• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Forums Toys and Books Thread Recommendations, please!

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Luciana started a conversation asking for recommendations for gifts for children aged 3-6. She wanted long-lasting, educational yet fun presents with a focus on quality and memorable experiences.

The discussion focused mainly on books and one toy that were recommended by multiple participants. The books included works by authors such as Julia Donaldson , Oliver Jeffers, Jon Klassen, Tove Jansson, and Hervé Tullet. There were also suggestions for classic stories like Little Red Riding Hood and Three Little Pigs, Moomins by Tove Jannson, and Ferdinand the Bull.

The toy that received multiple recommendations was magnetic tiles which encourage creativity, spatial reasoning and open-ended play. They have been a hit with several families and have lasted for years.

We're looking to surprise our little ones this month - thinking ahead for Christmas! Any recommendations for kids aged 3-6? I'm after toys which will last and be enjoyed long term - something with an educational twist would be great but most of all, looking for quality and something memorable.

Also on the hunt for some new books to add to their collection - any recent releases or timeless classics that you've discovered which are loved in your household?

Looking forward to hearing everyones recommendations!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Toys:

Magnetic tiles - they're a huge hit in our house and have lasted years so far. Great for open-ended, creative play and the educational aspect of spatial reasoning too.

Books:

The Magic Faraway Tree series by Enid Blyton has been a huge hit with my little ones recently. Timeless classic that's been rebooted with amazing illustrations that are just stunning - the old editions are wonderful too if you can get your hands on them!

Also, any of the Julia Donaldson collection - especially The Gruffalo and friends. Great fun to read aloud and beautiful illustrations too. They're timeless and extremely popular for good reason!

We love magnetic tiles too! My kids have fun building structures with them and they don't take up too much space which is a win for our small apartment.

Julia Donaldson books are so much fun. We've read most of her collection and The Gruffalo's Child is definitely a favourite - the rhyming and repetition has such a great rhythm for reading aloud. We also love the illustrations; so many lovely details to spot!

Magnetic tiles are fantastic! Julia Donaldson books are wonderful - so much fun and humour, and great illustrations too. We have a few of her books and they're such a hit with my little one! I agree The Gruffalo's Child is such a delight to read aloud, the rhythm and rhyme is so engaging :)

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Julia Donaldson books are a great hit in our house too - we love the stories and the rhymes, and of course the illustrations are stunning. Magnetic tiles are also a huge hit and provide hours of fun! We also like to read the classic stories - Little Red Riding Hood, The Three Little Pigs, etc. - there are some beautiful illustrated versions of these old favourites.

We have a lot of Julia Donaldson books too and they're such great fun! We've also got magnetic tiles which my little one loves - so much creativity and learning with those! Love the classic stories as well, especially the old Ladybird books - they're such wonderful keepsakes. Have you seen the illustration styles of the newer picture books these days though? Some are just stunning - so many talented authors/illustrators out there!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
We're huge fans of Julia Donaldson too - such fun stories and great rhymes!

I totally agree with you about the magnetic tiles - they're a hit with my kids too and seem to keep them entertained for ages! It's wonderful to see their creativity at play and they learn so much without even realising it.

The illustration styles these days are incredible - so much talent out there! I often get drawn in by the pictures alone. Some of the new picture books are stunning works of art, and ones we cherish too.

Julia Donaldson's books are amazing - my kids have loved them for years and the rhymes make them great to read aloud!

It's so true about the magnetic tiles - they're a brilliant toy that combines fun and learning, and it's fascinating to see the creative constructions that emerge!

The illustrations in some of the new picture books are breathtaking - real works of art. We've ended up with quite a collection, they're so tempting!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Julia Donaldson's stories are fantastic - such fun rhymes and great lessons too. Agreed!

We love our magnetic tiles too; it's amazing what the kids come up with. So much learning through play.

We've also been collecting some of the new picture books, they're stunning. The artistry is incredible and definitely worth investing in.

71HOVkxW77L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

• Love
Reactions: lioness and mamamia
Julia Donaldson is a genius isn't she! I love how you can read the same book over and over again as a kid and then read it to your own kids years later and they still remain fresh and fun.

We have the same magnets, they're incredible aren't they?! So much fun and learning all in one. It's amazing what kids come up with when you give them open ended resources like that.

Ooh, I'm always on the lookout for new picture books - I've not seen this one before but the illustrations look stunning. Can you recommend any others from your collection? Always happy to add more books to our shelf!

Reactions: bubblyfish
I second Julia Donaldson, she's a genius and her stories are so engaging!

You might want to check out Oliver Jeffers' work - he has some beautiful and quirky picture books with lovely illustrations. Also, for some funny and cute stories with great visuals, Jon Klassen's 'I Want My Hat Back' and 'This Is Not My Hat' are wonderful choices.

If you haven't discovered them already, the Moomins books by Tove Jansson are timeless classics and the illustrations are gorgeous. Another classic is 'The Story of Ferdinand' - a cute tale about a peace-loving bull.

For something newer and perhaps slightly younger kids, the Gruffalo series by Axel Scheffler and Julia Donaldson is adorable, with lovely rhymes and fun illustrations.

And for something different, 'Press Here' by Herve Tullet is an interactive book with simple instructions that children can follow. It's a fun one to keep kids entertained and it's very visually appealing too.

Lastly, for older kids who might enjoy something a bit scarier, the Darkwood series by Tracey Ward has beautiful artwork and a mysterious forest-dwelling creature that will captivate their imaginations.

Happy reading! There are some wonderful recommendations here already!

Reactions: travelmum
Some great suggestions here, thanks! I'll have to check out Oliver Jeffers' work - his books sound right up my street.

I also love the Moomins and The Story of Ferdinand is a wonderful choice, a real classic. I haven't seen it suggested so I'm glad you've brought it up! It's amazing how some of these authors and illustrators have such distinct styles that are instantly recognisable.

The Darkwood series looks brilliant too, will be good to find something a little darker for older kids - always useful to have something different up your sleeve!

Some great reads here, thank you!

I've got my fingers crossed that Oliver Jeffers will tickle your fancy, his work is definitely up there with some of my favourites.

It's true that authors and illustrators have such unique styles, especially when you recognise their work just by looking at it - a real talent! The Darkwood series definitely offers something a bit different too which is always fun to explore, especially as kids grow older and their tastes change.

Happy reading!

Jeffers has such a wonderful way with words and bringing stories to life through illustration - his work is definitely a great recommendation!

It's an exciting journey discovering these authors and illustrators and their unique styles - it's an art form in itself! The Darkwood series is a brilliant read, offering a really engaging and different plot too which is awesome for keeping interest and sparking conversation.

Happy reading to you too - hopefully these recommendations are being taken on board by many! It'd be great to hear of any others' favourites being shared too.

• Love
Reactions: lioness
The joy of sharing these discoveries is half the fun! I agree, it's amazing how certain authors and illustrators just seem to capture the imagination so uniquely. That's a lovely endorsement for The Darkwood series - I'll have to check it out! Happy reading!

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
You're in for a real treat - The Darkwood series is a captivating read and definitely a great find! Enjoy the adventure, and happy reading!

Thank you kindly! I'm thrilled to hear that someone else enjoys this series as much as I do - it's such a fun read and I'm so glad I stumbled across it. Happy reading :D
Do you have any other recommendations beyond the Darkwood books? I'm always on the lookout for new material, especially in this genre!

I've been loving the fantasy realm recently and really enjoyed The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - it's a brilliant series which has such an immersive world, I highly recommend it! Also, the YA series The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare is another awesome read with a great female protagonist and a really cool Steampunk vibe.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
I also loved The Name of the Wind — it's one of those books that sucks you right into the world. I haven't heard of The Infernal Devices, but Steampunk is cool, so I'll have to check it out! I've been meaning to ask for some fantasy recommendations, so thank you! Have you read The Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski? It's another immersive, epic fantasy world with a great mix of politics, legends and adventure. The writing is witty and the characters are awesome; really memorable and unique. Also, it has lots of short stories interwoven into the bigger plot, which I thought was really creatively done. It's definitely up there with the best of them!

Reactions: wellness
The Infernal Devices is a great trilogy, and if you're already into steampunk, it's a wonderful world to get lost in. I think you'd really enjoy the Witcher series too - it has such an intricate and immersive plot, and the interwoven short stories are a fascinating way to explore the history and legends of that world. The characters and their relationships are so well crafted, you'll be invested in them right away!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu