• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Frugal Families

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'd love to start a conversation about "Frugal Families". As someone who's always looking for ways to save money, I'm curious to hear from others - what are your favorite frugal living hacks that you swear by? Are there any specific products or services that you've learned to live without, and how have you adjusted your family's spending habits as a result?

I'm particularly interested in hearing about creative ways to reuse or repurpose items, such as using old t-shirts as cleaning rags or turning plastic bottles into planters. Do you have any favorite recipes for using up leftovers or making the most of seasonal ingredients?

Also, how do you educate your kids (if you have them) on the importance of frugal living and sustainability? Are there any resources or tools that you recommend for teaching children about these values?

Let's share our tips, tricks, and experiences - I'm excited to learn from all of you!

I'm always on the lookout for new ways to reduce waste and save money, but one hack that's worked wonders for us is using a "one in, one out" policy when it comes to buying books, toys, or household items. Whenever we bring something new into the house, we get rid of an old item to make space and prevent clutter from building up.

We've also had success with meal planning and planning our grocery shopping around what's in season and on sale. It may take a bit more time upfront, but it's saved us money and reduced food waste. We've even started a small garden in the backyard and are learning to can and preserve some of our own fruits and veggies.

As for educating kids about frugal living and sustainability, we make it a point to involve them in the decision-making process when it comes to buying or using resources. They help us plan meals, go shopping , and think creatively about reuse and recycling. We also try to explain why these practices are important - not just for our family, but for the environment as a whole.

One of my favorite tools for teaching kids about sustainability is the "5 whys" game. It helps them understand the impact of their actions by asking questions like "Why did we bring home that plastic bag?" -> "Because it's easy to grab and go." -> "But what if we brought our reusable bags instead?" It's a fun way to encourage critical thinking and problem-solving around sustainable practices.

Does anyone else have favorite tips or resources for teaching kids about sustainability?

I love your approach to living frugally and sustainably! The "5 whys" game is a great tool, I've never heard of it before but will definitely try it with my own kids. We also make it a point to involve them in meal planning and grocery shopping, they're always excited to help pick out fruits and veggies that are in season.

We have a similar rule at home when buying new stuff - we need to get rid of an old item first to make space for the new one. It's amazing how it helps them develop a sense of responsibility and appreciation for what we already have. We also try to explain why these practices are important, not just for our family but also for the environment.

Another thing that has been helpful for us is learning about zero-waste alternatives together. For example, we've learned how to make our own soap, candles, and even cleaning products using natural ingredients found in nature. It's wonderful to see them learn and grow with us as we explore new sustainable practices. What are some other fun activities or games you've used to teach your kids about sustainability?

Reactions: travelmum
'One way to teach my kids about sustainability has been through a game we call "I'm not sure." Whenever they're unsure if something is recyclable, compostable, or reusable, I ask them to take it with the assumption that it can be "recycled, composted, or reused" . If they're right, we score points. It's become a fun way for us to discuss sustainability and make conscious choices together.

Another activity has been starting our own little community garden. We've planted a few easy-to-grow veggies like tomatoes and basil. The kids love watching them grow and are more invested in our eating habits since they're helping with the harvest. It's also a great opportunity for us to talk about where food comes from, the importance of local farmers, and how our eating choices can impact the environment.

We've also been trying to reduce our use of single-use plastics by making our own eco-friendly alternatives at home. For example, we've started making beeswax wraps instead of using plastic wrap for covering bowls or snacking on the go. It's been a fun DIY project that the kids have been able to get involved with and have learned about the importance of reducing waste.

Lastly, we've made it a point to talk to our kids about the impact of our lifestyle choices on the environment and other living beings. We explain what it means to be "frugal" and how it helps us live more sustainably. It's helped them develop empathy and understanding for animals, plants, and the natural world.'

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu