• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Gear Up!

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
So, it's time to get some new gear for your little one? Whether you're upgrading to the next stage or adding to your collection, what are you planning on getting?

There's so many options out there - what's on your must-have list and what do you wish you'd never bought? Let's share our experiences!

We're moving up to a new stroller, one with some more options for adaptability - it's amazing how quickly kids grow and change! Also planning on investing in a new car seat, so looking forward to hearing what other parents recommend as it can be such a tricky choice! I feel like I've spent hours researching them and would love to hear others' experiences.

Also, it never hurts to have some fun accessories - we got a really cute sun shade that clips onto the stroller which has been such a help recently with all this sunny weather we've been having!

We went with the Stride model from Baby Jogger. So many great features - large storage basket, high seat capacity, and lots of recline options. Also super easy to maneuver and push.

For car seats we went with the Maxim from Cybex. It's so sleek and stylish, and safety is top-notch. It also has lots of recline positions which was a big selling point for us as baby will be rear-facing for quite a while yet.

Definitely worth investing in some good quality UV protective clips-on shades - they're an essential with all the sun these days! And some parents even use them on the windows too for that added protection.

We went with the Stride model from Baby Jogger. So many great features - large storage basket, high seat capacity, and lots of recline options. Also super easy to maneuver and push.

For car seats we went with the Maxim from Cybex. It's so sleek and stylish, and safety is top-notch. It also has lots of recline positions which was a big selling point for us as baby will be rear-facing for quite a while yet.

Definitely worth investing in some good quality UV protective clips-on shades - they're an essential with all the sun these days! And some parents even use them on the windows too for that added protection.
The Stride model sounds like it has lots of convenient features, and I love the sound of those UV protective shades; they sound like a very practical accessory which is always handy! Do you have any other must-have accessories you've found useful that parents might overlook?

• Haha
Reactions: techsavvy
I'd also recommend some sort of baby carrier for when they're a little older - a good carrier is a Godsend when you want to go for a hike or just have your hands free!

Also, a lightweight, compact change mat - the ones with the little pockets of washable gel that keep baby warm/cool are fantastic. And finally, a portable sound machine - great for getting your little one to sleep when out and about and also helps to block some of that outside noise so they (and you!) can actually relax!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Great suggestions!

We found our baby carrier invaluable when our little one was a bit bigger - especially for hiking and walking outdoors. We also love our lightweight change mat - we got one with a handy case that folds up small, which is great for tossing into the nappy bag.

We use a white noise machine at home too, it's so helpful for getting bubs to sleep, especially when out and about! We found it really helped to block out noise when eating out or visiting friends.

White noise machines are a godsend - they help so much with getting a baby's attention when out and about! And you're right about the change mat - something lightweight and easy to transport is an absolute must. We also found that having muslin wraps on hand was helpful for the same situations; they can be used as a lightweight cover or even just as something to lay baby down on if needed!

White noise machines are a godsend - they help so much with getting a baby's attention when out and about! And you're right about the change mat - something lightweight and easy to transport is an absolute must. We also found that having muslin wraps on hand was helpful for the same situations; they can be used as a lightweight cover or even just as something to lay baby down on if needed!
soft and comfortable muslin wraps are so versatile! They're definitely a must-have item to pack in the diaper bag for all parents. Their ability to keep baby warm yet breathable makes them versatile for different weather conditions too. Do continue sharing your insights - it helps other parents spot those little extras they might not have considered!

Muslins are definitely a God-send, especially on muggy days/nights! I remember using them as a impromptu curtain over the pram to give my little one some shade, and of course, for swaddling too. They're so lightweight it's easy to just toss a few in the nappy bag and forget about them until you need them. Would be interesting to hear about other ways parents use them too!

Muslins are so versatile - I used mine as an extra layer over my shoulder when burping, and also as a cover when breastfeeding. They're great for mopping up milk spills too!

Muslins are so versatile - I used mine as an extra layer over my shoulder when burping, and also as a cover when breastfeeding. They're great for mopping up milk spills too!
That's true - using muslin cloths to catch those milk sprays is a clever way to keep the outfit changes to a minimum! Parents might want to keep a stack of them handy! Does anyone have other creative ways they use these multi-purpose staples?

Muslins as a makeshift burp cloth is a lifesaver! I also use them to cover my shoulder when baby drools while being held. They're great as a lightweight covering over the pram/stroller too - for a quick shade or shield from a light drizzle. And of course, they're excellent for mopping up spills and mess! Can't recommend having a good stack of muslins on hand enough!

Muslins as a makeshift burp cloth is a lifesaver! I also use them to cover my shoulder when baby drools while being held. They're great as a lightweight covering over the pram/stroller too - for a quick shade or shield from a light drizzle. And of course, they're excellent for mopping up spills and mess! Can't recommend having a good stack of muslins on hand enough!
Some parents might be too posh to admit it, but I've also used them as napkins in a pinch - the texture is quite nice when wiping sticky faces and hands! They really are essential.

Napkins - I'd say they're multi-use and very handy for all sorts of clean ups especially out and about! I always have a packet in my bag for exactly that reason, as well as for their intended use!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer and cissy
That's a great idea! I often end up using tissues or toilet paper when I'm out and about - which is so wasteful! Will definitely start keeping some in my bag too now :)

Reactions: bookworm
I'm glad you're on board! It's such a simple switch but has such a big impact, and saves you money in the long run as well! Win-win!! :)
Yeah, it feels good to save some cash and reduce waste at the same time. Parenting sure does teach you lots of life hacks doesn't it? Didn't realize that there are so many ways to utilize these muslin cloths until becoming a parent haha!

parenting really does upskill us in so many ways and prepares us for situations we never imagined! I feel like there should be a 'Parenting Life Hack' book or blog, sharing all these awesome tips and hacks parents have picked up along their journey - a real money saver, and also helps the environment too which is always a bonus!

parenting really does upskill us in so many ways and prepares us for situations we never imagined! I feel like there should be a 'Parenting Life Hack' book or blog, sharing all these awesome tips and hacks parents have picked up along their journey - a real money saver, and also helps the environment too which is always a bonus!
You're absolutely right! A go-to guide for parenting hacks would be an invaluable resource for new parents, and definitely a great way to share eco-friendly solutions too. There are so many ingenious ways that parents manage with limited resources when out and about - definitely something to feel proud of! Experience is a great teacher.

You're absolutely right! A go-to guide for parenting hacks would be an invaluable resource for new parents, and definitely a great way to share eco-friendly solutions too. There are so many ingenious ways that parents manage with limited resources when out and about - definitely something to feel proud of! Experience is a great teacher.
Experience is the best teacher, especially when it comes to parenting! A lot of these hacks come from passed down wisdom too-- older family members sure have some tricks up their sleeves! It's amazing how innovative we can get when there's a need!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu