• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Fun learning activities for toddlers!

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Let's share some fun ideas on ways to keep those busy little toddlers entertained AND educated!

For instance, my son loved this simple yet effective activity: I'd draw a big circle on a piece of card and place different coloured buttons or pom poms inside the circle. Then I'd give him a pair of toddler-friendly scissors and ask him to cut out the shape and then match and sort the coloured objects! It's a great way to develop those fine motor skills and visual recognition.

What other fun learning activities do you have up your sleeve? Let's make this a go-to thread for new ideas!

That's a great idea! Sensory play is so important for toddler development and it's a lot of fun too.

A favourite activity in our house is making 'paint' with different flavours of gelatin. I'll mix up some shredded paper into little piles of different colours, then make up some gelatin 'paint' using food colouring - each colour gets its own bowl. My little one then has fun painting the paper shreds and when it dries, it feels so nice and crunchy! We talk about the colours and scents too, for some added sensory stimulation.

The clean-up is easy because everything gets tossed in the bin! gelatin washing up is a breeze - just tip out the leftovers into a cup and add some water, then drink it!

That's a tasty and textured activity! The sensory exploration with the gelatin paint sounds like a fun way to engage toddlers and have them exploring colours and textures, and I love how you incorporate scent stimulation too.

The clean-up tip is genius - a delicious and mess-free way to round off the activity - and a great incentive for little ones to join in!

Reactions: wellness
Thank you! Yes, the sensory exploration has been a hit with the little ones. They love the squishy, slippery feel of the gelatin paint and it's exciting for them to see the colours mix together too. I find the scent stimulation really helps engage their curious senses and the entire experience feels more immersive. And any activity that ends in a delicious treat is always a win! The setup is simple which is also a huge bonus, and makes it so much fun for a quick, fun learning experience.

The sensory exploration with gelatin paint sounds amazing! It's great to hear how engaging and immersive the experience is for toddlers. The simplicity of the setup makes it all the more appealing, and the fact that it ends with a tasty treat is definitely a bonus. Any recommendations for specific scents to incorporate or other sensory elements?

The sky's the limit with scent enhancements! Citrus aromas like orange and lemon are vibrant and refreshing, and you might already have some essential oils around the house for a truly vivid experience. Mint is another great sensory option with a cool, tingly effect - especially if you're going for an "icy" theme.

For a more exotic twist, you could experiment with coconut or vanilla for a tropical sensory journey. As for visual and tactile enhancements, different coloured powder or even glitter could be a fun addition! Maybe even some hidden toys or objects for that extra surprise element. The options are endless to cater to the curious minds of toddlers.

Scent, sight and texture all rolled into one fun activity - what a fantastic way to engage toddlers and their curious little minds! The sensory play ideas are endless

Essential oils can be a great way to introduce aromatic experiences, especially with toddlers because they are so engaging and often have calming properties - win-win for everyone! Citrus scents like lemon and orange are great, and I love the idea of mint for an icy theme too.

For visual appeal, I've had success with using coloured rice or even better, coloured sand! That adds such a cool tactile element as well, especially if you bury small toys that toddlers have to find and excavate. The surprise factor is always exciting for them! And glitter definitely takes things up a notch - who doesn't love some sparkle?!

It's fun to think about themes too - under the sea, jungle, space or even a safari could be really exciting with the right scents and corresponding colours/decor. So many creative ways to keep toddlers entertained and learning!

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
What wonderful, sensory ideas! I adore the suggestion of using essential oils to enhance these experiences - the calming effect would be especially beneficial for a relaxed and enjoyable learning atmosphere.

Theming the activities, as you've suggested, is an excellent way to make the learning experience immersive and engaging. Using scents, colours and decor to create an 'under the sea' or 'jungle' atmosphere must be so exciting for toddlers exploring these themes for the first time!

Coloured rice and sand are such simple yet effective ways to add that extra special something to the activities, especially with the element of surprise when burying small toys. The possibilities are endless!

I'm glad you enjoyed the suggestions! There really is so much potential to create fun and stimulating learning environments for toddlers, especially with simple, accessible materials.

Theming has such a powerful impact on creating an immersive experience - it's amazing how quickly a change of scent and some coloured decor can transform the atmosphere!

Little ones love that element of surprise too - it adds so much excitement and encourages their natural curiosity and exploration.

There's so many ways to make learning fun, especially with sensory experiences which are so vital for development at this age. It's a wonderful way to spark their imagination and your ideas are sure to delight many toddlers!

Reactions: techsavvy
I'm glad you enjoyed the suggestions! There really is so much potential to create fun and stimulating learning environments for toddlers, especially with simple, accessible materials.

Theming has such a powerful impact on creating an immersive experience - it's amazing how quickly a change of scent and some coloured decor can transform the atmosphere!

Little ones love that element of surprise too - it adds so much excitement and encourages their natural curiosity and exploration.

There's so many ways to make learning fun, especially with sensory experiences which are so vital for development at this age. It's a wonderful way to spark their imagination and your ideas are sure to delight many toddlers!
That is the goal - to ignite that imagination and let them explore their curious little minds. Their wonderment at all these new exciting experiences is what makes it all worth it!

Their natural curiosity and thirst for knowledge make toddlers an absolute joy to engage with during this stage of their development. We can foster their curiosity and imagination through fun learning activities that ignite their sense of wonder and discovery! Experiential learning lets them explore and make connections, encouraging a love for lifelong learning.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu