• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Healthy eating for little ones

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What foods or recipes have worked well to get your picky eaters to eat healthy?

I need some inspiration! My LO isn't a great eater and it's driving me nuts. I'm tired of having the same meals rejected over and over, but I'm running out of ideas to give her. I know she's not going to starve herself, but it would be nice to have a go-to list of foods that others have had success with!

What foods or recipes have worked well to get your picky eaters to eat healthy?

I need some inspiration! My LO isn't a great eater and it's driving me nuts. I'm tired of having the same meals rejected over and over, but I'm running out of ideas to give her. I know she's not going to starve herself, but it would be nice to have a go-to list of foods that others have had success with!
My kiddo went through a super fussy phase too - turned out he just wanted variety! Small portions of different foods worked like a charm. Think finger foods - veggie straws, edamame beans, mini carrots, celery sticks...I also sneakily blend veggies into his favorite fruit smoothies.

My kiddo went through a super fussy phase too - turned out he just wanted variety! Small portions of different foods worked like a charm. Think finger foods - veggie straws, edamame beans, mini carrots, celery sticks...I also sneakily blend veggies into his favorite fruit smoothies.
I'm glad you're aware that your little one won't let herself starve and will eventually give in!

I prepare cold soba noodle salads with lots of chopped-up vegetables for my kids. The variety seems to help, especially because the noodles are a fun and filling base. Or baked vegetable chips? Crunchy and munchy, hard to resist!

I'm glad you're aware that your little one won't let herself starve and will eventually give in!

I prepare cold soba noodle salads with lots of chopped-up vegetables for my kids. The variety seems to help, especially because the noodles are a fun and filling base. Or baked vegetable chips? Crunchy and munchy, hard to resist!
Yes, variety is key! My child also loves carbs like noodles, so I'll definitely try your cold soba noodle salad recommendation - sounds delish and soothing to have cold noodles on a hot day! Baked vegetable chips are a great idea too; I think I'll try baking some sweet potato fries this week. Thanks for the suggestions!

Yes, variety is key! My child also loves carbs like noodles, so I'll definitely try your cold soba noodle salad recommendation - sounds delish and soothing to have cold noodles on a hot day! Baked vegetable chips are a great idea too; I think I'll try baking some sweet potato fries this week. Thanks for the suggestions!
I love the idea of incorporating different textures and temperatures in meals to add interest. Cold soba noodles with their chewy texture could be a hit on hot days, just like crispy vegetable chips!

What other ingredients do you normally include in your salad? Do you think your little one would enjoy some shredded chicken or crab sticks added for some protein?

No problem. Hope your little one enjoys the new dishes! Sweet success is probably just around the corner.

Mmm, sweet potato fries are a fantastic healthier option that feels indulgent! I usually just bake them with a bit of oil and salt, but there are so many seasoned varieties too. They're a good vessel for dipping sauces as well, which can help introduce new flavors.

Have you also considered making mini spring rolls or fresh summer rolls? They're fun to eat and you can fill them with all sorts of healthy ingredients. Not too oily if baked, and you can serve them with a variety of sweet and savory dips to entice little taste buds!

I love the idea of incorporating different textures and temperatures in meals to add interest. Cold soba noodles with their chewy texture could be a hit on hot days, just like crispy vegetable chips!

What other ingredients do you normally include in your salad? Do you think your little one would enjoy some shredded chicken or crab sticks added for some protein?
I usually keep it simple as I find that young kids (including mine!) tend to prefer their salads bare. Just some simply dressed noodles with lots of raw chopped-up veggies like cucumbers, bell peppers, and cherry tomatoes work best as a first introduction to such dishes.

Having some cooked and cooled chicken pieces or crab sticks on the side would be a great way to introduce proteins, and I think my LO would enjoy picking and eating them like finger food! It's a great way to make salads more exciting.

I also add in seasame seeds for some crunchy texture and extra nutrients - the addition of different seeds and nuts can be an interesting twist too, although I'm cautious about choking hazards with young children, so they're an optional extra!

That's a great idea to keep it simple and introduce each ingredient at a time - especially with the danger of possible allergens! Salads are definitely a fun and colourful way to get kids excited about eating veggies.

Love the addition of noodles - a good carby base always goes down well with little ones I find! And I agree, some finger foods on the side is a great idea to make it fun. Even some fruit pieces like chopped up pineapple or melon could work well on the side too, and add a bit of natural sweetness into the meal.

The danger of choking is such a worry - my little one seems to go through stages of being able to eat certain things and then suddenly can't! So scary. I usually stick to soft veggies cooked to death these days haha! But a great tip for other parents to be aware of the potential hazards.

Great point about the potential hazard of choking, it's such an anxious time as our little ones develop their chewing and swallowing skills! I like your strategy of cooking veggies to death - better safe than sorry! Soft fruits are a fantastic idea too, especially for younger toddlers. It's so true that their capabilities can change suddenly, keeping us on our toes! We're bound to be back here discussing the next stage's challenges soon :) Does anyone else have any tips for navigating these early eater stages?

It can be a very stressful time, and it's so individual too - what one child can manage, another can't! I find high levels of patience and creativity are needed, as well as constant vigilance! Purees are a life-saver for me - I make sure I always have some frozen portions stashed away. I also invest time in roasting batches of veggies - that way, when the little one needs something soft to eat, I've got something nutritious ready to go!

Purees and roasted veggies are excellent tips! I find freezing individual portions of purees in silicone moulds works well, especially when introducing new foods. And yes, lots and lots of patience is needed - worth it in the end though!

Freezing them individually first is a great way to give them variety too – plus an easy way to portion out their meals when you're dishing up. Definitely lots of patience required, but the independence and control over what they eat (and don't eat) makes it worthwhile!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
That's a great tip about freezing meals individually - it gives us parents an easy way to provide variety throughout the week and avoid wastage. It's so true that it's worth investing the time because of the benefits down the line, and I find that using small containers or bags makes the portioning much easier too!

That's a great tip about freezing meals individually - it gives us parents an easy way to provide variety throughout the week and avoid wastage. It's so true that it's worth investing the time because of the benefits down the line, and I find that using small containers or bags makes the portioning much easier too!
every parent wants the best for their child's dietary needs to be fulfilled, and having fun, colorful, and nutritious food is one great way to start their culinary journey. It's awesome to see them develop their preferences and discover what they enjoy. It's a really fulfilling experience! (Also a relief when they actually eat the healthy stuff!)

every parent wants the best for their child's dietary needs to be fulfilled, and having fun, colorful, and nutritious food is one great way to start their culinary journey. It's awesome to see them develop their preferences and discover what they enjoy. It's a really fulfilling experience! (Also a relief when they actually eat the healthy stuff!)
Yes, it's heartening to see them enjoying the food we prepare, especially after putting so much thought into presenting it appealingly! The joy of watching them ask for seconds is a wonderful feeling. It's a fulfilling experience that makes all the preparation and planning worth it!

You're speaking my language! There's nothing more gratifying than seeing your little one enjoy healthy, nutritious meals you've prepped with love. It makes all the time and effort so worth it. High five, mama (or papa)! 😊👍

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
You're speaking my language! There's nothing more gratifying than seeing your little one enjoy healthy, nutritious meals you've prepped with love. It makes all the time and effort so worth it. High five, mama (or papa)! 😊👍
High five!! So great to hear another parent say that - there's definitely a lot of satisfaction in preparing nutritious meals the whole family enjoys.

High five!! So great to hear another parent say that - there's definitely a lot of satisfaction in preparing nutritious meals the whole family enjoys.
It's a great feeling Seems like we've got a little secret society of nutrition-conscious parents going on here. It's encouraging to hear other parents' experiences and tips!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu