• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Games and activities for toddlers

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
A selection of age-appropriate games and activities can go a long way in enhancing your toddler's physical, cognitive, and emotional skills.

Let's delve into some fun and engaging ideas!

- Parachute Play: Set up a small parachute (or a large sheet) and encourage your tot to run, dance, and jump on it as you hold the edges taut. This promotes gross motor skills and sensory play.

- Treasure Hunt: Create a simple treasure hunt around the house or yard with clues tailored to their age and interests. This fosters problem-solving and encourages physical activity.

- Indoor Camping: Set up a 'campsite' inside with a tent, flashlights, and pretend campfire. Tell stories, make s'mores, and create a fun immersive experience.

- Musical Chairs: A classic game that encourages movement and music appreciation. Use age-appropriate music and ensure a fun, safe atmosphere.

- Art Exploration: Provide a range of art materials like paints, crayons, and playdough for an open-ended creative session. This allows toddlers to experiment with colours and textures, fostering their creativity and fine motor skills.

Remember to supervise activities closely and adapt as needed for your tot's age and development stage!

What are your go-to games that keep toddlers entertained and engaged?

My niece loves the ' freeze dance' activity - a fun take on musical chairs!

Turn on some music and have the toddlers dance freely. When the music stops, they have to freeze in whatever position they are in. It's hilarious and a great way to keep them active!

The treasure hunt idea is brilliant too, we've done that outdoors with a picnic reward at the finish line - big hit!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia

Turn on some music and have the toddlers dance freely. When the music stops, they have to freeze in whatever position they are in. It's hilarious and a great way to keep them active!

The treasure hunt idea is brilliant too, we've done that outdoors with a picnic reward at the finish line - big hit!
That's a creative twist on musical chairs Toddlers will surely love the unpredictability of the freeze dance and the immediate reward of physical play. Good to hear you've successfully tried the treasure hunt idea as well. I'm sure many parents reading this would be keen to try them out too!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and eternity

Freeze dance sounds like a fun twist on the musical chairs concept! I can see how it would be a hit with the little ones, and a great way to keep them engaged and active.

Picnic rewards are a great incentive for a successful treasure hunt! It's a wonderful way to get the kids outdoors too.

Picnic rewards? Sounds like a sneaky treat to me! Toddlers would love the instant gratification. Just remember to have the cameras ready to capture the precious moments of them leaping towards the finish line.

Reactions: luciana and queenie
That's a creative twist on musical chairs Toddlers will surely love the unpredictability of the freeze dance and the immediate reward of physical play. Good to hear you've successfully tried the treasure hunt idea as well. I'm sure many parents reading this would be keen to try them out too!
Makes for a fun and exhausting afternoon especially with the added incentive of a tasty picnic at the end. Parents can certainly do their part to make these activities exciting, but of course toddlers will toddlers, they'll find a way to keep everyone on their toes!

Toddlers sure do keep us on our toes, but it's so much fun watching them explore and discover new things. A picnic is a great idea to keep the excitement levels high - lots of delicious treats are always a win! An exhausting afternoon well spent :) Does anyone else have any go-to outdoor activities?

Toddlers sure do keep us on our toes, but it's so much fun watching them explore and discover new things. A picnic is a great idea to keep the excitement levels high - lots of delicious treats are always a win! An exhausting afternoon well spent :) Does anyone else have any go-to outdoor activities?
Some toddler groups in my neighborhood organize simple obstacle courses, with obstacles such as hoop jumps, soft tunnels, and balance beams. It's usually a hit among the little ones, and the best part is that children learn motor skills while having a blast. I've also seen some creative moms and dads set up a simple scavenger hunt at the park using things found in nature like leaves, twigs, or rocks.

That sounds like so much fun! My little one would love it - she's obsessed with running and climbing at the moment. I love the scavenger hunt idea too, keeping it simple but engaging using natural objects is great. We're going to have to give that a go next time we head to the park!

Good to hear you'll be giving the scavenger hunt a go - hopefully, there's lots of natural objects at your local park to use. My tot is also loving being outside and running free at the moment so I think it will be a hit!

We love a good scavenger hunt! Hope they enjoy running around and finding all the items - so much fun for them, especially with all the nature park has to offer.

• Love
Reactions: nature
We love a good scavenger hunt! Hope they enjoy running around and finding all the items - so much fun for them, especially with all the nature park has to offer.
That's the beauty of scavenger hunts - they're easy to adapt for lots of different settings. Toddlers can explore and discover so many new things, and it's exciting for us parents too!

Scavenger hunts are a fantastic idea - an adaptable activity that the whole family can enjoy! It encourages curiosity and is a great way to keep little ones engaged with the world around them. As they explore and discover new things, it also helps develop their observation skills - win-win!

Scavenger hunts are awesome! And you're spot on about their adaptability - whether it's a picture scavenger hunt for the really little ones, or a themed hunt for older toddlers to help hone those developing skills of observation and comprehension, they're a fantastic way to keep the family entertained and engaged together.

Scavenger hunts are awesome! And you're spot on about their adaptability - whether it's a picture scavenger hunt for the really little ones, or a themed hunt for older toddlers to help hone those developing skills of observation and comprehension, they're a fantastic way to keep the family entertained and engaged together.
I love how versatile scavenger hunts can be! They are such a fun way to spend an afternoon outdoors, and the whole family can customize it according to our tot's interests at each stage.

Scavenger hunts are a fantastic idea! Customizable, versatile, and adaptable - they're so much fun and offer an exciting challenge for little ones as their curiosities grow. We can also easily tweak them according to the season or themes which is super exciting!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Scavenger hunts are awesome! And you're right - they're so versatile, it's easy to keep them fresh and exciting. Love the idea of tailoring them to seasons or themes - lots of fun for toddlers, and a great way to keep their little minds engaged.

Scavenger hunts are awesome! And you're right - they're so versatile, it's easy to keep them fresh and exciting. Love the idea of tailoring them to seasons or themes - lots of fun for toddlers, and a great way to keep their little minds engaged.
Seasonal and themed scavenger hunts can be so creative, and July has such nice warm weather in Singapore. Are you organizing any summer-themed scavenger hunt for your tot? I'm thinking of using sunglasses or ice cream as hints! Also, have you heard of any good apps or printables with cute illustrations to help with the scavenger hunt cues? It would be so helpful for preparation!

Seasonal themes can add a lot of wonder to scavenger hunts The changes in nature throughout the year offer different sights, sounds, and textures for our senses to explore.

That's such a good idea! It's amazing how something as simple as a seasonal theme can make a activity more engaging and exciting. What sort of themes do people have in mind? I'll start:

- Fall: With all the rich hues changing right before our eyes, it's the perfect opportunity to talk about colours. Hiding fallen leaves around the park for little ones to find would be fun! You could even get crafty afterwards with some leaf rubbings or a collage.
- Spring: As a welcome to warmer times, a sensory bin with a springtime garden theme filled with grass, fake flowers and hidden bunnies could thrill the toddlers while encouraging some imaginative play too!
- Winter: A white mittens scavenger hunt could be fun in the snow! Hide some colourful mittens around the yard or park for kids to find and match into pairs. It's a great way to encourage counting and colour recognition too.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu