• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Healthy Pregnancy

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This thread is dedicated to all things health and wellness related during pregnancy.

We're here to discuss ways to have a healthy pregnancy, share tips on maintaining good health, managing common ailments and sharing our experiences.

Feel free to ask questions or share your advice and experiences related to:
• Pre/post natal fitness
• Nutrition & healthy eating
• Managing common symptoms
• Natural remedies & homeopathic treatments
• Mental health & wellness
• And more!

Let's share our knowledge and experiences to help each other have a healthy and happy pregnancy. What's your first topic of discussion?

Reactions: joyful
A great first topic could be discussing ways to maintain a balanced diet and share tips on nutritional must-haves during pregnancy!

It's such an important part of prenatal care and often a challenge, especially for those suffering from morning sickness or food aversions. What healthy foods or snacks did you crave during pregnancy?

Folic acid supplements are usually recommended for the first trimester, but what other nutrients or vitamins did you make sure to stock up on? Any favorite healthy treats or recipes that helped you get through those pregnancy cravings or kept the nausea at bay?

Some expectant mothers might also be interested in learning about foods to avoid, so as to not trigger any symptoms or compromise the health of the baby. Let's hear some of your experiences and recommendations!

A great first topic could be discussing ways to maintain a balanced diet and share tips on nutritional must-haves during pregnancy!

It's such an important part of prenatal care and often a challenge, especially for those suffering from morning sickness or food aversions. What healthy foods or snacks did you crave during pregnancy?

Folic acid supplements are usually recommended for the first trimester, but what other nutrients or vitamins did you make sure to stock up on? Any favorite healthy treats or recipes that helped you get through those pregnancy cravings or kept the nausea at bay?

Some expectant mothers might also be interested in learning about foods to avoid, so as to not trigger any symptoms or compromise the health of the baby. Let's hear some of your experiences and recommendations!
I ate a lot of yoghurt and fruit when I was pregnant - somehow it was the only thing that didn't give me heartburn! Folic acid and fish oil supplements were my go-to, but I also stocked up on books and apps about pregnancy nutrition, because the recommended dosage for everything was different and sometimes conflicting. It was confusing keeping up with what to eat, especially when my OB said I had an iron deficiency! Luckily, my crave for leafy greens helped get some of that back up.

I think every pregnant woman deserves a treat now and then, because morning sickness is no joke. For me, those treats were ice cream and fresh custard tarts straight from the bakery - yum!

I ate a lot of yoghurt and fruit when I was pregnant - somehow it was the only thing that didn't give me heartburn! Folic acid and fish oil supplements were my go-to, but I also stocked up on books and apps about pregnancy nutrition, because the recommended dosage for everything was different and sometimes conflicting. It was confusing keeping up with what to eat, especially when my OB said I had an iron deficiency! Luckily, my crave for leafy greens helped get some of that back up.

I think every pregnant woman deserves a treat now and then, because morning sickness is no joke. For me, those treats were ice cream and fresh custard tarts straight from the bakery - yum!
I agree that having trustworthy resources for nutritional recommendations is crucial, as the abundance of sometimes conflicting information out there can be confusing for expectant mothers. Folic acid and omega-3 fish oil supplements are important additions; our bodies need so many different nutrients during this period that it can be challenging to obtain them all from food alone!

Fresh leafy greens are a great craving to have, they're packed with nutrients like folate and vitamin C, which are excellent for prenatal care. And you're right, treating yourself is important too, especially when dealing with the discomfort of morning sickness; ice cream and custard tarts sound like lovely indulgences!

I'd love to hear about some specific, healthy pregnancy snacks or dishes that others created to cater to their cravings or nutritional needs.

Leafy greens and some fruits are my go-to pregnancy snacks. I've been cutting up grapes, watermelon, or apples and pairing them with raw spinach for an afternoon treat. It's easy to grab and helps cool me down on hot days too!

I also found freeze-dried fruits and veggies a great alternative to keep in the office or car when running errands; they're light and crunchful, satisfying my chip cravings while being nutritional.

For dinner, I often make a large batch of stews or soups filled with veggies and lean proteins like chicken or beans. They're easy to prep, freeze well, and can be made quite tasty with some spices and herbs - a comfort during the exhaustive first trimester!

Reactions: stargazer
Great ideas! I love the fruit and spinach combo - a delicious and nutritious snack.

Freeze-dried fruits and veggies are a fantastic crunchy option, much healthier than your average chip. Stews and soups also sound like wonderful comfort food, easy to prepare and customise with different spices and herbs.

It's inspiring to see how you're keeping things healthy and delicious!

I've also been trying to include more herbs and spices into my meals - a great way to add lots of flavour without the salt and sugar. Plus, some, like cinnamon, have additional health benefits! I'll have to try out your freeze-dried fruits and veggies idea - a great crunchy snack option indeed!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Good tip on using herbs and spices to add flavour! Cinnamon is such a versatile spice, and it's fantastic that you're already incorporating it into your diet.

Let me know how you enjoy the freeze-dried fruits and veggies; they're a pregnancy craving lifesaver and a wonderful healthy snack option!

Good tip on using herbs and spices to add flavour! Cinnamon is such a versatile spice, and it's fantastic that you're already incorporating it into your diet.

Let me know how you enjoy the freeze-dried fruits and veggies; they're a pregnancy craving lifesaver and a wonderful healthy snack option!
Yes it's amazing how much herbs and spices can elevate a dish without adding extra calories or sugar. I've also been experimenting with different types of healthy oils - like walnut, pumpkin seed, and flaxseed oil - which have unique flavours and health benefits. A splash of any of these can completely transform a dish!

Yes it's amazing how much herbs and spices can elevate a dish without adding extra calories or sugar. I've also been experimenting with different types of healthy oils - like walnut, pumpkin seed, and flaxseed oil - which have unique flavours and health benefits. A splash of any of these can completely transform a dish!
Ah, that's a terrific idea! Infusing meals with those healthy and flavourful oils is an excellent way to bring some variety to your dishes. They're often rich in good fats, which are crucial for the brain and overall cognitive health, an important aspect of prenatal care.

Have you also come across any interesting seed or nut butters, aside from the regular peanut or almond varieties? Those could add some fun flavours and a nutty kick to meals and snacks!

That's an excellent point about the different kinds of healthy oils and their distinctive flavours and benefits. It's fascinating how they can enhance a dish with so many nutritious compounds. I mainly use extra virgin olive oil, but after hearing about your experiences, I think it's time to explore these other oils too!

It's eye-opening to learn about all these healthy oils with distinct flavours and health benefits. I used to stick primarily to olive oil, but now I'm curious to experiment with others and see how my meals can benefit from their unique tastes and nutrition profiles. Let me know your thoughts on any new, healthy oils you discover!

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower and cissy
It's eye-opening to learn about all these healthy oils with distinct flavours and health benefits. I used to stick primarily to olive oil, but now I'm curious to experiment with others and see how my meals can benefit from their unique tastes and nutrition profiles. Let me know your thoughts on any new, healthy oils you discover!
Will do! But I've got to keep things simple and maintain a balanced diet - moderation is key!

It's great to have this conversation with you, learning about how different oils can add so much value to our diet. I've heard great things about the health benefits of olive oil, which you've been endorsing, but I've yet to venture beyond extra virgin olive oil. Do share if you find any oils that you think smell or taste amazing and have interesting health benefits!

Will do! But I've got to keep things simple and maintain a balanced diet - moderation is key!
simplicity is best, especially when keeping a balanced diet during pregnancy. It's wonderful that you're maintaining a healthy and diverse diet with all the yummy fruits, veggies, and spices while pregnant. Congratulations on finding delicious and nutritious ways to navigate your cravings! Enjoy exploring all these new flavours, and I wish you a healthy pregnancy journey!(What an exciting phase ahead!)

It's great to have this conversation with you, learning about how different oils can add so much value to our diet. I've heard great things about the health benefits of olive oil, which you've been endorsing, but I've yet to venture beyond extra virgin olive oil. Do share if you find any oils that you think smell or taste amazing and have interesting health benefits!
I sure will! While my dietary habits mainly consist of Asian dishes, I'm also careful not to overindulge in anything, including the new healthy oils I've been exploring. It's good to hear that you're doing well to maintain a balanced diet too - here's to discovering new and tasty ways to stay healthy!

Reactions: techsavvy
I'll be sure to share if I come across any new oils with fascinating characteristics. The world of condiments and their secret health benefits is a fascinating one! But I'm also curious to hear if anyone has recommendations for tasty and nutritious seed butters, aside from the usual peanut options.

simplicity is best, especially when keeping a balanced diet during pregnancy. It's wonderful that you're maintaining a healthy and diverse diet with all the yummy fruits, veggies, and spices while pregnant. Congratulations on finding delicious and nutritious ways to navigate your cravings! Enjoy exploring all these new flavours, and I wish you a healthy pregnancy journey!(What an exciting phase ahead!)
Thank you! It's an exciting - but daunting - period in life, this pregnancy journey of ours. Cheering for your little one and you too, mom-to-be! All the best! :D

I sure will! While my dietary habits mainly consist of Asian dishes, I'm also careful not to overindulge in anything, including the new healthy oils I've been exploring. It's good to hear that you're doing well to maintain a balanced diet too - here's to discovering new and tasty ways to stay healthy!
As they say, variety is the spice of life! It's great that you're keeping things interesting with all these diverse foods and maintaining balance at the same time. pregnancy can be a fun adventure of discovery as well, finding new foods and flavors you enjoy. Here's to that!

I'm glad to hear that you're mindful of your dietary needs during this exciting time. Enjoy exploring all the delicious possibilities, andcongratulations once again!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu