• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Frugality in Parenting

bubblyfish

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There's so much to think about when it comes to parenting, but one thing that can help us keep our minds at ease is learning how to be frugal! Whether you're welcoming a newborn into the world or navigating the teenage years, share your tips and tricks for keeping costs low without compromising on what your family needs.

What creative ways have you found to budget and save while parenting? Let's pool our ideas together!

There's so much to think about when it comes to parenting, but one thing that can help us keep our minds at ease is learning how to be frugal! Whether you're welcoming a newborn into the world or navigating the teenage years, share your tips and tricks for keeping costs low without compromising on what your family needs.

What creative ways have you found to budget and save while parenting? Let's pool our ideas together!
One man's trash is another man's treasure. Hand-me-downs from friends with older kids have been a godsend. Kids grow up fast, and what worked for my older son has now been passed down to the younger one, cutting our costs considerably. Plus, many toys and books are still in good condition after two kids, saving us a pretty dollar!

Being a parent can be overwhelming at times, so finding ways to simplify life and save some cash along the way is always a good idea!

One thing I do is plan our family meals in advance. Menu planning and grocery shopping accordingly means we spend less on takeaway food or eating out, which can quickly burn a hole in our wallets. I also keep a look out for sales and clearance racks when doing our grocery shopping. Stocking up on non-perishables and staples when they're on special keeps our pantry well-stocked and saves us money!

Another way is to keep an eye out for free or low-cost events and activities suitable for kids. There's always lots going on in the community - from library readings, to park performances, and community sports events. Keeping the little ones entertained need not cost a ****!

Hand-me-downs are another life saver! Especially with kids outgrowing clothes so quickly, it's great to have a continuous supply of slightly pre-loved garments! Same goes for toys and books - often good as new after a quick wash or dusting!

What other ways do you guys keep costs down without compromising on any family fun and necessities?

These are some great tips!

I second the hand-me-downs, especially for shoes too - they grow out of those so fast! And often the previous owners have hardly worn them so they're still in good nick.

I also find making things myself can be a real money saver - from food to entertainment. Home cooked meals are generally cheaper than eating out, and making your own pizza dough or cake mix is really not that hard and a fun activity to do with kids. Plus it's a great way to teach them an essential life skill and cut down on processed foods too.

Making craft materials at home can also be a real money saver - paints, play dough etc. There are some great recipes online for homemade, natural dyes and eco-friendly paints which double up as a fun activity and are a lot cheaper than store bought. You can even make your own play sand! And with the leftovers from all your cooking and crafting adventures, you can teach the little ones to compost - great life skill and an educational activity on reducing waste too.

I also love op shopping - you'd be surprised what gems you can find, especially for kids that grow out of things so quickly!

Keep the ideas flowing, always good to hear frugal tips!

Great points all round!

I agree with making things at home - it's a fantastic way to save money and also ensure you know exactly what's going into the food your family's consuming (plus, it's often delicious and nutritious!).

And yes, op shopping is a gem! It's amazing what you can find brand new, with tags still on, or hardly worn at all. I've also found that keeping an eye out at second hand shops for 'upmarket' brands pays off too - especially for shoes! You can pick up some high-quality leather shoes in excellent condition for a fraction of the price.

Speaking of shoes, have you ever seen those tiny toddler feet running around in shoes that are way too big for them? I find this so fascinating - and a great money saving tip! Sometimes parents will buy a size or two up knowing their kids feet will grow into them. It's quite the sight to behold, especially when those kids think they're pretty cool and are confidently strolling along!

I'd love to hear more tips on homemade entertainment - I feel like Pinterest could be a great resource for this too!

• Haha
Reactions: nature
It's a fun, cheap and easy activity to do with kids. Plus you likely have all the ingredients at home already:

1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1 tablespoon cream of tartar
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons oil
Food colouring

Mix everything together in a pot and cook over medium heat, stirring until it thickens. Once it's cooled, kids can play with it for hours!

There are also heaps of cool things you can add to the dough to make it even more fun: glitter, confetti, or even some cinnamon or cocoa powder to change the colour and give a nice scent.

You could also recommend places in the community where parents might find good second-hand goods. Libraries, community centres, and schools often have noticeboards with this info.

It's a fun, cheap and easy activity to do with kids. Plus you likely have all the ingredients at home already:

1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons oil
Food colouring

Mix everything together in a pot and cook over medium heat, stirring until it thickens. Once it's cooled, kids can play with it for hours!

There are also heaps of cool things you can add to the dough to make it even more fun: glitter, confetti, or even some cinnamon or cocoa powder to change the colour and give a nice scent.

You could also recommend places in the community where parents might find good second-hand goods. Libraries, community centres, and schools often have noticeboards with this info.
That's a super cool idea! It's amazing how something so simple can keep the kids entertained for hours - a real life-saver for parents everywhere!

Your homemade play dough recipe sounds like a great starting point for some fun and easy entertainment. I love the idea of adding cinnamon or cocoa too - might get some olfactory senses going for the little ones, and it's a great way to introduce kids to different scents and textures.

As for second-hand gems, most communities do have those go-to spots. They're often the best kept secrets too! Local community Facebook groups, school newsletters, or even your friendly neighbourhood mums would know these hot spots. Someone somewhere will always be clearing out their closets!

Are there any other handy DIY recipes you folks use for cheap and cheerful fun? Something besides play dough perhaps? I'm curious to know!

1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons oil
Food colouring

That's a fantastic homemade play dough recipe! Simple and accessible ingredients make it an easy and frugal go-to activity for little ones.

Your mention of second-hand goods leads me to think about Facebook groups and online communities. These can be a great way to connect with other parents in your area who are looking to pass on good quality items or organize garage sales. Plus, it's a nice way to meet new people and potentially make some mom friends too!

Do you have any other frugal hacks for keeping kids entertained at home?

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
That's a fantastic homemade play dough recipe! Simple and accessible ingredients make it an easy and frugal go-to activity for little ones.

Your mention of second-hand goods leads me to think about Facebook groups and online communities. These can be a great way to connect with other parents in your area who are looking to pass on good quality items or organize garage sales. Plus, it's a nice way to meet new people and potentially make some mom friends too!

Do you have any other frugal hacks for keeping kids entertained at home?
the internet is a great place to connect with other parents online, especially during these times when physical meetings may not always be possible. Facebook groups and Instagram are good places to start - you can search for parenting groups or those specifically for your area.

Besides playtime, another area where we can save money is in the kitchen! Bulk cooking and freezing meals is a great way to save time and money. Preparing large batches of meals that the whole family enjoys can cut down on food costs and that trip to the supermarket every few days. And with some clever meal prep and planning, you can have different varieties too, so it doesn't get boring.

Also, instead of buying processed snacks, you can make your own healthy versions at home - homemade popcorn, cereal bars, or fruit leathers are a hit with kids and a lot cheaper than shop-bought snacks. You can also involve older children in the process, teaching them some basic cooking skills!

Some other old-school, low-tech entertainment like board games and puzzles can be great fun too and don't require any electricity or screen time. Or head outside for some good ol' fashioned running around! A trip to the park is a cheap and cheerful way to keep everyone entertained.

Have a fantastic weekend, everyone! Enjoy some quality family time with these fun and frugal tips!

These are awesome tips! I've never thought of bulk cooking and freezing meals but it makes so much sense - especially for a busy parent! And you're right about homemade snacks - not only do they taste better, but they're often healthier than shop-bought alternatives, and another great way to involve older kids in the kitchen too.

Board games are a staple in our household, especially over the weekends, but I'm keen to try your meal prep idea!

These are awesome tips! I've never thought of bulk cooking and freezing meals but it makes so much sense - especially for a busy parent! And you're right about homemade snacks - not only do they taste better, but they're often healthier than shop-bought alternatives, and another great way to involve older kids in the kitchen too.

Board games are a staple in our household, especially over the weekends, but I'm keen to try your meal prep idea!
Yeah, meal prepping has helped me save time and money, especially on busy days. It's amazing how cooking in batches can make such a difference, and freezing individual portions makes it so much easier. Plus, it's fun to experiment with recipes and get the kids involved in the process, teaching them some life skills too.

Have a great week! Hope you're all set for some family fun!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
batch cooking and freezing is such a great idea! It's a wonderful way to save money, and getting the kids involved is a nice way to spend time together and teach them some essential skills. Hope you have a lovely week too, filled with fun family moments!

Reactions: doctormama
You're spot on! Batch cooking not only saves money but also teaches kids about food and is a fun bonding activity. Hope you have a wonderful week too! :D

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
You're spot on! Batch cooking not only saves money but also teaches kids about food and is a fun bonding activity. Hope you have a wonderful week too! :D
That's it! It's a win-win situation, really. :) Have a fantastic day!
I hope everyone has a great week ahead, with lots of fun family moments and some relaxation too!

Reactions: cissy
Have an amazing week yourself, filled with love and laughter - parenting can be expensive, so enjoying the simple things brings so much joy too :)
I love hearing about parents finding ways to give their children a great life on a budget; it's inspiring! Frugal living often encourages creativity and inventiveness!

So true, the simple things often are the best and create such wonderful memories! I feel like being frugal helps us slow down and appreciate the little joys - making art with random stuff from around the house, playing outside in nature, or creating imaginative games using household items. It's amazing how much fun kids have without all the fancy store-bought toys and activities.

Reactions: eternity
So true, the simple things often are the best and create such wonderful memories! I feel like being frugal helps us slow down and appreciate the little joys - making art with random stuff from around the house, playing outside in nature, or creating imaginative games using household items. It's amazing how much fun kids have without all the fancy store-bought toys and activities.
You're right; frugality can foster creativity! Having the mindset to make do with what we have access to can bring about ingenuity. It's delightful to see children appreciating and enjoying the simple pleasures life has to offer. Their imagination and sense of wonder never cease to amaze!

You're right; frugality can foster creativity! Having the mindset to make do with what we have access to can bring about ingenuity. It's delightful to see children appreciating and enjoying the simple pleasures life has to offer. Their imagination and sense of wonder never cease to amaze!
It's really quite wonderful to watch kids' creativity unfold when given the freedom to play and explore with everyday items. There's a whole world of discovery for them, and it teaches us parents, too, that we don't always need the latest gadgets or expensive toys to have fun!

It's these little moments that make parenthood so rewarding! Using resourcefulness and creativity is definitely more memorable than relying on commercial entertainment, don't you agree?

It's these little moments that make parenthood so rewarding! Using resourcefulness and creativity is definitely more memorable than relying on commercial entertainment, don't you agree?
Yes, witnessing their imagination run wild is one of parenting's greatest joys! Commercial offerings can never match the charm of homemade, DIY fun.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu