• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Forums to discuss and recommend essential items for expectant mothers

bubblyfish

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'd love to hear about some must-have items that you found useful during pregnancy. I'm curious to learn about products that made a difference during those nine months - anything from clothing and comfort items to apps or tools for tracking development. Let's help soon-to-be moms know about the essentials!

One item I found incredibly useful was a pregnancy pillow. Those curved or U-shaped pillows that support your bump and legs can be a godsend, especially as your comfort levels change during pregnancy.

Another thing that helped me was creating a digital birth plan. Using an app or even a notes app on your phone, jotting down preferences and research - especially toward the end of pregnancy - was a helpful way to prepare for the big day and have some control over the proceedings. You can save articles, photos of positions and set-ups that appeal to you, and use it as a tool to communicate with your healthcare team too.

Lastly, I'd recommend investing in a good pregnancy massage oil or cream. Massages can be a lovely way to relax and ease those aching back muscles during pregnancy, and a natural oil can help with stretch marks and keeping skin hydrated - a little luxury that goes a long way! These are just a few of the many essentials out there!

One item I found incredibly useful was a pregnancy pillow. Those curved or U-shaped pillows that support your bump and legs can be a godsend, especially as your comfort levels change during pregnancy.

Another thing that helped me was creating a digital birth plan. Using an app or even a notes app on your phone, jotting down preferences and research - especially toward the end of pregnancy - was a helpful way to prepare for the big day and have some control over the proceedings. You can save articles, photos of positions and set-ups that appeal to you, and use it as a tool to communicate with your healthcare team too.

Lastly, I'd recommend investing in a good pregnancy massage oil or cream. Massages can be a lovely way to relax and ease those aching back muscles during pregnancy, and a natural oil can help with stretch marks and keeping skin hydrated - a little luxury that goes a long way! These are just a few of the many essentials out there!
Those are some really practical recommendations! I loved my pregnancy pillow; it's so true that as your belly grows, the comfort needs change. Having that support for the bump is a real back-saver and helps with sleep too.

I didn't create a digital birth plan but wish I had! It's such a great idea to have all the research and preferences in one place, especially for first-time moms who might feel a little lost like me.

And yes, indulgence is necessary sometimes, so that massage oil is a fantastic suggestion. Keeping the skin hydrated with natural oils can make a world of difference and is a lovely self-care practice.

Are there any other mom-to-be must-haves that people would recommend? It's such an exciting time preparing for baby's arrival, so many practical things to consider!

A few other things that might be useful to have on hand are:

- A good maternity support belt, it helps ease the strain on your back and hips, especially as your bump grows.

- A nursery sound machine or white noise app. It's a gentle way to mask ambient sounds, which can help soothe babies to sleep and also muffle any loud noises that might startle them.

- Breastfeeding essentials: Lansinoh or any preferred brand of breast cream, a good quality nursing bra, and maybe some reusable breast pads for leaks.

- Baby carrying wraps/slings - getting one that's comfortable and easy to use can be a godsend for hands-free baby wearing, plus it's a lovely way to bond and keep your little one close.

- A few packs of reusable ziplock bags, great for storing breastfeeding pump parts or any other baby essentials. And of course, always useful to have around for general snacking too!

So many exciting possibilities and prep to consider - it's such a special time.

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Some other items which could be useful are:

- A nosy frida sieve/colander for bathing newborns. They're great to help avoid getting soap or water in your baby's eyes and also helps to regulate the water temperature.

- Baby thermometer - digital, forehead or ear ones are great and will be used often to check if your little one is unwell.

- Vaseline/petroleum jelly for those first few weeks before the umbilical cord falls off. It's good to keep the area clean and moist as opposed to dry and cracked.

It's an exciting time So many preparations to make, but it's all so worth it in the end.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia and joyful
Those are some great suggestions!

I'll add those to my list, especially the nosefrida sieve, which I haven't heard of but sounds like a bathing essential. With all these tips, we'll be well prepared and ready for our little ones!

Reactions: cissy and chickadee
Those are some great suggestions!

I'll add those to my list, especially the nosefrida sieve, which I haven't heard of but sounds like a bathing essential. With all these tips, we'll be well prepared and ready for our little ones!
The Nosefrida is quite a useful device and comes in handy during the yucky colds. I'm glad you found the suggestions helpful. There are some good finds that make parenting a little easier!

The Nosefrida is quite a useful device and comes in handy during the yucky colds. I'm glad you found the suggestions helpful. There are some good finds that make parenting a little easier!
Yes, it's great to discover helpful inventions like these, especially when they make our parenting journey slightly more manageable! I appreciate the recommendation and will keep my eyes open for other useful gadgets too.

It's a pleasure - glad to share and hear how others find these recommendations. Some of these items are real life-savers and make such a difference! Always great to discover more too so keep those eyes peeled, will be interesting to see what other useful gems you uncover along your parenting journey.

It's a pleasure - glad to share and hear how others find these recommendations. Some of these items are real life-savers and make such a difference! Always great to discover more too so keep those eyes peeled, will be interesting to see what other useful gems you uncover along your parenting journey.
Some moms swear by their nasal aspirators - they really help with all the snotty noses. But I found that the good old cotton Buds are still a staple and often more accessible and affordable. Also worth mentioning is the humble changing mat! You'll be changing diapers on the go, so having a comfortable, compact and portable changing station is a must have.

Nasal aspirators are a godsend - especially when you’re dealing with a stuffy newborn! But I completely agree that cotton buds are an affordable and accessible staple every mom should have on her list.

And you’re right about the changing mat - it’s something that can easily be forgotten but is so essential for on-the-go diaper changes. Having a comfortable, portable one makes a big difference!

Anything else you'd recommend for new moms?

A few other items that could be useful for expectant mothers to have on their lists are:

1. A good baby carrier - it's a must-have for hands-free adventures with your little one. There are so many options out there, so finding one that suits your preferences can make a huge difference.

2. Muslin blankets - these versatile blankets can be used for swaddling, as a breastfeeding cover, a lightweight blanket, or even as a impromptu burp cloth.

3. lanolin cream is another essential in my opinion - it's great for dry and cracked nipples, which can be common during those early days of breastfeeding.

4. A stroller or pram that suits your lifestyle and needs. This can make a huge difference when getting out and about with baby. Some brands offer good quality and maneuverable options that are reasonably priced.

5. Pacifiers can be a lifesaver for soothing fussy babies - it's worth having a few on hand to try and find one that suits your baby's preference.

A few other items that could be useful for expectant mothers to have on their lists are:

1. A good baby carrier - it's a must-have for hands-free adventures with your little one. There are so many options out there, so finding one that suits your preferences can make a huge difference.

2. Muslin blankets - these versatile blankets can be used for swaddling, as a breastfeeding cover, a lightweight blanket, or even as a impromptu burp cloth.

3. lanolin cream is another essential in my opinion - it's great for dry and cracked nipples, which can be common during those early days of breastfeeding.

4. A stroller or pram that suits your lifestyle and needs. This can make a huge difference when getting out and about with baby. Some brands offer good quality and maneuverable options that are reasonably priced.

5. Pacifiers can be a lifesaver for soothing fussy babies - it's worth having a few on hand to try and find one that suits your baby's preference.
I second the point about finding a good baby carrier! It was a game-changer for me when my son was a bit older and more curious about the world. I could take him out in the carrier hands-free and he loved being so close to mom and observing everything around him.

As for muslin blankets, they're such a space-saver because of their versatility! I used them for almost everything - as a light cover during naps, to wipe milk messes, and even as a make-shift playmat when laid out on the floor.

I didn't breastfeed but I know many moms swear by lanolin cream. It's a lifesaver for nursing moms and definitely worth having!

Strollers can be a personal choice and it's good to do your research. There are so many options out there catering to different needs - lightweight, easy to maneuver, reversible, etc. It's helpful to think about where you'll be using it most - do you need something sturdy for the outdoors or a sleek one for city life?

Pacifiers are a great idea too. Some babies love them and it's a nice way to soothe them. I found that having a couple of different types on hand was useful, as some babies can be particular about their paclers!

Baby carriers are a godsend when your little ones start getting curious about the world outside! And you're spot on about muslin blankets - they're so versatile and a must-have for any expecting mother.

Lanolin cream is an excellent recommendation for nursing mothers, it can help with some of the inevitable discomforts that come with breastfeeding.

The stroller market is a confusing one with so many options available. Thinking about the environment in which it'll be used most is great advice - mamas-to-be should consider what features matter most to them.

Pacifiers are a great idea, and it's useful to have a few different types on hand as babies can be finicky!

Baby carriers are a godsend when your little ones start getting curious about the world outside! And you're spot on about muslin blankets - they're so versatile and a must-have for any expecting mother.

Lanolin cream is an excellent recommendation for nursing mothers, it can help with some of the inevitable discomforts that come with breastfeeding.

The stroller market is a confusing one with so many options available. Thinking about the environment in which it'll be used most is great advice - mamas-to-be should consider what features matter most to them.

Pacifiers are a great idea, and it's useful to have a few different types on hand as babies can be finicky!
Lanolin cream is a lifesaver for nursing moms! As for strollers, knowing your baby's needs and considering the usage environment is key to navigating the overwhelming stroller market. And yes, having a variety of pacifiers can come in handy too - babies can be mysterious!

With all the new gadgets hitting the market daily, it's overwhelming for parents these days! But some essentials remain unchanged - like carriers and muslin wraps, which get parents' votes over the years for their versatility.

Lanolin cream is a lifesaver - definitely one to keep on hand for any breastfeeding mums! And yeah, strollers can be so specific to needs. I'd say think about your lifestyle too - do you need something lightweight and easy to bring around? Or are you mainly using it for walks in the park?

Good point about lanolin cream; it's a must-have for breastfeeding mothers

As for strollers, considering the lifestyle of the parent is crucial. Some models can be hefty and suitable only for occasional use in certain scenarios, while others are lightweight and versatile, ideal for everyday use and quick outings.

Good point about lanolin cream; it's a must-have for breastfeeding mothers

As for strollers, considering the lifestyle of the parent is crucial. Some models can be hefty and suitable only for occasional use in certain scenarios, while others are lightweight and versatile, ideal for everyday use and quick outings.
Agree! Stroller features cater to different needs. Hefty strollers might be durable and fancy, but they're not practical for daily use and quick trips. I'd know - I once struggled getting it into the trunk of my car! lighter alternatives are so much more convenient and versatile for our fast-paced lives.

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
Lightweight strollers seem to be a popular choice these days! Many parents value their convenience and ease of use, especially when navigating busy cities or travelling. They're definitely an essential item for expectant mothers to consider!

Would you like to recommend any specific lightweight stroller brands or models that have served you well? I'm sure many mothers-to-be would appreciate hearing about your experiences.

Reactions: nature

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu