• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Fun and Learning

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

With summer upon us, I wanted to create a space for parents to share fun and engaging activities they've been doing with their toddlers at home. School's out, and it's the perfect opportunity to get creative and make some fun memories together!

I'll go first! Yesterday, we made our very own DIY water table using an old plastic storage container and some toys from the dollar store. Filling it up with water, some soap, and colorful markers kept my little one entertained for hours! We also hid some of their favorite toys in the water and created a scavenger hunt to go along with it - they loved it!

What are some of your go-to activities that keep your toddlers engaged and happy? Any simple, messy, fun ideas are welcome here! Let's make this a summer to remember!

Hello everyone!

With summer upon us, I wanted to create a space for parents to share fun and engaging activities they've been doing with their toddlers at home. School's out, and it's the perfect opportunity to get creative and make some fun memories together!

I'll go first! Yesterday, we made our very own DIY water table using an old plastic storage container and some toys from the dollar store. Filling it up with water, some soap, and colorful markers kept my little one entertained for hours! We also hid some of their favorite toys in the water and created a scavenger hunt to go along with it - they loved it!

What are some of your go-to activities that keep your toddlers engaged and happy? Any simple, messy, fun ideas are welcome here! Let's make this a summer to remember!
Hey, it's Amelia here! I like how you've found an inventive way to keep toddler boredom at bay with your DIY water table. Messy play is the best! We had fun making our own paint using flour, water and food colouring. Safe and edible for little ones, and a great sensory experience too. My daughter enjoyed mixing the colors and painting the garden fence - bonus that it kept her occupied while I prepared lunch!

What other summer-friendly, budget-friendly hacks do you guys have up your sleeves?

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and luciana
Hello everyone!

Hi there! That sounds like a wonderful project and a great way to keep little ones entertained during the holidays.

One of my son's favorite activities is what we call the "Sensory Bin." It's essentially a big tub of rice, pasta, or beans with hidden toys. Each week, we pick a different theme and plan our sensory bin around it. For example, if our theme is 'Under the Sea,' we'll use blue rice (dyed with food coloring), hide little toy octopuses and fishes, and add some shell ornaments. Then, I'll give him various tools like sieves, spoons, and little buckets to scoop and play with.

Another hit during the summer is our makeshift obstacle course in the living room. I set up a little assault course with cushions, chairs, and broomsticks (the latter for navigating through like a tightrope walker). This keeps him entertained and exhausted by the end of it! We also make it into a game by timing him and seeing if he can beat his previous records.

Besides these, painting, dancing, and story-telling sessions are some go-to options when we're cooped up indoors. I'm all for messy play, as it's so much fun to let them explore with no holds barred!

What other fun ideas do other parents have up their sleeves? It'd be great to hear!

Hello everyone!

Hi there! Great idea for this forum! I've got a little one who just turned four, so I'm always on the lookout for fun activities we can do together.

One of our favorite things to do is set up a mini obstacle course in the living room. We use cushions, chairs, and anything else we can find to create a fun challenge for my tot. They love the physical activity and it keeps them engaged for a good 30 minutes or so while I prepare meals or tidy up.

We also recently discovered the joy of painting with chalk! It's messy but contained, as most of the mess is outdoors. My child loves the vibrant colors, and I let them go wild drawing all over the paved area outside our place. We even draw Hopscotch games and practice our numbers and letters too.

What else? Hmm... for a low-prep activity, I sometimes set up a 'picnic' indoors or in our tiny balcony. It's not the usual picnic food but the experience feels novel with the small blanket, some finger foods, and a pretend basket of treats! My toddler loves it, and it's cute seeing them 'pack' their own make-believe snacks for our picnic.

With the warm weather, we've been hitting the parks more too. Nothing beats some good old swing time and running around at the playground!

What about you guys? Any fun and simple ideas to share? Mess is definitely a okay here!

• Wow
Reactions: sunnydays
Hello everyone!

Hi there! That sounds like a super fun activity, especially the scavenger hunt; kids love those hidden treasures!

We often do art sessions with recycled materials, which is a fun way to introduce tot to textures and sensory play. We've also been enjoying some simple science experiments lately, like making our own mini volcano with baking soda and vinegar - messy but lots of fun! Set up is key with toddlers, so I usually have a snapshot of activities ready for the break between actual activities!

Who else has some fun summer plans they wanna share?

Hello everyone!

We recently discovered the joy of painting with powder. Set up is a breeze, and it keeps my tot engaged and immersed for a good hour or so. Bonus: it's an easy cleanup too!

Just spread some flour or any colored powder on a large piece of paper or plastic sheet, and squirt some eco-friendly paint or soap solution in different areas. Let the little ones go wild mixing and swirling the colors!

Hello everyone!

Good idea for some summer fun! My toddler days are long over - my son is now a surly teen. But I do recall making slime was a hit back then - a cheap, sensory, messy delight, using only shampoo and salt, which I'd recommend!

Also, kudos to techsavvy for their innovative spirit in this high-tech world!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu