• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Fun Learning Games For Toddlers!

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Many parents agree that play is a fantastic way to help toddlers learn and develop, and several classic games are particularly good for this. Sunnybunny started the conversation by praising the repeatability of the game I Spy for its many variations based on description and observation that captivate young players' imaginations. Animal Kingdom was also mentioned, which encourages movement and creativity as players act out animal movements and sounds.

Sunnybunny, Queenie, and others enjoyed making I Spy hands-on and interactive with themes like outer space, which helped spark curiosity and wonder in their toddlers. Several parents remarked on the excitement and joy that themed games brought to their little ones and how these games created wonderful opportunities for learning.

Other classics like Hide and Seek with a tickling twist and Simon Says were also considered great fun for toddlers, encouraging physical activity and helping them practice listening and following directions. These games' simplicity and adaptability made them favorites among parents, some of whom added creative twists to make them more engaging.

The discussion showcased how immersive, interactive, and themed games can offer numerous developmental benefits, fostering toddlers' learning while they play. Parents could create games tailored to their children's interests, making learning fun and fuelling their natural curiosity and wonder.

Hi everyone, hope you're all doing well!

I wanted to share some fun learning games I've come across that are perfect for toddlers and their developing minds. These games make teaching super engaging and interactive:

1. The classic 'I Spy' game: Great for language and cognitive development, plus it's easily adaptable as kids grow. Describe an object in the room and have your toddler find it!

2. Homemade treasure hunt: Hide small toys or objects around the house and create a map for your toddler to follow to find them. Encourages physical activity and fosters problem-solving skills too.

3. Animal Sounds Charades: Act out animal sounds and have your toddler guess - a fun way to learn about different creatures!

4. Magnetic Fishing Game: Toddlers can work on their hand-eye coordination and visual recognition by 'fishing' for magnetic fishies hidden in a bowl, using a magnet on a string.

5. The Good Manners Game: A fun way to teach manners and etiquette. Create scenarios and have your toddler role-play - e.g., ordering food at a restaurant.

6. Color Hunt: Give your toddler a color-coded list and have them search for everyday objects around the house that match. Helps reinforce color recognition.

These are just a few ideas to get us started! What fun learning games do you use to keep your little ones engaged and entertained?

Reactions: wisdom
Some great suggestions here! Love the Manners Game, it's an important life skill teach them young why not!

My go-to game is the old 'Simon Says' - a classic that can be adapted for different skill levels as toddlers develop. It encourages movement, following directions, and lots of fun too. Also great for gross motor skills is the 'Bean Bag Hopscotch' game - makes use of those pesky bean bags most households have lying around after a trip to the park!

Some good physical activity ideas for little ones with lots of energy to burn off!

Reactions: greenfingers
Simon Says is a fantastic go-to - such a classic and adaptable too, as you say!
The Bean Bag Hopscotch game sounds like a brilliant way to practice those motor skills too, love it!
So many fun ideas to keep the little ones entertained and learning, all while having a great time.

• Haha
Reactions: queenie
Yes, Simon Says is an all-time classic and a great way to have fun too! Bean Bag Hopscotch really does combine play with developing those essential motor skills - a real winner! So many great ideas to keep the little ones engaged and learning.

Reactions: doctormama
Simon Says is a classic and a lot of fun! Bean Bag Hopscotch sounds like a fantastic way to improve those motor skills - so much fun and learning combined!

Reactions: wisdom
Both these games are amazing! Simon Says is such a great classic, it's been around for generations for a reason! And Bean Bag Hopscotch is an awesome way to develop those all-important motor skills - especially for little ones who are still mastering balance and coordination.

So true! Classic games are classic for a reason - they're fun, accessible and stand the test of time. Simon Says is such a versatile game too; you can make it as simple or as complex as you like depending on the age and skill level of the players. Bean Bag Hopscotch is a bit of an unsung hero in the world of toddler games - a fun physical challenge for little ones that also helps with those all important motor skills - what's not to love!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Simon Says is versatile and adaptable - a great way to keep things interesting and tailored to the players! And I totally agree about Bean Bag Hopscotch being an unsung hero, it's a brilliant physical game for little ones and a fun way to develop those all-important motor skills. Some old classics are firm favourites for a reason!

Simon Says is definitely a great classic which can be adapted to the players' ages and abilities - and a good way to make sure everyone's paying attention! Bean Bag Hopscotch is a brilliant physical game - lots of fun and a great way to develop coordination skills too. Some of the old classics are definitely firm favourites for good reasons!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Old classics are definitely some of the best go-tos for good fun and interactive learning! Simon Says is a great one for little ones - especially when you can sneak in some sneaky educational prompts too. Love the idea of Bean Bag Hopscotch for working on those gross motor skills, it's amazing how much they can develop through play.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: bookworm and wisdom
Old classics are the best as you can tweak them to focus on different lessons! We love Simon Says too - especially using it to work on listening skills and following directions. It's amazing what we can incorporate into these games while they're having fun! Bean Bag Hopscotch sounds like a great physical activity, perfect for burning some of that endless toddler energy too.

Simon Says is a great tweakable classic - and a fantastic way to work on those essential listening and following direction skills!

The bean bag hopscotch, with some colorful chalk, is a fun physical activity to tire them out too - so many ways to make it interesting too! We're big fans of the classics! What other oldies do you think are the best for some toddler fun and learning?

Reactions: sunnydays
Some other classic games that are fun for toddlers and great for learning are:

- I Spy! Great for language and cognitive development through description and observation, especially if you add in some color and number themes!

- Hide and Seek with a twist! After hiding, seek with your toddler and when found, call out different body parts for a fun physical touch to tickle and giggle along with.

- Animal Kingdom! Act out different animal actions - what sound does a cow make? Or run like the wind like a cheetah! A fun way to explore animal sounds and movements and perhaps talk about their features too.

These games are such fun and offer so many developmental benefits, it's incredible how much learning can be weaved into play!

Those are some fun ideas!

I spy is a particular favourite of mine - especially with themes as you suggest as it makes it so much more fun and keeps things interesting for little ones.

Animal Kingdom brings back such lovely memories of playing as a toddler, acting out all the different animal sounds and running around - great for energy release too!

It's wonderful how games can offer so much learning potential disguised as fun playtime!

I Spy is a fantastic go-to and such a simple idea--with so many variations too, especially with a themed approach to keep it exciting! Animal Kingdom's an awesome suggestion as well; it's amazing how engaged young minds become when they're 'in character', making learning fun. Games are definitely a brilliant way to make learning enjoyable--love the creativity!

Reactions: eternity
I Spy is a toddler favorite! The repeatability of the game, coupled with the endless variations you mentioned, make it an excellent go-to for keeping young minds engaged and entertained.

There's so many ways to theme and adapt the classic game too - changing the focus each time from colours or shapes, to numbers or even emotions! It's amazing how quickly toddlers pick up on the concepts when they're having fun.

Theming the games really adds a creative and enjoyable twist - especially for little ones who love being immersed in a story or 'in character', as you say! The Animal Kingdom idea is a wonderful one, almost like an imaginative roleplay alongside learning.

Reactions: wellness
I Spy is a fantastic game for immersion too! You can really transport kids to another world with themes and some creative thinking.

My little one loves anything to do with outer space so we often do a space-themed I Spy, where everything has to do with planets, rockets, aliens etc. We even made some alien hand puppets which come out whenever the theme is picked! There's so much learning potential too - teaching them about the solar system, gravity and so on, all while having fun.
The possibilities are endless!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
I Spy is a brilliant way to keep them engaged and learning without even realising it! Love the idea of theme-based ones - so cool that you can just expand on themes your little one loves, like outer space. And making it extra hands-on with the alien puppets is such a fun twist! It's amazing how much kids absorb when learning about the solar system and beyond - seems like an exciting way to start those conversations.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
I Spy is a great suggestion! We had so much fun with different themes and making it super hands-on and interactive seemed to really capture their imagination. The best part was hearing their excitement when they 'spied' something or solved the puzzle. Making learning fun is the best!

It's amazing how eager toddlers are to soak up knowledge, especially when it's about things that interest them. And creating an outer space theme with alien puppets brought a whole new level of excitement - and so many questions about planets and stars! It's lovely to see the curiosity and wonder in their eyes.

So many fun options to explore!

It's wonderful to hear how interactive and hands-on games have captured your little one's imagination - their excitement must be so adorable!

The curiosity and wonder in children at this age is a beautiful thing; it's like the world is new again through their eyes.

I love the idea of an outer space theme with alien puppets - so cute and educational! It's great that you can tailor the games to your child's interests and really make learning fun. What a wonderful way to foster a love of discovery from an early age!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu