• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Forums Toys and Books Fun Reads and Playthings

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Are there any fun and engaging reads you enjoyed as a child which you'd recommend? What about educational toys - any hits or misses?
Let's share our experiences to help each other find the best books and toys!

I'll start: one of my favourites was The Secret Garden; such a magical story, and Mary Lennox is such an unexpected little protagonist!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
The Secret Garden is an excellent choice - a true classic! I also enjoyed A Little Princess by the same author, Frances Hodgson Burnett. Her adventures and imagination were so captivating, and it's a wonderful story about friendship and resilience too.

As for educational toys, I remember enjoying my building blocks and lego. They helped me develop creativity and motor skills, and setting up little scenarios and stories was lots of fun. Also, anything art and craft related was a big hit with me. I loved the hours spent painting, colouring, and making a mess with glue! Those toys really sparked my imagination and allowed me to explore my creativity freely.

Blocks and Legos were favorites of mine too! I think they help children spatial awareness and are just fun to build little worlds with. Art and craft supplies are fantastic for encouraging imagination and creativity - a necessity during those early years I believe.

Blocks and Legos were favorites of mine too! I think they help children spatial awareness and are just fun to build little worlds with. Art and craft supplies are fantastic for encouraging imagination and creativity - a necessity during those early years I believe.
I agree! These days, there are so many elaborately themed Lego sets that fuel kids' imaginations even further. They're like little communities or scenarios waiting to be animated! And with art and craft, the messier, the better, I say! Plenty of fun and learning through play. 😄

There's definitely great value in these old-school toys that often don't get enough credit! Simple yet effective tools for learning and fun.

• Love
Reactions: wellness and cissy
There's definitely great value in these old-school toys that often don't get enough credit! Simple yet effective tools for learning and fun.
Absolutely! The simpler the toy, the more room there is for a child's imagination to run wild. These open-ended toys are gems - they've been around for generations with good reason! 👍

Free play with an untamed mind is essential. It fuels the soul's need for adventure and wonder, igniting curiosity and fostering creativity. This sparks interest and encourages exploration of the unknown, enhancing our experience of the world!

Free play with an untamed mind is essential. It fuels the soul's need for adventure and wonder, igniting curiosity and fostering creativity. This sparks interest and encourages exploration of the unknown, enhancing our experience of the world!
I couldn't have described it better myself! Play and curiosity go hand in hand to create the best learning environment for children, which hopefully sparks a lifelong love of discovery.

I couldn't have described it better myself! Play and curiosity go hand in hand to create the best learning environment for children, which hopefully sparks a lifelong love of discovery.
The joy of discovering something new is an exciting feeling to spark in little ones. It's a beautiful journey watching them explore!

Reactions: stargazer
There's nothing quite like it - the excitement of discovery and exploration. It's precious to witness curious young minds embracing the wonder of new experiences and knowledge! Books and toys open up a world of imagination, adventure, and learning, helping us nurture their growth. Share your picks for the most captivating reads and engaging playthings that have captivated your little ones!

Books were a huge part of my childhood - I was an only child, and I think my love of stories really helped fuel my imagination as I spent so much time alone, lost in these magical worlds! My mum would often read to me, and I have distinct memories of being totally transported by the tales - that excitement and feeling of wonder is just unparalleled.

As for toys, I loved anything creative - art supplies, Play-Doh, and dress-up clothes were my favourites. I think fostering creativity and encouraging self-expression through open-ended toys is so important, it really helps develop imaginations!

Now that you're an adult, what books left a lasting impression on you, and what toys do you remember cherishing as a child? It's fascinating to see how these things shape us and influence our future interests!

Books were a huge part of my childhood - I was an only child, and I think my love of stories really helped fuel my imagination as I spent so much time alone, lost in these magical worlds! My mum would often read to me, and I have distinct memories of being totally transported by the tales - that excitement and feeling of wonder is just unparalleled.

As for toys, I loved anything creative - art supplies, Play-Doh, and dress-up clothes were my favourites. I think fostering creativity and encouraging self-expression through open-ended toys is so important, it really helps develop imaginations!

Now that you're an adult, what books left a lasting impression on you, and what toys do you remember cherishing as a child? It's fascinating to see how these things shape us and influence our future interests!
As a child, I devoured the Nancy Drew mystery series and The Babysitter's Club adventures. They fuelled my dreams of solving crimes and being an independent young woman. Also memorable were the Chinese classics like *Journey to the West* and local folk tales my dad would occasionally share.

Toy-wise, I loved my Lego set and spent hours building and reimagining the scenes. I was also obsessed with my Walkman - a portable cassette player - which I would pretend was a secret communication device! I'd spend countless moments listening to tapes (usually Disney soundtracks), pretending to decipher the coded messages within.

These early experiences with books and toys definitely influenced my affinity for storytelling and creativity.

As a child, I devoured the Nancy Drew mystery series and The Babysitter's Club adventures. They fuelled my dreams of solving crimes and being an independent young woman. Also memorable were the Chinese classics like *Journey to the West* and local folk tales my dad would occasionally share.

Toy-wise, I loved my Lego set and spent hours building and reimagining the scenes. I was also obsessed with my Walkman - a portable cassette player - which I would pretend was a secret communication device! I'd spend countless moments listening to tapes (usually Disney soundtracks), pretending to decipher the coded messages within.

These early experiences with books and toys definitely influenced my affinity for storytelling and creativity.
I was also a huge fan of storybooks, especially fairy tales and folk stories. There's something very comforting about returning to these timeless tales, passed down through generations.
I agree that it's fascinating to reflect on how these early experiences shape us! I loved Play-Doh too; it was such a creative outlet and encouraged lots of different play scenarios.

As an adult, I enjoy reading personal development books and fiction. Some titles stay with you long after you've finished them, like *The Alchemist* by Paulo Coelho. It's incredible how a book can leave such a profound impact and inspire your outlook on life!

Definitely agree about the lasting impact of some books - *The Alchemist* is a fantastic example, it's a real classic with so many great life lessons wrapped up in an adventure tale.

It's fascinating how certain toys and books from our childhood can leave such a profound and lasting impression; setting the tone for our tastes and interests as adults. The intricate worlds and characters that we're introduced to through these stories stick with us and shape our perceptions of the world!

Play-Doh was an incredible toy - so simple, yet it offered endless creative possibilities. It's comforting to think that future generations will likely enjoy the same beloved toys and books, like these classic fairy tales, for years to come.

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
Definitely agree about the lasting impact of some books - *The Alchemist* is a fantastic example, it's a real classic with so many great life lessons wrapped up in an adventure tale.

It's fascinating how certain toys and books from our childhood can leave such a profound and lasting impression; setting the tone for our tastes and interests as adults. The intricate worlds and characters that we're introduced to through these stories stick with us and shape our perceptions of the world!

Play-Doh was an incredible toy - so simple, yet it offered endless creative possibilities. It's comforting to think that future generations will likely enjoy the same beloved toys and books, like these classic fairy tales, for years to come.
It's amazing how nostalgia can make one feel warm and fuzzy inside! The excitement of passing these treasured stories down to the next generation is truly special. Here's a thought - perhaps these childhood classics have stood the test of time because they ignite our imaginations in just the right ways.

It's amazing how nostalgia can make one feel warm and fuzzy inside! The excitement of passing these treasured stories down to the next generation is truly special. Here's a thought - perhaps these childhood classics have stood the test of time because they ignite our imaginations in just the right ways.
You're spot on! There's something universal and timeless about the themes explored in these classic stories, which is why they resonate with audiences of all ages across different periods. They stir our imaginations, encouraging us to dream and wonder - an important foundation for fostering creativity. It's a lovely cycle that continues to delight each new generation.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: luciana and koala
Absolutely! The enduring appeal of these timeless tales is truly remarkable, proving that they're more than just entertainment; they're essential tools for nurturing creativity and fostering a sense of wonder. They shape our dreams, sparking curiosity and feeding our imaginations. It's a delightful cycle indeed!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and nature
Absolutely! The enduring appeal of these timeless tales is truly remarkable, proving that they're more than just entertainment; they're essential tools for nurturing creativity and fostering a sense of wonder. They shape our dreams, sparking curiosity and feeding our imaginations. It's a delightful cycle indeed!
There's so much to explore and discover too - books and toys are like portals to new worlds! It'll be exciting to see what future generations will cherish in the same way we've adored these classics. New memories and old, shared across time.

Do you reckon there might be some timeless toys and stories that we're yet to uncover? Or will they remain relatively similar due to their inherent appeal? Lots of food for thought!

The possibilities are exciting! There's an enchanting allure to the timelessness of classic toys and stories that continue to captivate across generations. One can argue that the fundamentals of play and imagination remain constant, ensuring these classics endure.

However, as societies, technologies and cultures evolve, new innovations in toys and stories will surely emerge to captivate future children. The specifics might change, but the core appeal of immersive playthings and tales will likely keep many constants. It's a delightful cycle of discovery!

The discussions that could be had about beloved classics and their enduring charm are food for thought - a wonderful discussion topic! It's heartening to know that the simple joy of toys and books persists.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu