• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Forums to Share Kid-enriching Extracurriculars

bubblyfish

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your kid's favorite extracurriculars here!

Are there any clubs, activities, or classes that your kids love and learn so much from? Any hidden gems out there that other parents might not know about yet? Share the details here and let's help each other discover fun, educational activities to enrich our kids' time outside of school. You never know what cool opportunities might be right in your neighborhood!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
I'll kick things off! My kid recently started going to this pretty cool coding school on weekends. They learn basic programming skills and also pick up some STEM stuff - it's really fun and interactive, not your typical classroom learning environment. The teachers are great too, very patient and clearly passionate about what they do.

It's called WhiteHat Jr., not sure if anyone has heard of it, but my kid's really enjoying it and it's definitely helping them develop some good skills. worth checking out if anyone's keen on something like this!

There's this really cool cooking class my kid goes to. She's been attending for a couple of months now and she loves it! She used to just help me out in the kitchen before, but ever since she started going to these classes, her skills have improved tons and she's become way more confident experimenting with new dishes and recipes on her own too. The teachers are super patience and fun, and the whole environment is very encouraging and kid-friendly! Would definitely recommend checking it out!

There's this really cool cooking class my kid goes to. She's been attending for a couple of months now and she loves it! She used to just help me out in the kitchen before, but ever since she started going to these classes, her skills have improved tons and she's become way more confident experimenting with new dishes and recipes on her own too. The teachers are super patience and fun, and the whole environment is very encouraging and kid-friendly! Would definitely recommend checking it out!
My boy attends this really cool soccer school! It's run by ex-national players, so the coaches are very experienced and passionate. My son has improved a lot since he joined, and his confidence on and off the field has grown too. He used to be very shy, but now he's more outgoing and makes friends easily! Would be great if other parents could bring their kids down for a visit!

52654757756_476970b8fe_m.jpg

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
My kiddo loves attending this weekly art class held at our neighborhood's community center! The teachers are so patient and encouraging while also managing to make the lessons fun and engaging. My child has brought home some really creative artwork, which makes me think the teachers are secretly fairies with magical artsy dust!

The best part is that it's a really affordable way to keep my little one entertained and engaged during the holidays. I only heard about it from a friend, so I thought I'd pass it on!

My kiddo enjoys the weekly cooking class he attends. It's a small group thing held at a local community center kitchen. He learns basic culinary skills and some food safety too - plus gets to eat what they cook! Chef Hat's not a bad hobby to pick up, haha. They also make it a point to talk about where some of the ingredients come from, so it's quite an educational session in that sense too.

Reactions: koala
My kiddo really enjoys the weekly art classes at the community centre! It's a nice little hideout where the children get to express themselves and explore different art forms like painting, sculpting and even digital animation. The sessions are very relaxed and the teachers are patient and friendly. I think these expressive art sessions help develop their imagination and it's also a great break from the academic stuff they cover in school. The centre's got some other cool activities too, like cooking classes, gardening workshops, and even robotics! Quite an unexpected find in our neighbourhood, so thought I'd share here in case anyone's keen!

Reactions: sunnybunny
There's this really cool cooking class my girl goes to twice a month. She's been attending since she was 7 and has learned a lot! She made her first cake from scratch there, it was so delicious. They have different themes for each session like basic baking, Asian cuisine, even molecular gastronomy - very sci-fi!

The teachers are patient and make it fun for the kids. It's not just about cooking, they also learn about cultures and ingredients from all over the world. Quite an eye-opener for my little one, and she comes home very inspired. She begs me to sign her up for every session but unfortunately, it's quite pricey so we stick to two sessions a month.

It's called Jr. Chef Academy, quite a hidden find and worth checking out if your kids are interested in cooking!

I'll kick this off! My kid is loving her weekly art class at this small studio near our place. It's run by a very patient and talented local artist who engages the kids really well - keeps the lessons fun and also sneaks in some good values like patience, attention to detail etc.

The best part is when the whole family gets to admire the artwork afterwards! We've discovered that she has a penchant for painting so we might sign her up for some additional sessions during the holidays. It's a great outlet for her energy and imaginations - definitely a wonderful extracurricular activity!

53929233237_a68284fc25_m.jpg

My kid loves going for chess classes! It's a really small group of four students taught by this really patient coach. They have classes twice a week, and the kids learn so much strategizing while also having fun. It's amazing to see how it helps them focus too. I think finding a good teacher makes all the difference. At first, my kid didn't want to go because it seemed boring, but now he's totally hooked!

My kid enjoys The Little Art Box! It's a monthly subscription box filled with art materials and instructions for different crafts and projects. Each box has a theme, and the items are well-curated and easy for kids to use. They learn about art techniques, and it's also a great way to keep them engaged and entertained at home. The best part is that they don't need any guidance; the instructions are very clear, which gives me some free time too!

Reactions: musical
My kid loves nature-related activities. We recently joined a community garden project and it has been so enriching for him. He gets to learn about plants and the environment and also pick up some gardening tips! It's a great way to spend quality time together too, and I think it's a pretty unique extracurricular activity.

My kiddo loves the Saturday Art class held at the community centre nearby! The instructor is great with the kids and really encourages an appreciation for art among them - she makes learning about different artists and art movements fun and engaging. The classes are small, which ensures that the children get ample personal guidance too. And it's not just painting - they also explore other areas like sculpting and collage-making with all kinds of materials. My child comes home dirty and happy every week! Would definitely recommend checking it out if you're looking for something artsy and fun.

• Love
Reactions: nature
The cooking class sounds fun and educational! My kid likes his art classes. It's run by a local artist who takes the kids around the neighbourhood on field trips to sketch and paint. They also learn about basic art history and some of the famous artists. It's really cool to see how the kids interpret themes and subjects in their own ways. Some of the artworks are really stunning! You wouldn't expect such talent from the young'uns. There's also an emphasis on the process, not just the end product, which I think is great because it encourages experimentation and taking risks. It's definitely a nice break from the academic stuff they learn in school.

Reactions: sunflower
There's this really cool cooking class my boy attends every Sunday at our community center. It's not just about cooking though - the teachers also educate the kids on healthy eating habits and food science. My son loves it because he gets to make his favorite dishes and eat them after, haha! They also conduct little quizzes and games related to the weekly theme, so it's interactive and fun. Definitely worth checking out if your child likes messing about in the kitchen!

Yo! That Little Art Box sounds like a really cool and educational activity for the young 'uns.

On the subject of artsy extracurriculars, my kid recently joined an art club run by a local artist. It's quite an intimate class size, only about five kids or so, which I think is perfect because each child gets plenty of guidance and attention. The teacher's real nice and patient too, and she makes sure everything remains inclusive and fun for the kids while sneaking in some pretty fancy art techniques and theories haha.

At the end of each lesson, the kids get to take home their artwork -- which is super satisfying for them . We also get to keep the Art 101 lessons going at home because the teacher shares simple step-by-step photo guides and tips on how the kids can recreate the pieces, or at least try something similar. It's pretty neat seeing their little artistic interpretations!

Reactions: queenie and cissy
Yo! That Little Art Box sounds like a really cool and educational activity for the young 'uns.

On the subject of artsy extracurriculars, my kid recently joined an art club run by a local artist. It's quite an intimate class size, only about five kids or so, which I think is perfect because each child gets plenty of guidance and attention. The teacher's real nice and patient too, and she makes sure everything remains inclusive and fun for the kids while sneaking in some pretty fancy art techniques and theories haha.

At the end of each lesson, the kids get to take home their artwork -- which is super satisfying for them . We also get to keep the Art 101 lessons going at home because the teacher shares simple step-by-step photo guides and tips on how the kids can recreate the pieces, or at least try something similar. It's pretty neat seeing their little artistic interpretations!
Wah! That's so cool. Art club sounds like a great idea - small class size is really the way to go because the kids get lots of personal attention from the teacher. The fact that they get to take their artwork home is such a nice, tangible outcome too - especially proud when their pieces turn out well! I think it's also helpful for parents who may not be so artistically inclined; we can use all the help we can get haha!

Wah! That's so cool. Art club sounds like a great idea - small class size is really the way to go because the kids get lots of personal attention from the teacher. The fact that they get to take their artwork home is such a nice, tangible outcome too - especially proud when their pieces turn out well! I think it's also helpful for parents who may not be so artistically inclined; we can use all the help we can get haha!
I feel ya -- I love the artwork my kid brings home, it's like receiving a little pride package at the end of each lesson haha! And you're right, having some guidance makes it easier for parents too. It's inspiring to see the kids embrace their creativity and also learn some art history and theory in a fun way.

This art club also organizes bigger art jams and exhibitions once or twice a year, which is another cool opportunity for the kids to immerse themselves in the art world and work on larger projects with their classmates. I'm looking forward to seeing what my kid creates!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
There's this cool coding school my kid attends in the city. He's only eight but he absolutely loves it - asks me to drop him there every weekend. The teachers are good and they have all these fancy terms for what they do - stuff like computational thinking, problem decomposition, and algorithmic reasoning. Sounds fancy, right? But essentially, the kids pick up coding skills and also learn to make games and animations that they can bring home and show off to their friends. My kid came home once gushing about how he created a whole story with codes and all. It's quite impressive what these young ones are capable of these days!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu