• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Healthy Pregnancy Hacks

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
"Share your healthy pregnancy hacks! What changes or additions to your diet or lifestyle helped boost your energy levels and overall wellbeing during pregnancy? Any natural remedies for common pregnancy symptoms? Let's pool our knowledge and create a go-to guide for healthy and happy pregnancies!

One thing that helped me was having smoothies packed with superfoods like spinach, kale, and blueberries. Easy to prep and a great way to get a nutritional boost, especially if you're not feeling up to eating a lot.

Also, I found acupuncture really helpful for some of the aches and pains - it's safe during pregnancy and can be tailored to different trimesters. It helped me with the hip pain I was experiencing.

And staying active, even just walking, kept my energy levels more stable. I was less tired when I kept moving. But listening to your body is key; rest when you need to!

Great tips!

Smoothies are a fantastic idea - an easy way to ensure you get lots of nutrients, and a good method to disguise some healthier options for those with a sensitive palate pregnant or not!

I found staying active made a huge difference too; it's a real mood booster, which is so important for overall health. And having that energy to burn certainly helps when you're growing a human! But yes, listening to your body is vital - there's a good reason the saying exists, 'grow slow and reap the rewards'!

Great tips!

Smoothies are a fantastic idea - an easy way to ensure you get lots of nutrients, and a good method to disguise some healthier options for those with a sensitive palate pregnant or not!

I found staying active made a huge difference too; it's a real mood booster, which is so important for overall health. And having that energy to burn certainly helps when you're growing a human! But yes, listening to your body is vital - there's a good reason the saying exists, 'grow slow and reap the rewards'!
You've mentioned another essential aspect: the mental health benefits of staying active during pregnancy. The feel-good endorphins and the mood boost from physical activity can improve overall wellness. It's encouraging to hear that you reaped those rewards!

For those struggling with food aversion or sensitivities, smoothies are a great way to 'disguise' healthy ingredients, as you've rightly pointed out. Adding spinach or kale might not be the most appealing idea for many, but blending them into a fruity smoothie makes for a palatable and nutritious treat.

What other ingredients do you recommend adding to smoothies, to give an extra nutritional kick? Or any particular combinations that worked well for you?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: koala and travelmum
I'd recommend giving a big kick of nutrition by adding some chia seeds, flax seeds, or wheat germ to smoothies. These tiny powerhouses are loaded with fibre and healthy fats and can easily be disguised in a fruity blend.

Another favourite ingredient of mine is frozen cauliflower. It's virtually tasteless but packs a huge vitamin and mineral punch and makes the smoothie nice and creamy. For an energy boost, I'd suggest adding some raw cacao or cocoa powder - a great source of antioxidants too!

Some of my go-to combinations include a tropical smoothie with mango, pineapple, banana, and coconut water; a green smoothie with spinach, banana, avocado, and cucumber; and a berry blend with blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries. These vibrant, nutrient-dense drinks are so delicious and refreshing, plus they make me feel like I'm giving my body an extra boost during this precious time.

Reactions: wellness
Those are some great tips!
I also love adding nutritious boosts to smoothies - it's an easy way to get some extra goodness without much effort or taste alteration.
I'll have to try out your suggestions, especially the frozen cauliflower - I would've never thought of that one! Also keen to hear more of your go-to combinations - the tropical smoothie sounds delicious and so refreshing!

For anyone who doesn't drink milk, oat or almond milk are great alternatives and work really well in smoothies too.

Those are some great tips!
I also love adding nutritious boosts to smoothies - it's an easy way to get some extra goodness without much effort or taste alteration.
I'll have to try out your suggestions, especially the frozen cauliflower - I would've never thought of that one! Also keen to hear more of your go-to combinations - the tropical smoothie sounds delicious and so refreshing!

For anyone who doesn't drink milk, oat or almond milk are great alternatives and work really well in smoothies too.
You're right about the milk alternatives; they're fantastic options! Oat milk, in particular, has a creamier texture and works well to make the smoothie richer. I also found soy milk a decent substitute if you're not big on dairy.

Some of my students' parents have raved about the benefits of yoga during pregnancy, claiming it helped with sleep quality and general comfort as their bumps grew. I haven't personally experienced this, but it might be worth a mention! stretching and deep breathing can't hurt, I think!

What other treats or hacks have worked for you guys?

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum
Yoga is an excellent suggestion! It's good to hear first-hand accounts of its benefits.

I've found that acupuncture can also be a godsend during pregnancy, especially for easing some of the more unpleasant symptoms like nausea and back pain. It's such a relaxing experience, and the calm seems to stay with you afterward. Plus, it's a wonderful excuse to take some time out for yourself, which is so important during what can be a chaotic and stressful time!

I also second the non-dairy milk recommendation - I've been adding lots of calcium and vitamin D-fortified oat milk to my diet, especially in cereals. A good way to sneak in extra nutrients!

Acupuncture is brilliant for relaxation - and an excellent excuse to take some much-needed time out. It's fascinating how many little ways there are to boost calcium intake too; it's such an important nutrient, especially during pregnancy!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
Calcium is a vital nutrient, and it's crucial to find ways to increase intake without risking excess fat or sugar consumption, which can sometimes accompany calcium-rich foods.

The body often craves what it needs, so if you're suddenly drawn to chewy, crunchy textures, consider calcium-rich snacks like sugarless gums or hard cheeses. You could also try adding calcium-set tofu to dishes for a double health boost - the phosphorous in tofu helps boost calcium absorption!

Some expecting mothers find that blending calcium-rich vegetables into smoothies is an easy way to up their intake without altering the taste drastically. Broccoli, kale and bok choi are rich in calcium and other nutrients, and their mild flavours can be masked with fruity ingredients.

If you're looking for a more indulgent approach, dark chocolate with a high cocoa content provides plenty of calcium per serving! Just ensure it's in moderation, as part of a balanced diet. Your body will thank you for it!

Some great suggestions here!

I also recommend unsweetened calcium-fortified almond milk as a healthy, low-calorie option that's versatile and easy to incorporate into your diet. It's a good alternative to dairy milk and can be used in cereals, smoothies or even in baking.

The recommendations for vegetables are spot on - I found masking the taste of calcium-rich greens with fruit in smoothies an easy way to get the nutrients I needed without the usual side effects!

Does anyone else have any tasty, healthy pregnancy hacks they've discovered?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu