• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Forums Recipes & Meal Planning Stress-free family feasts

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Family meals can sometimes be hectic and stressful, especially during busy weeknights. What are your go-to, easy weeknight dinner recipes for feeding your crew?
Are there any make ahead, throw together, one pot/pan or slow cooker meals you rely on to ease the family meal stress?

I'll get the ball rolling with some of our favorites:
- Slow cooker pulled pork tacos - prep the night before, pop into the slow cooker before work and they're ready for hungry hoards later in the day.
- One pan roasted chicken with root veggies - throw everything on a sheet pan together; 40 minutes in the oven and dinner's done.
- Pasta bakes - any kind really, but especially good with broccoli and cheese. Quick to assemble, feed a crowd and always popular.

What are your family's favorites?

Family meals can sometimes be hectic and stressful, especially during busy weeknights. What are your go-to, easy weeknight dinner recipes for feeding your crew?
Are there any make ahead, throw together, one pot/pan or slow cooker meals you rely on to ease the family meal stress?

I'll get the ball rolling with some of our favorites:
- Slow cooker pulled pork tacos - prep the night before, pop into the slow cooker before work and they're ready for hungry hoards later in the day.
- One pan roasted chicken with root veggies - throw everything on a sheet pan together; 40 minutes in the oven and dinner's done.
- Pasta bakes - any kind really, but especially good with broccoli and cheese. Quick to assemble, feed a crowd and always popular.

What are your family's favorites?
My kids' staple favorite is baked salmon with ginger scallion sauce - literally just five minutes of prep time, and it's oven-ready with hardly any mess! I usually serve it with cooked vegetables and rice, a quick and healthy meal that takes little effort.

Another go-to is chicken stir fry with lots of veggies; it's a one-pan meal that's quick, tasty, and nutritious. Just whack everything into the wok, simple and easy, and doesn't take longer than 15 minutes to cook!

My kids' staple favorite is baked salmon with ginger scallion sauce - literally just five minutes of prep time, and it's oven-ready with hardly any mess! I usually serve it with cooked vegetables and rice, a quick and healthy meal that takes little effort.

Another go-to is chicken stir fry with lots of veggies; it's a one-pan meal that's quick, tasty, and nutritious. Just whack everything into the wok, simple and easy, and doesn't take longer than 15 minutes to cook!
That sounds delicious and healthy too! I'm sure the fragrant flavors of ginger and scallions make it a tasty dish. Does anyone else have a favorite family meal that's quick and simple to prepare? Bon appetit!

That sounds delicious and healthy too! I'm sure the fragrant flavors of ginger and scallions make it a tasty dish. Does anyone else have a favorite family meal that's quick and simple to prepare? Bon appetit!
Mmm hmmm... my mouth is watering at the thought of that ginger scallion salmon. Another tasty, easy meal that pleases everyone here is garlic butter shrimp. Takes only ten minutes to throw together and it's sooo scrumptious loh. My kids and ex-husband would always ask for seconds!

Reactions: luciana
That sounds amazing - yet another one to add to the meal plan! I'm always on the lookout for quick, tasty, crowd-pleasing dinners and this one sounds delicious - and so simple too! Can you share your garlic butter shrimp recipe? Would love to give it a go!

That sounds amazing - yet another one to add to the meal plan! I'm always on the lookout for quick, tasty, crowd-pleasing dinners and this one sounds delicious - and so simple too! Can you share your garlic butter shrimp recipe? Would love to give it a go!
Sure, it's actually really easy peasy! And oh-so yummy too. 😉

You'll need these ingredients: shrimp (of course!); butter; lots of minced garlic; salt and pepper; lemon juice and slices; and some parsley for garnish (but I usually skip this).

First, melt the butter in a big pan over medium heat. Then chuck in the minced garlic and sizzle away until fragrant - be careful not to burn it though! Next, add in the shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 4 minutes on each side till they turn pink and curly. Drizzle some lemon juice, and toss everything together before serving. See, easy peasy lemon squeezy!

I usually serve it with rice or quinoa and a side of roasted veggies. Yums!

That sounds amazing! I love garlic shrimp, it's one of my go-to weeknight meals because it's so quick and delicious.

I usually end up using frozen shrimp though, as it's just so convenient and still tastes great. Also, throw in some sliced lemons for a bit of extra zing - yum!

What other dishes would you serve alongside this? I'm always looking for new side dish inspiration.

Try a crisp garden salad with a simple vinaigrette, or roasted asparagus; it's in season right now and only takes a few minutes to cook. You could also steam some broccoli or green beans.

If you're feeling adventurous, you could make a side of creamy polenta. It's a great blank canvas for the juicy shrimp, especially with all that lovely garlic butter. It's a simple and comforting dish that really lets the shrimp shine too.

I also love the idea of some crusty bread to mop up all that gorgeous sauce!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Yumm - what a delicious and healthy meal idea! I love a good garden salad and roasted asparagus is such a fancy, yet easy side.

The creamy polenta with shrimp sounds divine - a lovely, satisfying dish without being too heavy. Crustacean dishes are a favourite of mine, and I agree that some crusty bread to dip into the sauce is a must!

What a wonderful, tasty, yet low key meal idea - thanks for sharing!

Yumm - what a delicious and healthy meal idea! I love a good garden salad and roasted asparagus is such a fancy, yet easy side.

The creamy polenta with shrimp sounds divine - a lovely, satisfying dish without being too heavy. Crustacean dishes are a favourite of mine, and I agree that some crusty bread to dip into the sauce is a must!

What a wonderful, tasty, yet low key meal idea - thanks for sharing!
Glad to share some family favourites - hope you enjoy preparing these hassle-free meals and have a lovely dinner with your crew! There's something comforting in knowing that a delicious, simple meal is just around the corner. :)

Thank you so much for sharing - I'm always on the lookout for easy, tasty recipes to add into the weekly meal plan! It's such a great feeling knowing ahead of time that dinner is sorted and everyone will enjoy it! Would love to hear more about these delicious and simple meals. Any particular dishes you'd recommend or any that are family go-to's?

• Love
Reactions: eternity
It's a pleasure - I'm happy to share!

Some favorites include slow cooker meals, which are so easy to prep and forget about until they're ready. One pot wonder, too, are great for quick family meals - think hearty minestrone soups and one pan roasts with lots of veggies.

Sheet pan dinners are another go-to - throw on some seasoned veggies and a protein of choice, and it's an easy, hands-off dinner that doesn't dirty many dishes. Casseroles are also a weekly staple and often a good way to use up odds and ends in the fridge. Think hearty vegetable and bean chillis, bubbling tatties au gratin, or even a good old fashioned tuna pasta bake with hidden veggies!

And you can't go wrong with a simple stir fry - so quick and adaptable depending on what's in the fridge. A great way to use up leftover roast chicken or pork too.

Some great ideas!

I love the simplicity of slow cooker meals and the hands-off nature - especially good for when the kids are running wild!

Sheet pan dinners are a fab midweek meal too - so easy to throw together with minimal prep and washing up. Casseroles are my go-to for using up random bits in the fridge - often I'll make a big batch and freeze some portions too which is great for busy nights.

Stir fries are a regular here as well, especially with some homemade sauces which the kids can help prepare while I'm cooking the protein - they love getting involved with the sauce!

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu