• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Fun Toddler Learning Ideas

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Doctormama shares some great ideas for simple but engaging activities to keep your toddlers entertained and encouraged learning. Many of the recommended activities focus on sensory play, which is important for the development of young children. Some examples include scavenger hunts, DIY sensory bins, art exploration, and nature walks—all of which are easy to set up and encourage curious young minds. Other moms also chimed in with their suggestions such as making shadow puppets, creating art galleries, using sticky back plastic for window clings, and involving toddlers in cooking or baking. The discussion emphasizes how these simple activities can offer lots of learning opportunities and fun for toddlers while also being manageable for parents. The importance of sensory play and keeping things basic and focused is highlighted as an effective way to engage toddlers and encourage their exploration and development.

Hello everyone! Here's a collection of fun, easy activities to keep your little ones entertained and engaged.

1. Scavenger Hunt: Create a scavenger hunt around your house or yard with clues tailored to your toddler's abilities and interests. This encourages curiosity and critical thinking while keeping them physically active.

2. DIY sensory bins: Set up a bin with different textures like sand, rice, or water, along with cups, spoons, and other household items for some sensory play. This can help develop their sense of touch and enhance their fine motor skills.

3. Alphabet and Numbers: Make learning the alphabet and numbers fun with hands-on activities. Use tactile objects like Play-Doh to form letters and numbers or create a sidewalk chalk art scavenger hunt where they have to find and hop on certain letters or numerals.

4. Art Exploration: Encourage creativity by providing a variety of art supplies and letting your toddler experiment freely. Think paint, colored paper, glue, and safe scissors. You can also introduce the concept of colors by using colored ice cubes for some icy finger painting fun.

5. Gross Motor Fun: Set up an obstacle course indoors or outside with simple household items like pillows, cardboard boxes, or hula hoops for an exciting physical challenge that develops balance, coordination, and gross motor skills.

6. Nature Activities: Explore the outdoors together! Go on a nature walk and collect interesting finds like leaves, sticks, and rocks. You can also create art with natural materials or make a simple bird feeder to promote observation skills.

7. Music and Movement: Have a dance party with toddler-friendly music that encourages free expression and movement. Introduce basic musical instruments and sing along to classic nursery rhymes, promoting rhythm and language development.

8. Kitchen Creations: Involve your little helper in the kitchen by assigning simple tasks like mixing, pouring, or measuring ingredients. It's a fun way to learn about measurements and develop those fine motor skills while spending quality time together.

9. Storytelling and Role Play: Foster imagination and language skills by creating stories together. Use props, dress-up clothes, and different voices to bring the tale to life. Encourage your toddler to retell the story afterward for some extra practice!

10. Flashlight Fun: Set up a "campsite" indoors after dark with a small tent or sheet fort. Give your toddler a flashlight and let them explore the 'dark' while developing their sense of wonder and discovery.

Remember, the key is to keep it light, enjoyable, and interactive! Share your own favorite learning activities below and let's make learning fun for our little ones!

• Love
Reactions: koala and eternity
Some great ideas here! We love scavenger hunts too - especially when they involve a bit of drama and mystery!

Also, on the art front, we've been enjoying creating 'art galleries' recently. My toddler chooses the artwork , and I help her set up a little exhibition space in our living room. She loves arranging and rearranging the artworks and then hosting the "gallery opening" - complete with a tiny punch bowl and snacks! It's adorable and a fun way to appreciate art together.

The flashlight idea reminds me - we also love creating shadow puppets at night. Lots of giggles when the shadows go way up on the wall!

Those are some fantastic ideas! Love the art gallery concept, especially the punch bowl touch - so cute! And yes, shadows are a magical world of fun for toddlers .

Reactions: joyful
So glad you enjoyed the ideas! It's such an exciting age because they're really engaging with the world around them and starting to notice so many new things. My LO loved doing some "shadow puppets" behind a lit up Christmas tree - very simple but effective! Can't wait to hear some more ideas too!

My toddler loves sticky back plastic for some reason, especially when used as window clings. Cutting up pieces of it and then letting her stick them onto a big sheet of it kept her entertained for an entire car trip once - bonus is also that it doesn't make a mess!

We also enjoy making simple treats together; she likes to help measure ingredients and pour them into the bowl, mix etc. I like to think it's a good way to learn about amounts and numbers too, especially when portioning things out into different quantities.

maxresdefault.jpg

Great ideas! Stick-on plastic is so much fun, and a fantastic suggestion for keeping little ones occupied while travelling - safe and messy-free too, bonus!

Making treats looks like a lovely way to keep her engaged and learning too. Teaching some basic kitchen skills and an early introduction to numbers - a very tasty way to learn! That's a great photo too, thanks for sharing!

You're right! The stick-on plastic is a genius idea for some quiet time occupation and also mess-free which is always a huge bonus especially when travelling - winner!

I think involving kids in baking/cooking is such a lovely way to learn numbers, measurements and even colours too. It's a great confidence booster as well to have their very own treat they've made themselves! We usually end up with a big mess though which can be half the fun.. but maybe not for the parent clearing up! Haha.

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
Mess is half the fun but as you said - not so much for the ones cleaning up after! Stick-on plastic is a lifesaver for some quiet and contained fun, especially when travelling.

Cooking and baking are awesome teachable moments, especially with measurements and colours coming into play too. And you're so right about the confidence boost of creating something delicious. Sometimes I find making it into a little production line with my tot helps keep the mess at bay - they assemble, or do one specific task like mixing the bowl or rolling the dough, while I do the prep work. Each to their own job!

Mess-free travel art is a must for little ones! Sticker books, reusable sticker scenes, and those awesome window clings are fun.

Love the idea of a production line in the kitchen - giving them one specific job is a great way to involve them in the process without letting mess levels soar. Also love the problem-solving and motor skills practice when they get to assemble or construct something, knowing it's all part of making something delicious is such a great confidence boost for them!

Any other fun ways we can boost those fine motor skills while keeping momma's sanity intact?!

I love using pipe cleaners and various sized beads to make necklaces, which helps with hand-eye coordination and patterning! Also the good old fashioned playdough never seems to lose its appeal - especially with some cookie cutters and other shaped cutters!

Another favourite is painting with pom poms and a sticky surface - we use our white board but you could also do this on sticky contact paper. My toddler enjoys choosing the pom pom colour, sticking it down, then pealing it off when dry to start all over again! Great for those fine motor skills and keeping the fun factor high with minimal set up and mess!

• Haha
Reactions: koala and queenie
What great ideas! I love how these activities are simple, yet so engaging for toddlers - especially as they're focused on sensory play which is so important for learning and development at this age. Using different textures and materials really enhances the experience too. Thanks for sharing!

Yes, I agree - it's amazing how something as simple as a sensory play can be so captivating for young toddlers. It's wonderful to see them explore and learn through their senses. The simplicity of these activities makes them very doable too which is fantastic! Using different textures really does make it more fun and educational, especially for little ones. They're such tactile learners at this age!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Simple doesn't mean a lack of learning! It's quite the opposite - toddlers can sometimes be overwhelmed by too many colours, sounds, and instructions. Keeping it basic with a focus on textures is a great way to engage them and allow them to explore at their own pace. It's such a fun age to introduce sensory play!

You're so right about keeping it simple - especially with the very young toddler audience! Their world is just beginning to open up and simple, focused activities with an adult they trust are a great way to build confidence and encourage exploration.

My little one loved texture hunts at that age - give them a few boxes of different textures like ribbon, fabric scraps, sandpaper, bubbles or even cooked pasta and let them explore what each one feels like. You could even blindfold them and turn it into a guessing game!

Reactions: musical and queenie
That's a brilliant idea! I love the sensory aspect and how it encourages toddlers to engage with the world through touch, which is such an important sense for them as they explore and learn. It's also fun and so easy to set up. Thanks for sharing - will definitely give this a go!

I'm all about easy, simple, and fun learning activities. The sensory aspect is a great way to engage little ones and touch is such a key part of their learning, especially at this age when they are curious and eager to explore. Would love to hear how you go!

Reactions: sunnydays
We did a fun one recently where I set up a little obstacle course with different textures for my toddler to feel and navigate - think stepping on bubbles, walking on a big piece of bubble wrap, feeling rice in a tray, then some Play Doh, then some kinetic sand etc. He loved the surprise element and it kept him engaged and entertained while tickling his senses! Would be great with hidden treasures too like small toys or coins to fetch. Easy to set up, and encourages lots of touch and sensory exploration which is so important for littlies.

• Love
What a fun idea! My little one would love this - especially the Play Doh and kinetic sand elements. I like the notion of adding hidden toys too, bringing in an element of discovery - might even distract from the usual toys they see every day. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: koala

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu