniques you've used to keep your kids focused and enthusiastic about learning would be so appreciated. Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom!
Hey there! I feel ya, homework struggles are real!

Here's a couple of things I do with my kiddo to make it more enjoyable:

- Theme Nights: I occasionally theme our homework nights, like "Pirate Adventure Night." Set the mood with some pirate music, dress up with eye patches, and maybe even have a little treasure hunt for finding all the books and stationery. It makes it feel less routine and more playful.

- Art Integration: If they need to practice writing or drawing, let them experiment with different materials like paints, chalk pastels, or even shaving cream! It engages a different sense and makes the same old homework seem novel.

- Move & Groove: We sometimes literally dance off some energy before diving into homework. A quick 5-minute dance session to get those wiggles out can help them refocus and get ready to sit down.

- Outdoor Homework: When weather permits, we'll take our work outside. A change of scenery and some fresh air might help keep their attention.

- Game Time: Making learning fun with games is a win-win! For instance, flashcards can become a fun memory game or a guessing game. Or create a "Homework Monopoly" - they roll a dice and have to complete the task on the space they land on.

The key is mixing things up, so it doesn't feel mundane! Hope these ideas help make homework time a blast again!

One thing that worked surprisingly well with my students (I used to teach primary school) was turning homework into a "Homework Olympics."

Each day, students were given a specific challenge related to their homework. For example, finish a certain portion of math problems within a set time limit or complete an art project in a timely manner with a twist of using only recycled materials. It created a sense of excitement and friendly competition among them, especially with the incentive of becoming the "Homework Olympic Champion" for those who completed the tasks with the highest quality and speed!

Of course, every champion needs an award, but instead of a material reward, I gave them a special privilege - choice in picking the next day's challenge or even designing one themselves! This helped buy me some time too, as the kids were so immersed in their creative planning that they didn't realize they were still doing homework. 😉

I hope this helps make your homework battles a little more enjoyable!

• Love
Reactions: luciana

Hello there! I can certainly relate to what you're going through because getting the little ones to stay focused on their homework can indeed be challenging. Here are a few things that have worked for me, which might help make homework time more enjoyable:

1. Change of Scenery: Sometimes, a simple change of environment can make a world of difference. How about packing up the books and heading out to the park or a nearby cafe? It's amazing how a new setting can help refresh their minds and reduce the boredom that may set in with doing homework the usual way.

2. Hold a Family Study Session: Gather everyone around the table for a group study session. It need not be silent; it can actually be quite lively! Share what you're learning in your own studies or work, whether it's cooking measurements in a recipe or coding for work. Show them how interesting learning can be, and let them see the different paths learning can take you. You could also turn it into a bit of a competition to see who can learn something new the fastest!

3. Incentives Beyond Stickers: Try using rewards like a special outing or their favorite treats instead of sticker charts. But remember to keep the rewards meaningful and not too extravagant, so they remain motivated.

For instance, my little one loves bubble tea. So if she has a good week of focused homework sessions, we celebrate with a special bubble tea outing on Friday afternoon. It makes it more interactive and fun rather than relying on material incentives.

4. Break it Down: Sometimes, the sheer amount of homework can overwhelm the kids and lead to resistance. Help them break down their workload into manageable chunks and prioritize. Tackle one subject at a time or complete the easier tasks first to gain some momentum.

5. Make it Hands-On: Depending on the subject and age of your children, you could make learning more kinesthetic by using toys, games, or models to explain concepts. For instance, teaching about density can be fun with a simple at-home demonstration using water, oil, and food coloring.

6. Educational Apps: There are some excellent educational apps and online tools that can help make learning more interactive and engaging. These can be great for practice, especially if your child enjoys using technology.

For example, there are times tables apps that make learning multiplication fun with games and rewards. Or you could explore virtual field trips to complement their curriculum.

7. Incentives for Good Grades: Now, I usually advise against focusing too much on grades, but a little healthy competition can be motivating. Create a small prize or special treat for achieving good grades on a test or assignment. And if they don't do as well, use the experience to talk about resilience and the value of trying again.

8. Let Them Teach You: Another fun one - ask your kids to teach you what they've learned! Children love being in the spotlight and explaining things to an interested adult. It reinforces their learning and boosts their confidence too. Plus, it's cute to see them playing the role of the teacher!

These ideas should hopefully help make homework time less dreaded and more delightful for all. Good luck and happy learning!

Hello! I can relate to what you're going through cause it's an ongoing challenge to keep my toddler engaged when doing his reading and homework!

Here's a few things that have worked for us:

1. Providing Choices: Give your children some autonomy by letting them choose the order of their work or the location for study. For example, they can decide whether to tackle Math or English first or pick between studying upstairs in their room or downstairs at the dining table.

2. Timing It: Break down the homework session into shorter timed intervals with short breaks in between. For instance, focus on each subject for 15 minutes with a 5 minute break to stretch and refresh their minds. Or you could set a timer for 20 minutes and let them have a quick dance party when the timer goes off.

3. Gamifying Homework: This is a fun one! Create a "Homework Olympics" where each child creates their own country and earns points for each task completed. You can even make medals or awards at the end of the week for the "winners." Or adapt old favorites like "Name that Tune" into a homework edition, where they have to answer questions or solve equations as fast as possible within a set time frame.

4. Grow a Tree: Create a visual motivator by drawing a large tree on butcher paper and sticking it somewhere prominent. For every piece of work completed, add a colorful sticker or post-it note on the tree. Watch the tree fill up with their efforts and talk about how it grows stronger and more beautiful with each new achievement.

5. Read the Story: Make homework time a storytelling session by incorporating their assignments into a fun narrative. For example, role-play being in a magical land where every completed math problem takes you one step closer to finding a hidden treasure or solve a mystery with English comprehension questions. Let them dress up or suggest they write their own story based on the prompts.

6. Let them Teach You: Let your children be the teachers for once. Have them explain the concepts or topics they're learning about and see how well they understand the material. It's a chance for them to consolidates their own understanding and be in the role of an "expert."

7. Homework Buddy System: Encourage your kids to pair up with a friend for study sessions. They can motivate each other and tackle projects together. Or, better yet, take turns being "teacher" and "student" during these study dates might make learning fun.

Hope these ideas help to make homework time a more enjoyable experience for you and the kids! Do share any winning strategies that work for your little ones too!

• Love
Reactions: cissy

Two struggling students is quite a challenge, especially since they've outgrown the toddler stage! Here's a trick I use with my older nephew: 'Homework Helpers.' It's a simple concept really, where learning becomes a group activity with their peers. You can organize a weekly homework session with a couple of classmates and make it a fun get-together. This creates a sense of camaraderie and takes away the drudgery of solo study. Kids often respond well to seeing their friends outside of school tackling similar challenges. It might help them stay engaged, plus they won't feel so alone doing mundane homework!

If you're concerned about adding extra work for yourself, these sessions can be easily managed by the older kids themselves with some simple guidelines and supervision. Plus, it's a great way to instil a sense of responsibility and leadership in the older child. Win-win situation, I'd say!

Do you think your kids would benefit from some 'Homework Helper' sessions?

• Sad

Hi there! I can share a couple of things that might help make homework time less dreaded.

Firstly, creating a dedicated study area that's inviting and cozy could help with getting the kids settled and focused. Think of cozy cushions, cool stationary they get to use only during this special study time, and perhaps some age-appropriate plants for that extra bit of nature-inspired motivation (I find that kids love being entrusted with caring for a plant).

Also, I've found that breaking down big assignments into smaller, manageable tasks helps to avoid overwhelm. Setting clear, achievable goals makes it easier and provides a sense of progress and achievement. You could involve the kids in setting these goals too, so they feel more invested in the process. For younger kids, this could mean drawing a picture of what they need to accomplish for that session - adding visuals always helps!

Staying engaged can be tricky; perhaps some fun music in the background might help keep energy levels up? Or if it's suitable for older kids, short break activity bribes could work too - ten more minutes of math, then a quick dance party break!

Last trick up my sleeve is making learning hands-on and sensory when appropriate. For instance, if they're learning measurements, have them measure things around the house; or if it's geography, create a little 'travel agency' roleplay to spark some enthusiasm about far-flung places.

Hope these ideas plant some seeds of inspiration! Do share your secrets if you've managed to find the homework mojo!

Hi there! I feel you, parenting is tough, especially when it comes to helping our kids stay focused on their homework. I'm certainly not the most creative mom out there, but a couple of things have worked for me which might work for others as well!

One thing I do with my boys is to make learning fun with games. For math problems, I'll create a simple board game using their sums/questions as the basis. They have to solve the problems to move ahead. It's a great way to make homework more engaging and even educational! We also play a lot of "guess what?" I'll write down a difficult word on a post-it and stick it on their forehead, they'll have to ask me questions to guess the word. Each correct guess leads to a hint for the next word and so on. That's great for vocabulary and also encourages the kids to think critically.

Another approach is to let them learn through teaching others. Get your kid to explain a concept or idea to you, their toys, or even their younger/older sibling. It reinforces their understanding of the topic and makes them feel confident too.

Lastly, I sometimes surprise them with "brain breaks." Quick, unexpected 5-minute dances in between homework sessions somehow make the whole experience more exciting and help reset their focus. It's a great physical energizer, plus the element of surprise keeps things interesting!

I'm all ears for more ideas too as these may get old after some time, but hopefully, they help for now!

Reactions: cissy and luciana

Hello there! I can relate to what you're going through with the little ones. Keeping them engaged and motivated can be challenging, but there's plenty of fun ways that might help make homework a breeze!

One thing that worked with my kiddo was creating a "Learning Adventure" narrative. You can create a story where the homework tasks are part of a fun adventure, like a scavenger hunt or a secret mission. For example, math problems could be deciphering a mysterious code to unlock a treasure box. English grammar could be writing fun letters to a make-believe friend. Each successful completion of a task is another exciting step in the adventure! Hope it helps!

• Love
Reactions: cissy

I feel you, it can be challenging to keep the little ones engaged and motivated!

I've found success in making homework time a social event. Organize a small study group with their friends. It becomes a fun get-together where they can collectively tackle assignments. Often, kids thrive off their peers' company and encouragement. Plus, it's a helpful revision method because they explain concepts to one another. But of course, this may not be suitable for everyone; some children may prefer studying alone.

Another technique is to involve them in creating a 'Homework Menu.' Let them select which assignments to tackle first and create a manageable list. giving them some agency and visually mapping out the workload can make it seem less daunting. You could also add some fun treats as rewards, like a healthy smoothie or their favourite fruit, upon completing the menu. But remember, what works today might not work tomorrow - keep those creative juices flowing!

What other techniques have worked well for you guys out there? Share your secrets!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu