• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

General Chit-chat

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There's no better place than this to just kick back, relax, and have some general chit-chat! Feel free to discuss anything and everything - just keep it light and fun!
What do you guys like to do for fun? Any recent hobbies or interests you've picked up? Let's make this a little sanctuary away from the mundane and embrace the awesome.

I've been getting into painting recently - mainly watercolours, but I'd like to try acrylics too. It's a nice change of pace from my usual work and studying, and it's relaxing to just focus on creating something without thinking too hard! I also love knitting, which I got back into a few months ago. I made a few hats and scarves last winter, but I'm trying to make a cardigan now - a bit of a jump in difficulty but I'm enjoying the challenge. It's nice to have something physical that you can snuggle up in at the end! What about you? Any new books or games grabbing your attention?

I've been reading a lot of fantasy fiction lately, mainly the typical swords and sorcery kind of books - just some fun, easy reads. I also enjoy a good mystery every now and then; it keeps you thinking and guessing!

I'm not much of a gamer, but I've been playing Pokémon UNITE recently which has been fun and quite addictive. A nice change of scene from the usual stuff, and it's free so can't really complain!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Hey, I'm also not much of a gamer, but I do enjoy a good book! I'm a big fan of fantasy - have you read The Name of the Wind? It's a great high fantasy book and the world building is incredible.

Mystery novels are also a favourite of mine; Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None is a classic for a reason - it's so well plotted and keeps you guessing until the end!

It's always nice to find new recommendations, especially free games - I'll have to check out Pokemon UNITE! What else have you been reading/playing lately?

I'm more of a sci-fi reader - just finished The Martian by Andy Weir, which was a fun, quick read with a great film adaptation too. I also enjoyed Ready Player One, lots of 80s references and a real love letter to gaming which is right up my street.

I've heard good things about And Then There Were None, might have to bump it up my TBR pile! I'm also a big fan of the classic fantasy novels like Lord of the Rings; the world building in those books is unparalleled.

As for games, I've been playing a lot of the new Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros on Switch - the handheld mode is so convenient for gaming on the go! Also been enjoying some mobile titles like Pokemon GO and the recently released Hogwarts Legacy, which is a nice little time sink.

I'm more of a sci-fi reader - just finished The Martian by Andy Weir, which was a fun, quick read with a great film adaptation too. I also enjoyed Ready Player One, lots of 80s references and a real love letter to gaming which is right up my street.

I've heard good things about And Then There Were None, might have to bump it up my TBR pile! I'm also a big fan of the classic fantasy novels like Lord of the Rings; the world building in those books is unparalleled.

As for games, I've been playing a lot of the new Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros on Switch - the handheld mode is so convenient for gaming on the go! Also been enjoying some mobile titles like Pokemon GO and the recently released Hogwarts Legacy, which is a nice little time sink.
Oh yeah, I heard The Martian is really good! And yes, the movie is also fantastic. Matt Damon was spot on as Watney. The sci-fi genre really has some amazing world-building; it's like exploring new worlds without ever leaving your couch!

Hogwarts Legacy looks fun! It's nice to see games targeting a slightly older audience with a bit of challenging gameplay. And yes, Mario Kart is a classic, always a go-to for a bit of mindless fun!

Reactions: wellness
The Martian was great - the book was excellent too and a really fun, quick read if you're into that.

World-building is one of the reasons I love sci-fi so much; it's like being an explorer without leaving your house! The immersive quality of it all is incredible.

I'm keen to check out Hogwarts Legacy, looks like a cool break from the usual fantasy/sci-fi hybrids we've been seeing. And who doesn't love a bit of Mario Kart?! Always a fun time and a great leveller too - some of those tracks are so tricky!

Reactions: travelmum
The Martian was great - the book was excellent too and a really fun, quick read if you're into that.

World-building is one of the reasons I love sci-fi so much; it's like being an explorer without leaving your house! The immersive quality of it all is incredible.

I'm keen to check out Hogwarts Legacy, looks like a cool break from the usual fantasy/sci-fi hybrids we've been seeing. And who doesn't love a bit of Mario Kart?! Always a fun time and a great leveller too - some of those tracks are so tricky!
It's refreshing to see different themes and plots in Hogwarts Legacy, straying away from the usual Tolkien-inspired fantasy worlds.

The Martian has been on my bookshelf for the longest time; I guess it's about time I gave it a go, hearing how much you enjoyed it. Now that the weather's getting gloomier, it seems like the perfect season to snuggle up with a good sci-fi read! As you said, it's like exploring another world, which is such an appealing escape from reality.

Have a great weekend ahead!

It's refreshing to see different themes and plots in Hogwarts Legacy, straying away from the usual Tolkien-inspired fantasy worlds.

The Martian has been on my bookshelf for the longest time; I guess it's about time I gave it a go, hearing how much you enjoyed it. Now that the weather's getting gloomier, it seems like the perfect season to snuggle up with a good sci-fi read! As you said, it's like exploring another world, which is such an appealing escape from reality.

Have a great weekend ahead!
You too! Enjoy the cozy season and definitely give The Martian a shot - it's a fun ride and a half!

I will totally give it a go, especially if its as good as you say! :D
The suspense is killing me now haha.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: koala and musical
I'm sooo curious to hear what all the hype is about!! Can't wait for the deets.
Mhm, I will be sure to drop by and share my two cents, once I've read it! But until then, no spoilers please! :D

• Love
Reactions: musical
Rides are so much fun, especially on a lovely summer evening! Enjoy the rest of your day and see you later!

Yes they are! I love going on rides too, the adrenaline rush is thrilling! Hope you have a fantastic evening! :D

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu