• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Healthy pregnancy habits

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Yes indeed pregnancy can be a challenging time when one has to be mindful about their health and habits! Many mothers find it difficult to maintain good oral hygiene during this period due to morning sickness and food cravings leading to increased consumption of sweet and sugary treats, not to mention the discomfort and fatigue that comes with the territory. However, most agree that keeping up a healthy diet, staying hydrated, getting adequate rest and staying active are key in maintaining a healthy pregnancy and set good habits for life.

Maintaining oral hygiene is crucial during pregnancy, and brushing teeth twice daily with fluoride toothpaste as well as flossing is highly recommended to prevent dental issues like gingivitis. Eating healthily is a challenge many moms face, with constant cravings tempting one to indulge in unhealthy snacks. However, keeping a stock of healthy snacks and planning meals can help satisfy hunger pangs while providing the needed nutrients for both mom and baby.

Staying active is also encouraged, with moderate exercises like walking and swimming being safe and beneficial for both mom and baby, helping to ease aches and improve sleep quality. Some moms also find stretching and yoga helpful in easing pregnancy discomfort, but it's important not to overexert oneself.

Lastly, regular prenatal checkups are emphasized as vital, giving peace of mind and ensuring the health and development of the baby. Developing healthy habits during pregnancy is beneficial for both mother and child, although it can be challenging work! It's heartening to hear that many moms find creative ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle despite the obstacles and changes their bodies go through.

Habits to develop for a healthy pregnancy include many aspects of holistic health, some of which are:

- Maintaining excellent oral hygiene including twice daily tooth brushing, flossing, and using mouthwash.

- Healthy eating habits, incorporating lots of fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains, healthy fats, and calcium rich foods while limiting processed and sugary products. Following a balanced diet such as the Mediterranean diet is beneficial.

- Staying hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day.

- Getting regular physical activity or exercise, aiming for 30 minutes daily. This can include pregnancy-safe exercises like walking, swimming, yoga or Pilates.

- Managing stress with mindful practices like meditation or deep breathing, as chronic stress can impact fetal development and increase risks of complications such as preterm labor.

- Getting adequate sleep, which can be challenging during pregnancy with changing body shapes and hormonal fluctuations. Naps become a necessary luxury!

- Limiting exposure to potential environmental toxins, including chemicals and pesticides, by choosing organic foods and personal care products where possible. Also, avoiding uncooked meat, raw seafood, and soft cheeses.

- Attending all recommended prenatal checkups, ultrasounds, and screenings, as these are vital for monitoring the health of both mother and baby.

- Supplements: Taking prenatal vitamins and omega-3 fatty acid supplements, which can help with neural tube development and reduce risks of preterm birth and low birth weight.

Pregnancy is a time to nurture and nourish your body, and these healthy habits can make all the difference! What are some of your go-to healthy habits or strategies?

• Love
Reactions: chickadee and koala
Habits to develop for a healthy pregnancy include many aspects of holistic health, some of which are:

- Maintaining excellent oral hygiene including twice daily tooth brushing, flossing, and using mouthwash.

- Healthy eating habits, incorporating lots of fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains, healthy fats, and calcium rich foods while limiting processed and sugary products. Following a balanced diet such as the Mediterranean diet is beneficial.

- Staying hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day.

- Getting regular physical activity or exercise, aiming for 30 minutes daily. This can include pregnancy-safe exercises like walking, swimming, yoga or Pilates.

- Managing stress with mindful practices like meditation or deep breathing, as chronic stress can impact fetal development and increase risks of complications such as preterm labor.

- Getting adequate sleep, which can be challenging during pregnancy with changing body shapes and hormonal fluctuations. Naps become a necessary luxury!

- Limiting exposure to potential environmental toxins, including chemicals and pesticides, by choosing organic foods and personal care products where possible. Also, avoiding uncooked meat, raw seafood, and soft cheeses.

- Attending all recommended prenatal checkups, ultrasounds, and screenings, as these are vital for monitoring the health of both mother and baby.

- Supplements: Taking prenatal vitamins and omega-3 fatty acid supplements, which can help with neural tube development and reduce risks of preterm birth and low birth weight.

Pregnancy is a time to nurture and nourish your body, and these healthy habits can make all the difference! What are some of your go-to healthy habits or strategies?
I’m sure most mums-to-be would love to hear this! It's great to have a holistic approach and be mindful of our health during this special time.

For me, eating right was a priority; I craved lots of fruits and veggies, which my body seemed to need. I went for plenty of walks too, which was a nice, gentle exercise that helped keep my energy levels up without being too tiring. Also, taking short naps whenever possible was a lifesaver! And of course, attending those prenatal checkups was a must - gave me peace of mind and felt like a little treat to see the little one growing healthily!

I’m sure most mums-to-be would love to hear this! It's great to have a holistic approach and be mindful of our health during this special time.

For me, eating right was a priority; I craved lots of fruits and veggies, which my body seemed to need. I went for plenty of walks too, which was a nice, gentle exercise that helped keep my energy levels up without being too tiring. Also, taking short naps whenever possible was a lifesaver! And of course, attending those prenatal checkups was a must - gave me peace of mind and felt like a little treat to see the little one growing healthily!
Eating right and staying active is so important, and it sounds like you had a great, healthy routine going! Those short naps are a godsend in between all the exhaustion and energy spikes during pregnancy.

I found that keeping hydrated and oral hygiene helped me a lot too - kept my head clear and energy levels stable. Also, I tried to keep up with my yoga practice which was great for flexibility and kept aches and pains at bay as the bump grew! Anything to make those 9 months easier, right?! Haha.

Eating right and staying active is so important, and it sounds like you had a great, healthy routine going! Those short naps are a godsend in between all the exhaustion and energy spikes during pregnancy.

I found that keeping hydrated and oral hygiene helped me a lot too - kept my head clear and energy levels stable. Also, I tried to keep up with my yoga practice which was great for flexibility and kept aches and pains at bay as the bump grew! Anything to make those 9 months easier, right?! Haha.
Moms know best! Pregnant or not, staying hydrated and keeping up with oral hygiene is so crucial - especially when you're growing a human! It's fascinating how yoga can help with flexibility and ease the aches; I'm sure many moms-to-be would find this helpful!

I didn't realize the significance of resting and sleeping during pregnancy till my third trimester hit me like a truck! Ha. Fortunately, by then, I'd picked up on some good habits, including napping whenever the chance arose!

Moms know best! Pregnant or not, staying hydrated and keeping up with oral hygiene is so crucial - especially when you're growing a human! It's fascinating how yoga can help with flexibility and ease the aches; I'm sure many moms-to-be would find this helpful!

I didn't realize the significance of resting and sleeping during pregnancy till my third trimester hit me like a truck! Ha. Fortunately, by then, I'd picked up on some good habits, including napping whenever the chance arose!
It's true - rest and sleep are so underrated in terms of importance during pregnancy! The body is working overtime and needs all the recharging it can get. I found that lying on my left side with a comfortable pillow beneath my bump helped immensely with sleep quality. Also, having cold pressed juices and healthy smoothies gave me a nice boost of nutrients and energy!

It's true - rest and sleep are so underrated in terms of importance during pregnancy! The body is working overtime and needs all the recharging it can get. I found that lying on my left side with a comfortable pillow beneath my bump helped immensely with sleep quality. Also, having cold pressed juices and healthy smoothies gave me a nice boost of nutrients and energy!
Some really good points there! It's amazing how many ways there are to improve rest and make pregnancy more comfortable. I found that using a pregnancy pillow really helped me get some much-needed support, especially toward the end when the bump gets bigger. And cold baths or showers to cool down were heavenly! I'm sure other mums would have lots of recommendations too for keeping comfy.

Some really good points there! It's amazing how many ways there are to improve rest and make pregnancy more comfortable. I found that using a pregnancy pillow really helped me get some much-needed support, especially toward the end when the bump gets bigger. And cold baths or showers to cool down were heavenly! I'm sure other mums would have lots of recommendations too for keeping comfy.
Ahh yes, I agree totally! Pregnancy pillows are a godsend, especially for getting some comfortable shuteye during the third trimester. Cold baths sound so soothing - I might give that a go the next time around! Each pregnancy is so different; there's always something new to discover or try.

True that! Eating clean and staying active is such a huge part of it. And also making sure to keep up with your checks at the doc - can't be too careful!

I found that doing some light stretching, especially towards the third trimester, helped me sleep better and ease some of those pregnancy aches and pains. Also, keeping well-hydrated and having lots of fruits helped me a ton with first trimester fatigue - true energy boosters!

Oh, and another trick I used was using essential oils to help with nausea. Nothing worse than feeling like you're gonna puke but can't! haha. Some peppermint or lemon oil on a handkerchief did the trick most days.

Reactions: mamamia
Yah! Pregnancy is a time to take extra good care of ourselves! I agree with you on the oral hygiene bit - got to keep those pearly whites sparkling and healthy twice as much now haha!

Eating healthy is so important too, but it also means no more overeating cos we're eating for two. Gotta watch the sugar and greasy stuff and go for more fruits and veggies. Good thing there are so many tasty and healthy options these days - it's easy to get our five-a-day!

And yup, staying active is key - walking and swimming are great options makes me feel so much better, plus helps with all the aches and pains that come with the territory! Can also try some stretching exercises which are safe for pregnancy.

difficult to catch enough zzz's these days with all the tossing and turning, but getting adequate rest is so vital too! And of course, got to attend all the checkups - they give me peace of mind, knowing that everything's going smooth and the little one's doing good!

Yeah, there're so many things to consider, but it's all worth it in the end, right? 😊😉

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Yah, stretching is super helpful and feels so good, especially when you're feeling stiff and uncomfortable towards the end. And I totally agree about keeping hydrated and eating lots of fruits - so important to keep your energy levels up!

I also heard that essential oils can help with pregnancy symptoms, but didn't really believe it till you said it worked for you! Might have to stock up on some peppermint oil for my next pregnancy - thanks for the tip!

• Haha
Reactions: lioness
Pregnancy's no joke! Gotta keep up with healthy eating habits cos what you eat, baby eats too. And don't forget the exercises! But mind you, don't overdo it - take things slow and steady. Keep up with the prenatal checks too, they're super important!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
Ya, oral hygiene is super impt! I also heard that eating right is a big part of keeping healthy during pregnancy. Cannot be complacent about nutrition intake - got to ensure baby gets all the goodness for development! And of cos, no smoking and drunkard-ing!! Haha. But seriously, it's good to avoid any harmful chemicals during this period. Also, try not to overdo things - must pace yourself and get plenty of rest. The body is working overtime, so sufficient sleep is v impt!

• Haha
Reactions: lioness
Yeah, sure thing! Pregnancy's no easy feat, so developing good habits can help loads!

I'd focus on keeping fit and eating right. Going for walks and doing some light yoga kept me active and helped with sleep too. Hard to keep up an exercise routine, but worth it in the long run!

Eating-wise, I craved all sorts of food, so had to really plan meals carefully and stock up on healthy snacks like nuts and fresh fruit. Also, drinking plenty of water like you said - super important, as are those prenatal vitamins!

Keeping a close tab on checkups was vital too, as it gave me peace of mind and ensured the little one was doing well. Can't be too careful! All in all, these healthy habits made me feel more in control and definitely helped keep me cheerful throughout the pregnancy, heh!

Reactions: travelmum
Eh, maintaining good hygiene habs like brushing teeth twice a day so smelly breath don't hit you like truck reverse gear la! Also got ah, eating right - so no more junk food and super sweet stuff. I try to go for organic food as much as possible 'cause of all the pesticides hidden inside the fancy packaging these days.

And oh ya, cannot forget the most challenging part - trying to catch enough zzzs with all the crazy pregnancy body changes! Some days feel like such a mission impossible but definitely worth it in the end!

For sure, keeping fit and eating right is a great way to stay healthy during pregnancy! Having some exercise routine, even if it's just walking or yoga, really helps - especially with all the hormonal changes that make you tired. And of course, you won't go wrong with keeping a close eye on those checkups and making sure the little one's doing okay. The cravings though - oh man, so hard to resist! But yup, having healthy snacks around and careful meal planning is key!

Yeah, sure thing! pregnancy is definitely a good time to kick some healthy habits into high gear!

I agree with you on the oral hygiene front - keeping up with dental health is so important and often overlooked! Brushing twice a day keeps the dentists away hehe.

Eating right is a big one too, nah mean? I'm glad you mentioned the Mediterranean diet - it's a goodie! All that fibre and good fats keep things moving along smoothly, and it's tasty too.

staying active is also key, and luckily there are so many moderate exercises that are pregnancy-friendly. The bump can make moving around tricky, but getting that 30 minutes in does wonders for momma and bubba.

And of course, no amount of healthy eating and exercising can replace those vital prenatal checkups - better to be safe than sorry!

Eh, pregnancy time really not easy one leh. So many things to take note, must be very mindful of what you eat, drink and do. But also cannot too stress out, just do our best lor.

I think the most challenging part is probably eating healthy because it's so easy to get cravings for odd combinations like ice cream with chilli sauce or something. Haha! But ya, eating well is super important, so try to stock up on good, wholesome foods and limit the unhealthy snacks, got to keep that in check.

Staying active also very key - walking and yoga are great options that are safe for the baby too. And of course, cannot forget oral hygiene - must brush our teeth twice a day minimum! So many things to remember but we just do our best ah.

200.gif

For sure, keeping up with those doc appointments is so vital! And great tip about the essential oils - I've heard of mums-to-be using them for nausea, it's amazing how something so natural can help so much. Peppermint oil seems like a pregnancy saver haha. And yah, stretching and staying hydrated is such an easy yet effective way to keep those pregnancy woes at bay!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu