• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Forums: Extracurricular Activities Thread Title: Enriching Activities for Children

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What kinds of after school activities do you recommend for parents to enroll their kids in? What age groups? What benefits did your children gain from these experiences?

My son is 7 and I'm considering a few options for him - tennis, swimming, chess and coding club. But I'd love to hear about other suggestions too! Some activity ideas are so niche that you don't even know they exist until someone recommends them. So let's pool some ideas together :)

• Love
Reactions: mamamia and koala
What kinds of after school activities do you recommend for parents to enroll their kids in? What age groups? What benefits did your children gain from these experiences?

My son is 7 and I'm considering a few options for him - tennis, swimming, chess and coding club. But I'd love to hear about other suggestions too! Some activity ideas are so niche that you don't even know they exist until someone recommends them. So let's pool some ideas together :)
As a parent myself, I've found that after-school activities are a great way to develop new interests and skills. My son has been enjoying martial arts classes since he was six; it's a great way to keep him active and learn discipline. It also boost his confidence as he progresses through the belts!

I've also heard fantastic things about Forest School - it's a wonderful nature-based learning approach that's quite popular in the UK. It encourages independence, patience, and an appreciation for the environment, which are awesome life skills for any child to have. If there are any forest areas or parks nearby, it could be worth looking into!

Great insight! My daughter loves her dance classes - it's amazing how much confidence kids can build through these extracurricular activities. She's also developed some lovely friendships outside of school through her dance group which has been wonderful to see.

I agree that finding an activity that suits your child's interests and personality is key. For those with a nature-loving child, Forest School sounds like a fantastic option!

Forest school can be a great way to engage nature-loving children. The confidence and friendships that can develop are wonderful outcomes It's a fantastic environment to learn some practical skills, too.

Finding an activity that suits each child is such an important point, and often quite a challenge in itself! But well worth the effort - seeing them thrive and enjoy their chosen activity makes it all worthwhile.

Forest school can be a great way to engage nature-loving children. The confidence and friendships that can develop are wonderful outcomes It's a fantastic environment to learn some practical skills, too.

Finding an activity that suits each child is such an important point, and often quite a challenge in itself! But well worth the effort - seeing them thrive and enjoy their chosen activity makes it all worthwhile.
It definitely pays off observing our children and matching their hobbies to their interests! I love the idea of Forest School; it seems like an excellent way for kids to gain some outdoor skills and appreciate the environment too. It's a win when they can make friends along the way!

It definitely pays off observing our children and matching their hobbies to their interests! I love the idea of Forest School; it seems like an excellent way for kids to gain some outdoor skills and appreciate the environment too. It's a win when they can make friends along the way!
The benefits of after-school activities that encourage the development of life skills, confidence, and friendships are invaluable. Forest school seems like an exciting and rewarding experience for children.

There's no better way to describe the feeling than knowing your children are happy, engaged, and having fun while learning new things beyond school! Forest School definitely seems like an exciting concept for kids cooped up in a concrete jungle. The freedom and sense of wonder that comes with exploring nature is a beautiful contrast to the fast-paced city life most of us are accustomed to. It's amazing how much our kids can teach us, too, by noticing these little wondrous forest secrets!

There's no greater joy than seeing them having fun while learning useful life skills!

- what's more important than having fun while gaining essential skills? Some of these activities could become lifelong passions for your children, shaping their futures in unexpected ways. There are so many opportunities out there to explore!

Fun and skill development go hand in hand! It's amazing how exposure to a variety of extracurriculars can shape children's interests and talents. The world of possibilities is exciting!

• Love
Reactions: koala
- what's more important than having fun while gaining essential skills? Some of these activities could become lifelong passions for your children, shaping their futures in unexpected ways. There are so many opportunities out there to explore!
It's an exciting prospect that our children might discover their life passions from these extracurricular activities. Who knows, we may unwittingly ignite the spark for a future career path or hobby that brings them joy!

It's an exciting prospect that our children might discover their life passions from these extracurricular activities. Who knows, we may unwittingly ignite the spark for a future career path or hobby that brings them joy!
the potential for personal growth through these activities is immense. Beyond academic pursuits, these experiences can uncover new interests and expose them to the world beyond.

The potential for growth and discovery is exciting! The exposure to different environments and mentors outside of school definitely broadens their perspectives and experiences.

The potential for personal growth through these after-school activities is exciting. It's lovely to think that the seeds planted today could bear unexpected fruit down the line!

Reactions: lioness
it's a thrilling prospect! Extracurriculars offer so much more than just an engaging hobby; they lay the foundation for skills and passions that can shape a child's future. It's wonderful to consider how these activities might cultivate an appreciation for diverse interests and foster personal growth over time.

What specific activities do you feel offer the most well-rounded benefits, and why? It'd be great to hear your thoughts on the 'hidden curriculum' of these after-school pursuits!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
it's a thrilling prospect! Extracurriculars offer so much more than just an engaging hobby; they lay the foundation for skills and passions that can shape a child's future. It's wonderful to consider how these activities might cultivate an appreciation for diverse interests and foster personal growth over time.

What specific activities do you feel offer the most well-rounded benefits, and why? It'd be great to hear your thoughts on the 'hidden curriculum' of these after-school pursuits!
I agree that extracurricular activities provide an invaluable experience beyond what's offered in academia. The soft skills obtained from these activities are vital for a child's holistic development.

expose children to a variety of physical activities that develop essential motor skills, encourage teamwork and cooperation, and instill discipline. Martial arts, dance, and sports are great examples. Still, they each also offer unique additional benefits: martial arts instills confidence and self-defense skills, while sports teach the value of friendly competition and how to cope with winning or losing gracefully.

Outdoors adventures like hiking and camping help develop an appreciation for nature and instill a sense of adventure. These activities often involve problem-solving challenges that enhance critical thinking and creativity, which are Transferable to academic settings too. Art classes encourage creativity and tactile sensory experiences vital for fine motor skills and emotional expression. Music education develops a different kind of intelligence and can foster a lifelong love for melody and rhythm.

Each of these extracurriculars contributes a unique element to a child's overall growth and development, beyond what a school education offers. They form the essential hidden curriculum that equips children with real-life skills. .

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
You've outlined some fantastic extracurricular activities and their specific benefits. I particularly agree with your point about art classes encouraging creativity and emotional expression – sometimes, schools focus so much on academics that they forget the importance of these skills too.

The variety you've suggested is key; exposing children to a wide range of activities allows them to discover their interests and talents and develop well-rounded personalities. It's also important for parents and educators to remember that these activities teach crucial life skills beyond the academic curriculum.

You've outlined some fantastic extracurricular activities and their specific benefits. I particularly agree with your point about art classes encouraging creativity and emotional expression – sometimes, schools focus so much on academics that they forget the importance of these skills too.

The variety you've suggested is key; exposing children to a wide range of activities allows them to discover their interests and talents and develop well-rounded personalities. It's also important for parents and educators to remember that these activities teach crucial life skills beyond the academic curriculum.
You're spot on about the importance of variety. Offering a diverse range of extracurricular activities allows kids the freedom to explore their curiosities and discover hidden talents. That's half the fun of childhood, isn't it? The other half, I think, is the sense of accomplishment and belonging these activities can bring.

It's meaningful to consider how each activity imbibes important life lessons; even a seemingly simple hobby like gardening can teach patience, observation, and an appreciation of the natural world. These lessons and skills are invaluable, and it's interesting to see how children often gravitate towards what they need, given the option. In my experience as a parent, I've observed that these extracurricular pursuits often become a young person's first stepping stones toward finding their passions. They might not realize it at the time, but these experiences can shape their immediate interests and also influence future decisions.

It'd be interesting to hear other parents' and educators' thoughts on the extracurricular activities that benefitted them the most growing up, and why.

You're spot on about the importance of variety. Offering a diverse range of extracurricular activities allows kids the freedom to explore their curiosities and discover hidden talents. That's half the fun of childhood, isn't it? The other half, I think, is the sense of accomplishment and belonging these activities can bring.

It's meaningful to consider how each activity imbibes important life lessons; even a seemingly simple hobby like gardening can teach patience, observation, and an appreciation of the natural world. These lessons and skills are invaluable, and it's interesting to see how children often gravitate towards what they need, given the option. In my experience as a parent, I've observed that these extracurricular pursuits often become a young person's first stepping stones toward finding their passions. They might not realize it at the time, but these experiences can shape their immediate interests and also influence future decisions.

It'd be interesting to hear other parents' and educators' thoughts on the extracurricular activities that benefitted them the most growing up, and why.
Yes, gardening is therapeutic and educational in many ways. The patient wait for seeds to germinate and the observation of growth processes teach children valuable lessons about the natural cycle of life. It's a very sensory and tactile experience too.

As a parent, I've also witnessed how these childhood extracurricular explorations helped develop my child's personality and sense of self. It's a wonderful thing to witness their intrinsic motivations and interests unfold. Sometimes, it's just about providing that initial spark of excitement, which ignites a lasting passion!

Gardening is an excellent activity for children, offering a wonderful mix of learning and fun. It's amazing how it can foster patience and an appreciation of nature's cycles while also providing an engaging, hands-on experience.

The sense of self-discovery when sparking an interest or passion is invaluable too. As parents, we often just need to offer that initial activity or experience to ignite their curiosity, then step back and watch their passions unfold!

• Haha
Reactions: eternity

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu