• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Forums to share ideas on fun, educational after school activities

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
After School Activity Ideas

It's easy to get stuck doing the same old things after school. If you're a parent, caregiver, teacher, or counselor looking for fun and educational ideas to occupy kids, look no further! Let's share our best ideas for activities that keep minds engaged, bodies active, and spirits uplifted.

What's your go-to fun, yet educational after school activity?

Reactions: sunflower
After School Activity Ideas

It's easy to get stuck doing the same old things after school. If you're a parent, caregiver, teacher, or counselor looking for fun and educational ideas to occupy kids, look no further! Let's share our best ideas for activities that keep minds engaged, bodies active, and spirits uplifted.

What's your go-to fun, yet educational after school activity?
Hello! I'm Grace, a horticulturist living in Singapore. My daughter loves spending time at the botanic gardens. It is a great place to explore nature, and the various plants and trees keep things exciting and education-worthy. We often end up at the Jacob Ballas Children's Garden where there are lots of interactive and sensory play opportunities. It's a great way to unwind after a long day and learn about the environment too.

The National Gallery Singapore is another favorite. Art appreciation starts young, and the kids' workshops there are quite something else - very imaginative and creative. They have all sorts of themes, and the little ones get to paint and draw using different materials, which keeps it exciting.

What are your go-to spots for some fun after school learning?

Hello! I'm Grace, a horticulturist living in Singapore. My daughter loves spending time at the botanic gardens. It is a great place to explore nature, and the various plants and trees keep things exciting and education-worthy. We often end up at the Jacob Ballas Children's Garden where there are lots of interactive and sensory play opportunities. It's a great way to unwind after a long day and learn about the environment too.

The National Gallery Singapore is another favorite. Art appreciation starts young, and the kids' workshops there are quite something else - very imaginative and creative. They have all sorts of themes, and the little ones get to paint and draw using different materials, which keeps it exciting.

What are your go-to spots for some fun after school learning?
Hi Evelyn! Great to see you chiming in on this post.

I think nature spots are certainly a great way to unwind and learn at the same time. There's so much to explore and discover, especially with the wide array of flora and fauna in Singapore. Jacob Ballas Children's Garden sounds like an awesome place for kids to have some hands-on fun and learn about nature too.

Art appreciation is a fantastic idea for after-school activity as well. Culturing the kids young never hurts, and it's a nice break from digital devices. The National Gallery Singapore sounds like a cool spot with those interactive workshops.

Are there any other nature or art-inclined spots you and your child frequent? I'd love to hear more because these spaces offer so much room for creativity and learning!

Hi Evelyn! Great to see you chiming in on this post.

I think nature spots are certainly a great way to unwind and learn at the same time. There's so much to explore and discover, especially with the wide array of flora and fauna in Singapore. Jacob Ballas Children's Garden sounds like an awesome place for kids to have some hands-on fun and learn about nature too.

Art appreciation is a fantastic idea for after-school activity as well. Culturing the kids young never hurts, and it's a nice break from digital devices. The National Gallery Singapore sounds like a cool spot with those interactive workshops.

Are there any other nature or art-inclined spots you and your child frequent? I'd love to hear more because these spaces offer so much room for creativity and learning!
Yes, I agree that Jacob Ballas and the National Gallery provide lots of opportunities for hands-on fun and learning, especially for young children.

As for art-inclined places, the Art Science Museum has those fancy exhibitions which always seem to have an educational twist, so it's not just mindless staring at pretty pictures, though admiring art is beneficial too! And of course, you get the best of both worlds when you combine art and science together.

There's also the Singapore Art Museum, which focuses more on contemporary art. I remember bringing the kids there to craft their own comics, which was a huge hit because who doesn't love superheroes, right? It empowered them to create their own stories and develop their own characters too.

Gotta love all these educational spots in SG! There's no excuse for boredom!

Yes, I agree that Jacob Ballas and the National Gallery provide lots of opportunities for hands-on fun and learning, especially for young children.

As for art-inclined places, the Art Science Museum has those fancy exhibitions which always seem to have an educational twist, so it's not just mindless staring at pretty pictures, though admiring art is beneficial too! And of course, you get the best of both worlds when you combine art and science together.

There's also the Singapore Art Museum, which focuses more on contemporary art. I remember bringing the kids there to craft their own comics, which was a huge hit because who doesn't love superheroes, right? It empowered them to create their own stories and develop their own characters too.

Gotta love all these educational spots in SG! There's no excuse for boredom!
The ArtScience museum is definitely a fun treat, those immersive exhibits are always captivating. I'm sure many would enjoy the interactive sessions at both museums you mentioned.

Comic-making sounds like such a cool activity, promoting creativity and storytelling. A very worthwhile skill to pick up, I must say!

Indeed, one could easily spend every weekday afternoon exploring all these unique places in SG! It's refreshing to see so many options around.

The ArtScience museum is definitely a fun treat, those immersive exhibits are always captivating. I'm sure many would enjoy the interactive sessions at both museums you mentioned.

Comic-making sounds like such a cool activity, promoting creativity and storytelling. A very worthwhile skill to pick up, I must say!

Indeed, one could easily spend every weekday afternoon exploring all these unique places in SG! It's refreshing to see so many options around.
You've got some cool haunts there, Grace! The Jacob Ballas Children's Garden and the National Gallery Singapore sound like popular go-to spots for many members here.

I'm glad you shared your favorites too. Do share more recommendations or any unique activities you've done with your kids! I'm sure many would love to hear of new places to visit, especially with the holidays coming up.

You've got some cool haunts there, Grace! The Jacob Ballas Children's Garden and the National Gallery Singapore sound like popular go-to spots for many members here.

I'm glad you shared your favorites too. Do share more recommendations or any unique activities you've done with your kids! I'm sure many would love to hear of new places to visit, especially with the holidays coming up.
The holiday season is a great time to visit these places because singapore can get incredibly hot and it's always nice to have some air-conditioned venues to cool off. You've got me curious about the Singapore Art Museum now - looks like I've got another place to bring the kids to!

There's also the Peranakan Museum which I hear has some fun and interactive exhibits too, though I haven't been there yet. And of course, if your kids are into nature, theSingapore Botanic Gardens has tons of hidden gems and interesting trails - it's a massive space with lots of different areas to explore, including a couple of lakes and several gardens within the grounds! It's worth spending a whole morning or afternoon there.

The holiday season is a great time to visit these places because singapore can get incredibly hot and it's always nice to have some air-conditioned venues to cool off. You've got me curious about the Singapore Art Museum now - looks like I've got another place to bring the kids to!

There's also the Peranakan Museum which I hear has some fun and interactive exhibits too, though I haven't been there yet. And of course, if your kids are into nature, theSingapore Botanic Gardens has tons of hidden gems and interesting trails - it's a massive space with lots of different areas to explore, including a couple of lakes and several gardens within the grounds! It's worth spending a whole morning or afternoon there.
The Peranakan Museum is such a beautiful place to learn about Singapore's unique Peranakan culture; the exhibits are very interactive and engaging, perfect for keeping the little ones entertained while learning about heritage.

You're right about the Botanic Gardens, it's a massive green haven with so many nooks to explore! Some parts feel like you're not even in the city anymore - a great escape into nature. The different themed gardens within the grounds are indeed a nice surprise, a whole new world to discover each time!

So many places, so little time! haha. Any other suggestions members have would be awesome too, especially for the upcoming holidays!

The Peranakan Museum is such a beautiful place to learn about Singapore's unique Peranakan culture; the exhibits are very interactive and engaging, perfect for keeping the little ones entertained while learning about heritage.

You're right about the Botanic Gardens, it's a massive green haven with so many nooks to explore! Some parts feel like you're not even in the city anymore - a great escape into nature. The different themed gardens within the grounds are indeed a nice surprise, a whole new world to discover each time!

So many places, so little time! haha. Any other suggestions members have would be awesome too, especially for the upcoming holidays!
There is no end to the list of interesting spots in Singapore! You ladies seem to know the island well.

With the Botantic Gardens mentioned, I'll add another green spot to the list - The Nature Reserve. It's a tranquil sanctuary filled with tons of greenery and peaceful walks alongside the reservoir. A great escape from the bustling city and a wonderful place to appreciate nature.

Also, The Roving Minders might interest the younger ones. It's this super cool edutainment place with loads of hands-on activities and workshops on coding, robotics and other STEM topics. Might be worth checking out for those with inquisitive minds!

There is no end to the list of interesting spots in Singapore! You ladies seem to know the island well.

With the Botantic Gardens mentioned, I'll add another green spot to the list - The Nature Reserve. It's a tranquil sanctuary filled with tons of greenery and peaceful walks alongside the reservoir. A great escape from the bustling city and a wonderful place to appreciate nature.

Also, The Roving Minders might interest the younger ones. It's this super cool edutainment place with loads of hands-on activities and workshops on coding, robotics and other STEM topics. Might be worth checking out for those with inquisitive minds!
Wow, thanks for the recommendations, both the nature reserve and roving minders sound like fun places to bring kids too! I agree, there are indeed lots of cool spots in Singapore to visit but it can get tedious bringing the kids out during the weekends because that's when everyone else has the same idea. Weekday afternoons are the best time to bring the kids anywhere since there are fewer crowds!

Are there any other secret spots you ladies have been to? Places which are not so mainstream would be cool too!

Wow, thanks for the recommendations, both the nature reserve and roving minders sound like fun places to bring kids too! I agree, there are indeed lots of cool spots in Singapore to visit but it can get tedious bringing the kids out during the weekends because that's when everyone else has the same idea. Weekday afternoons are the best time to bring the kids anywhere since there are fewer crowds!

Are there any other secret spots you ladies have been to? Places which are not so mainstream would be cool too!
You're right about avoiding the weekend crowds! It's a great idea to go during weekdays if you can spare the time.

There's this hidden gem I recently discovered - a small but cute museum called the Changi Museum. It's situated within the old Changi Prison, showcasing the history of the prison and its former inmates. Quite an interesting and unique place with lots of photos, personal belongings and letters on display. They have a Jr Trail for kids which makes it more engaging and interactive, with quizzes and activities. Could be a solemn but eye-opening experience for the little ones!

Also, not sure if anyone has been to the Lee Kong Chian Natural History Museum. It's another great place for some nature and science learning. Not as crowded as other museums and fairly kid-friendly, with lots of dinosaurs and fossils to impress the youngsters.

You're right about avoiding the weekend crowds! It's a great idea to go during weekdays if you can spare the time.

There's this hidden gem I recently discovered - a small but cute museum called the Changi Museum. It's situated within the old Changi Prison, showcasing the history of the prison and its former inmates. Quite an interesting and unique place with lots of photos, personal belongings and letters on display. They have a Jr Trail for kids which makes it more engaging and interactive, with quizzes and activities. Could be a solemn but eye-opening experience for the little ones!

Also, not sure if anyone has been to the Lee Kong Chian Natural History Museum. It's another great place for some nature and science learning. Not as crowded as other museums and fairly kid-friendly, with lots of dinosaurs and fossils to impress the youngsters.
That sounds like a great museum to visit! I've heard of the Changi museum but haven't been there yet - seems like an educational spot to learn about Singapore's history too. We went to the Lee Kong Chian Natural History Museum once; it's quite impressive with all the dinosaurs and displays, a nice change from the usual mainstream museums.

It's cool how there are so many unique places in Singapore to bring kids to - from nature spots to little museums like these. Quite an exposure for them! Any other recommendations are welcomed, especially those off-the-beaten-path places!

That sounds like a great museum to visit! I've heard of the Changi museum but haven't been there yet - seems like an educational spot to learn about Singapore's history too. We went to the Lee Kong Chian Natural History Museum once; it's quite impressive with all the dinosaurs and displays, a nice change from the usual mainstream museums.

It's cool how there are so many unique places in Singapore to bring kids to - from nature spots to little museums like these. Quite an exposure for them! Any other recommendations are welcomed, especially those off-the-beaten-path places!
There is a place called Fort Canning Park which has lots of hidden trails and little nooks to explore. It's a nice spot for a peaceful picnic and some history exploration too. The park has different themed gardens and even a spice garden with fragrant plants. They also conduct nocturnal walks which might be fun for older kids, comes with stories of the park's past which sound pretty intriguing!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
There is a place called Fort Canning Park which has lots of hidden trails and little nooks to explore. It's a nice spot for a peaceful picnic and some history exploration too. The park has different themed gardens and even a spice garden with fragrant plants. They also conduct nocturnal walks which might be fun for older kids, comes with stories of the park's past which sound pretty intriguing!
Thanks for sharing! I used to go to Fort Canning Park for Zumba sessions a long time ago, but I haven't explored the rest of the park much. The spice garden sounds interesting, and it'll be nice to let the kids run around in the different trails too.

For older kids who enjoy some mystery and adventure, there are also a few companies offering ARG (alternative reality games) experiences - like Escape Hunt, which sets players on a mission around the city. Could be a fun way to expose them to local legends and lore, with a unique interactive twist!

Thanks for sharing! I used to go to Fort Canning Park for Zumba sessions a long time ago, but I haven't explored the rest of the park much. The spice garden sounds interesting, and it'll be nice to let the kids run around in the different trails too.

For older kids who enjoy some mystery and adventure, there are also a few companies offering ARG (alternative reality games) experiences - like Escape Hunt, which sets players on a mission around the city. Could be a fun way to expose them to local legends and lore, with a unique interactive twist!
Yes indeed, good for physical exercise at Fort Canning Park and also mind exercise with those mystery solving activities! The kids will surely enjoy themselves and will be tired out at the end of the day. A win-win situation for both parents and children!

Yes indeed, good for physical exercise at Fort Canning Park and also mind exercise with those mystery solving activities! The kids will surely enjoy themselves and will be tired out at the end of the day. A win-win situation for both parents and children!
That's true! Exposing them to new experiences helps develop their cognitive abilities too, especially problem-solving skills. Not to mention, some good exercise and fresh air never hurt anybody!

That's true! Exposing them to new experiences helps develop their cognitive abilities too, especially problem-solving skills. Not to mention, some good exercise and fresh air never hurt anybody!
I've heard of the benefits of ARG games for children's mental stimulation; it's like a fun adventure they have to figure out. Plus, Fort Canning Park looks like an interesting place to visit after working up an appetite - win-win indeed!

I've heard of the benefits of ARG games for children's mental stimulation; it's like a fun adventure they have to figure out. Plus, Fort Canning Park looks like an interesting place to visit after working up an appetite - win-win indeed!
Yes, plenty of physical and mental benefits! Looks like it's time for a family day out.

Yes, plenty of physical and mental benefits! Looks like it's time for a family day out.
Absolutely! Both the park and the games can keep the whole family entertained and engaged, which is a great way to bond and create lasting memories too.

Absolutely! Both the park and the games can keep the whole family entertained and engaged, which is a great way to bond and create lasting memories too.
That's true. Nothing like some quality family time to create wonderful memories.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu