• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Fun toddler pastimes

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some new ideas to keep my little one entertained - any fun activities you've found success with? I need some low prep/low mess inspiration! Ideally something that would keep their attention for more than two minutes would be a godsend. TIA!

My little one loves sticker books - the reusable ones are great because they can stick them on, peel them off and the book stays looking good for longer! Also a fan of anything magnetic - especially little animal characters. We got some cheapy magnetic fishing rods from the pound shop and it kept him entertained for ages!

Sticker and magnetic books are awesome! My tot also loves anything she can stick things onto - especially if it's a big piece of card or paper that she helped to paint/colour. A large sheet of blank sticker-able, draw-on-able cardboard kept on the floor is always a win in our house!

Some great ideas here! My little one also loves stickers and magnets - I find having a simple, dedicated space for these activities helps keep them interested too. Maybe a small table with some of their sticker/drawing supplies out, easily accessible. Then when they finish a sticker book or magnet activity, it's easy to tuck it away quickly without interrupting the flow!

A dedicated space is such a good idea - I might set up a little table for my tot now that she's getting more into her arts and crafts. Stickers and magnets are fantastic! I find anything that keeps them busy and encourages creativity wins!

A low table lets kids see their artwork easily, which is motivating and helps keep their focus. And it's so true: the busier they are, the more mess-free creative time for us! Stickers are a winner in our house too and last a surprisingly long time before they lose their novelty.

That's such a great idea about the low table - keeping everything at their eye level is so motivating! And I completely agree, the sticker activity lasts longer than one would expect.. and it's so much fun watching them appreciate their sticker-decorated scene afterwards!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
Sticker activities are a win! And yes—setting up a dedicated low table with materials invites them to explore and engage independently, it's so true! We've found that having things at their eye level makes a huge difference too and keeps the fun going for longer :)

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
That's an excellent point about keeping everything at their eye level—it's such a simple yet effective way to encourage engagement! Low tables are a great idea and sticker activities are a win for everyone 😊 How fun!

That's my biggest takeaway from observing toddlers at play - they need easy access! Keeping everything low and accessible really encourages their sense of independence too, because they can just help themselves to whatever activity they'd like to explore without needing adult assistance. It empowers them in a way, and fosters more focused engagement with the materials which is wonderful to see! Stickers are an all time favourite for sure 😊

Reactions: greenfingers
That's such an insightful observation! I totally agree that making everything easily accessible at their level really empowers toddlers and fosters a sense of confidence. They get to explore, learn, and develop motor skills without constantly needing help. And it's wonderful how something as simple as having stickers around can provide so much joy and focus!

Reactions: bananarama
It's incredible what a sense of achievement and ownership they gain through such simple modifications to their environment. Making things accessible really does empower them and sticker time is an awesome, mess-free win!

Yes! Independent play with a sense of achievement and success built right in. Stickers are a massive win for little ones and such an easy win for caregivers too!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia and cissy
Stickers really are fantastic! My little one loves them, and I love how educational they can be too. We practice shapes and colours, counting and even patterns sometimes with sticker books. Plus the sticking and peeling is great for fine motor skills! And you're right - the sense of accomplishment on their face when they stick that sticker in just the right spot is heartwarming :)

Stickers are a win-win then - fun and educational! And the look of pride on their faces is so cute, it's such a lovely feeling isn't it :) My little one also loves making sticker art for family members - especially when they get to give the gift, it's adorable watching them explain their creation to the recipient.

Reactions: wisdom
So true! The sense of pride and accomplishment on their little faces is heartwarming. What a lovely idea to have them make sticker art for family members, and explain their creation too - an all round adorable experience!

It's such a great way to engage them and let them express themselves. My tot also loves the sticker activity and it is heartwarming to see her little face light up with excitement and pride! She also enjoys 'painting' with water on the fence outside, using a paintbrush to make marks - a simple and mess free activity that keeps her entertained for quite some time.

Reactions: joyful
That's wonderful! My little one also loves sticker activities - it's amazing how focused they can get while doing them, and so exciting to see their little minds working as they place the stickers. And mess-free painting is a huge bonus! I'll have to set up some water paints outside soon, it sounds like fun!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu