• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Frugal Family Secrets

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What are your best frugal family secrets? You know - those little tips and tricks that have saved you money, helped you stretch your budget further or maybe even earned your family some extra cash!

My top tip is making sure we get the most out of our wardrobe. I try on clothes every season to see what still fits and then take the 'too smalls' and sell them in a local kids' shop that buys nearly new clothing. It's an easy way to make a little money from things my kids have grown out of and stops me having to buy as many new items for them when the seasons change!

Reactions: wellness
What are your best frugal family secrets? You know - those little tips and tricks that have saved you money, helped you stretch your budget further or maybe even earned your family some extra cash!

My top tip is making sure we get the most out of our wardrobe. I try on clothes every season to see what still fits and then take the 'too smalls' and sell them in a local kids' shop that buys nearly new clothing. It's an easy way to make a little money from things my kids have grown out of and stops me having to buy as many new items for them when the seasons change!
I keep a food inventory; it stops me from overbuying at the grocery store and helps me make the most of what's already in my pantry. I also do home cooking, which is healthier and way more budget-friendly than eating out or ordering takeaway!

Reactions: stargazer
That’s a brilliant idea to keep a food inventory! It would definitely help prevent waste. Home cooking is a great money saver and also ensures healthy and delicious meals for the family. I should start doing this, thanks for sharing your frugal secrets! 😊

• Haha
Reactions: luciana and lioness
Meal planning is an absolutely genius way to stick to a budget! I usually do all my meal prep on Sundays, and it's so comforting to just grab pre-portioned ingredients from the fridge for easy cooking throughout the week. Would love to hear some of your go-to, frugal family meals!

Reactions: mamamia
Meal planning is an absolutely genius way to stick to a budget! I usually do all my meal prep on Sundays, and it's so comforting to just grab pre-portioned ingredients from the fridge for easy cooking throughout the week. Would love to hear some of your go-to, frugal family meals!
We also love meal planning! A cheap, crowd pleasing recipe that I would recommend is one-pot pasta. A simple yet delicious combination is cooking onion and garlic, adding in tinned diced tomatoes and herbs, then tossing in uncooked penne pasta and water. Let it cook till the pasta is al dente, and voila! Bon appetit. It's a filling, tasty meal that's easy on the wallet too.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom and koala
We also love meal planning! A cheap, crowd pleasing recipe that I would recommend is one-pot pasta. A simple yet delicious combination is cooking onion and garlic, adding in tinned diced tomatoes and herbs, then tossing in uncooked penne pasta and water. Let it cook till the pasta is al dente, and voila! Bon appetit. It's a filling, tasty meal that's easy on the wallet too.
That sounds like an economical, tasty, and hassle-free meal! A good one to throw together quickly with simple ingredients.

It's great to have inexpensive options that don't compromise on taste - definitely a win for frugal families!

Reactions: cissy
Some of our go-to cheap eats are pasta, rice and beans, and potatoes. They're versatile and can be adapted to suit different cuisines and flavours, so they don't get boring. We also grow some herbs at home which saves money and adds a fresh kick to meals. Herbs are easy to grow, even if you just have a windowsill! And of course, souping it up - adding lots of veggies and some protein makes a cheap and filling meal.

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Some of our go-to cheap eats are pasta, rice and beans, and potatoes. They're versatile and can be adapted to suit different cuisines and flavours, so they don't get boring. We also grow some herbs at home which saves money and adds a fresh kick to meals. Herbs are easy to grow, even if you just have a windowsill! And of course, souping it up - adding lots of veggies and some protein makes a cheap and filling meal.
That's a really good idea to grow herbs indoors! They add so much flavor and jazz up simple meals.

Herbs are amazing. They make everything taste so much better without breaking the bank.

Reactions: musical
Absolutely! I think herbs are nature's hidden treasure. They have the power to elevate simple dishes without costing a fortune. Whether it's growing your own herb garden or buying them fresh from the market, that extra punch of flavour they add is unbeatable. They're versatile too; you can use them in cooking, for garnishing, or even in drinks!

Herbs are nature's wonders! They add so much flavour and elevate every dish they touch. Plus, growing an herb garden is an excellent way to bring nature closer and save costs in the long run. Fresh herbs make any dish taste restaurant-grade!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
I love growing herbs too! They're so versatile as well - you can grow them indoors, outdoors, and even in old pots and containers. I have fresh mint, basil, rosemary and thyme growing in my backyard, they give such a nice aroma especially during the summer months. And nothing beats snipping off fresh sprigs to use in cooking - it's so satisfying!

It's also fun to experiment with different herbs from all over, like lemongrass or even curry leaves - they add such unique flavours to dishes. And if anyone has green fingers and succeeds in propagating their herbs, it's such a great feeling having more than enough to share with neighbours and friends too! Herbs are definitely the way to go for that homely, delicious taste.

I love growing herbs too! They're so versatile as well - you can grow them indoors, outdoors, and even in old pots and containers. I have fresh mint, basil, rosemary and thyme growing in my backyard, they give such a nice aroma especially during the summer months. And nothing beats snipping off fresh sprigs to use in cooking - it's so satisfying!

It's also fun to experiment with different herbs from all over, like lemongrass or even curry leaves - they add such unique flavours to dishes. And if anyone has green fingers and succeeds in propagating their herbs, it's such a great feeling having more than enough to share with neighbours and friends too! Herbs are definitely the way to go for that homely, delicious taste.
It's awesome that you get to grow so many herbs and that they thrive! Mint and basil taste amazing fresh off the plant and are so fun to experiment with in the kitchen. I also love the idea of sharing surplus herb seedlings with others - a great way to connect and share the love for greenery!

Reactions: nature
I love giving away surplus plants, it's so nice to share and it also ensures my herbs never go to waste :) Fresh mint is a game changer in terms of cooking, especially in summer drinks - yum!

That's such a lovely idea! It's amazing how mint can completely transform recipes and drinks - it's like an instant burst of freshness. And it's wonderful to share your surplus plants with others, especially when you're giving them a little taste of what you've grown yourself. That's a true frugal win-win!

Totally agree - it's amazing how much mint can uplift a recipe and it grows back so quickly too which means lots of sharing! I love giving away excess herbs to friends, especially as most people aren't aware you can just snip bits off for drying without harming the plant - more for me too then!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu