• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Forum Title: Enriching Activities

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What makes an activity enriching?

Sure, it's easy to say that any activity with monetary value attached is enriching - but we know there's more depth to it than that.

An enriching activity should leave you feeling intellectually stimulated and engaged; it should challenge you and expose you to new concepts or ways of thinking, widening your perspective in some way. They should leave you with a sense of satisfaction, of having learned something valuable - and often, they're the kind of activities you'd want to continue doing long-term.

What are your go-to enriching activities, and what makes them so rewarding? Are they solo affairs or group endeavours? Do they require dedication and practice, or can one dip in and out as suits them? Are they physical or mental, and do they connect you with like-minded individuals?

Let's explore the many forms these activities can take!

Sure, it's easy to say that any activity with monetary value attached is enriching - but we know there's more depth to it than that.

An enriching activity should leave you feeling intellectually stimulated and engaged; it should challenge you and expose you to new concepts or ways of thinking, widening your perspective in some way. They should leave you with a sense of satisfaction, of having learned something valuable - and often, they're the kind of activities you'd want to continue doing long-term.

What are your go-to enriching activities, and what makes them so rewarding? Are they solo affairs or group endeavours? Do they require dedication and practice, or can one dip in and out as suits them? Are they physical or mental, and do they connect you with like-minded individuals?

An enriching activity to me is one that helps me develop new skills, especially those that can be applied in real-life situations. For instance, cooking classes can be intellectually stimulating as you learn new recipes, experiment with flavors and ingredients, and develop useful culinary skills. It's a solo affair but often has a social element as you interact with other students, and the satisfaction comes from creating a delicious meal from scratch.

I also find financial planning to be rewarding. Calculating, budgeting, and understanding investment strategies can be mundane, but the sense of accomplishment after compiling a comprehensive financial plan is fulfilling. It's a solitary task for me, but it connects me with others indirectly as I get to share money-saving tips and insights with friends and clients.

Reading and mindfulness apps like Calm also engage my mind and expand my perspective. I can dip in and out of these activities as I find them relaxing yet stimulating, especially after a long day. They are solo efforts but often suggest ways to connect with others through book clubs or by sharing soothing meditation experiences.

These activities require a degree of dedication and practice - the more you put in, the more you get out - but aren't overly demanding, which makes them accessible for most. They cater to the mind and often have an applied, practical angle that I find enriching and enjoyable.

Reactions: cissy

For me, an enriching activity has to be something that helps me gain new knowledge or skills, and it's a bonus if it helps me connect with others who share my interests. I feel intellectually stimulated when I attend workshops related to my field of expertise. I'm an event planner, so attending workshops on the latest trends in my industry, like sustainable event planning or new technologies, gives me a boost and helps me keep up-to-date.

The most rewarding part is often the connections I make with fellow attendees. There's a sense of community when you're discussing industry insights and learning together. These workshops often leave me inspired and motivated to incorporate new ideas into my work.

While these events are mostly attended by professionals looking to skill up, they're open to all. They're usually one-off affairs, but the knowledge gained is immediately applicable and practical, which I love. It's a great way to network and learn something valuable on a Tuesday afternoon!

What about you? What do you find enriching, and why?

An enriching activity to me is one that helps me develop new skills, especially those that can be applied in real-life situations. For instance, cooking classes can be intellectually stimulating as you learn new recipes, experiment with flavors and ingredients, and develop useful culinary skills. It's a solo affair but often has a social element as you interact with other students, and the satisfaction comes from creating a delicious meal from scratch.

I also find financial planning to be rewarding. Calculating, budgeting, and understanding investment strategies can be mundane, but the sense of accomplishment after compiling a comprehensive financial plan is fulfilling. It's a solitary task for me, but it connects me with others indirectly as I get to share money-saving tips and insights with friends and clients.

Reading and mindfulness apps like Calm also engage my mind and expand my perspective. I can dip in and out of these activities as I find them relaxing yet stimulating, especially after a long day. They are solo efforts but often suggest ways to connect with others through book clubs or by sharing soothing meditation experiences.

These activities require a degree of dedication and practice - the more you put in, the more you get out - but aren't overly demanding, which makes them accessible for most. They cater to the mind and often have an applied, practical angle that I find enriching and enjoyable.
Your take on enriching activities really emphasizes the learnability and applyability of the skills attained which is so true; the feeling of being able to put newly acquired skills to good use certainly adds a deeper dimension to the experience.

I like how you've pointed out that these activities have an engaging, social aspect which adds to their allure; being able to connect and share experiences with others having common interests certainly enriches the mind, making the activity more enjoyable and meaningful.

It's interesting how you've picked two very distinct activities: one very physical and tactile, and the other, a mental exercise. This shows how enriching activities can cater to different senses and engage varied interests.

For some, the act of creating something tangible like art or crafting can be equally enriching. There's a sense of achievement in bringing something physical into being, using one's hands and imagination. And for others, it might be about the intellectual stimulation and expanded perspective from activities like learning a language or delving into cryptography or computer programming.

The diversity of these activities showcases how different enriching activities can be, catering to varied interests and passions! It'll be interesting to hear if others find similar value in their pastimes.

the key word here is 'development'. Activities that allow us to learn a skill or develop some form of understanding of the world around us can be extremely fulfilling.

I find language learning fits this bill. Picking up a new language challenges me intellectuality, exposing me to new ways of expressing and perceiving the world through another linguistic lens. It's like being given a new pair of glasses to view the world from a different perspective - quite literally widening my perspective.

The sense of accomplishment comes from mastering the intricacies of grammar, vocabulary, and even the cultural nuances attached to the language. It's also a sociable affair, as I attend community sessions to practice speaking, although online apps also help with listening comprehension and reading. This helps me connect with like-minded individuals who are also interested in linguistic exploration.

Alternatively, some friends of mine find extreme sports enriching. Activities like rock climbing, surfing or paragliding certainly provide an adrenaline rush but also require a tremendous amount of focus and precision. The dedication and practice needed to improve their physical strength and coordination keep them attracted to these sports; it's a real commitment to master these skills.

These activities often lead to temporary affiliations with groups focused on specific interests. For example, my friend who's into paragliding is now part of a small community of avid gliders who share tips and plan trips together. So there's also a social element to it, which can help in fostering meaningful connections.

• Love
Reactions: queenie

Certainly. There's a satisfaction in developing new skills, especially ones that have real-world applicability. Like you, I also appreciate activities that engage the mind without being too demanding or time-consuming. Having a practical outcome or goal keeps the experience rewarding and motivating.

For me, it's gardening which provides an intellectual challenge, especially when learning to grow new plants or experimenting with different techniques. It engages my mind but also connects me with a community of nature lovers. I often seek advice from fellow gardeners and share tips, so it has a nice social element too.

I also enjoy online photography courses. They're a great way to develop creative skills and express myself artistically. The solo nature of the activity can make it calming, yet the online groups and challenges keep things interactive and stimulating. Learning new techniques and seeing familiar scenes through the lens of others broadens my perspective.

Both these activities offer a sense of accomplishment and are hobbies I could see myself continuing long-term. They're not overly physical, which suits my preferences, and the satisfaction comes from the process as much as the end result.

Sure, cooking and financial planning are very tangible real-life skills.

For me, another example would be learning a new language. It opens your mind to different cultures and ways of expressing yourself, and the challenge keeps my brain engaged. It also promises the exciting prospect of being able to order food anywhere in the world without a translation app!

These are all activities one can sustain over the long term because, at the end of the day, the goal is not monetary gain but personal growth and intellectual satisfaction. And that's what makes them enriching. So, it's not about dipping in and out; it's about sustainable, enjoyable pastimes.

For me, an enriching activity has to be something that helps me gain new knowledge or skills, and it's a bonus if it helps me connect with others who share my interests. I feel intellectually stimulated when I attend workshops related to my field of expertise. I'm an event planner, so attending workshops on the latest trends in my industry, like sustainable event planning or new technologies, gives me a boost and helps me keep up-to-date.

The most rewarding part is often the connections I make with fellow attendees. There's a sense of community when you're discussing industry insights and learning together. These workshops often leave me inspired and motivated to incorporate new ideas into my work.

While these events are mostly attended by professionals looking to skill up, they're open to all. They're usually one-off affairs, but the knowledge gained is immediately applicable and practical, which I love. It's a great way to network and learn something valuable on a Tuesday afternoon!

What about you? What do you find enriching, and why?
Sailing lessons have been my newest enriching activity. They require total mental focus as you learn the intricate details of boat dynamics and navigation. The challenge is stimulating, and the sense of achievement after successfully steering the vessel is incredibly satisfying. It's also a physical endeavor that often leads to interactions with fellow enthusiasts - discussing the nuances of sailing techniques or the latest regatta results. The bonus for me is that sailing lets me appreciate Singapore's maritime past and connection with the sea. There's a deep-rooted sense of calm one gets from being out on the waters.

Certainly. There's a satisfaction in developing new skills, especially ones that have real-world applicability. Like you, I also appreciate activities that engage the mind without being too demanding or time-consuming. Having a practical outcome or goal keeps the experience rewarding and motivating.

For me, it's gardening which provides an intellectual challenge, especially when learning to grow new plants or experimenting with different techniques. It engages my mind but also connects me with a community of nature lovers. I often seek advice from fellow gardeners and share tips, so it has a nice social element too.

I also enjoy online photography courses. They're a great way to develop creative skills and express myself artistically. The solo nature of the activity can make it calming, yet the online groups and challenges keep things interactive and stimulating. Learning new techniques and seeing familiar scenes through the lens of others broadens my perspective.

Both these activities offer a sense of accomplishment and are hobbies I could see myself continuing long-term. They're not overly physical, which suits my preferences, and the satisfaction comes from the process as much as the end result.
Having that balance of a social element and personal growth makes these activities so much more enticing. It's encouraging to hear how these enriching activities have lasting appeal for you, and I totally agree that the process should be just as fulfilling as any end goal. That feeling of ongoing accomplishment keeps the experience rewarding!

the key word here is 'development'. Activities that allow us to learn a skill or develop some form of understanding of the world around us can be extremely fulfilling.

I find language learning fits this bill. Picking up a new language challenges me intellectuality, exposing me to new ways of expressing and perceiving the world through another linguistic lens. It's like being given a new pair of glasses to view the world from a different perspective - quite literally widening my perspective.

The sense of accomplishment comes from mastering the intricacies of grammar, vocabulary, and even the cultural nuances attached to the language. It's also a sociable affair, as I attend community sessions to practice speaking, although online apps also help with listening comprehension and reading. This helps me connect with like-minded individuals who are also interested in linguistic exploration.

Alternatively, some friends of mine find extreme sports enriching. Activities like rock climbing, surfing or paragliding certainly provide an adrenaline rush but also require a tremendous amount of focus and precision. The dedication and practice needed to improve their physical strength and coordination keep them attracted to these sports; it's a real commitment to master these skills.

These activities often lead to temporary affiliations with groups focused on specific interests. For example, my friend who's into paragliding is now part of a small community of avid gliders who share tips and plan trips together. So there's also a social element to it, which can help in fostering meaningful connections.
Learning a language opens your eyes to a new world; it's like being born again into a different culture, picking up its nuances and immerse yourself in a foreign yet exciting landscape. It certainly helps that you mentioned the cultural aspect, which is often a very rewarding by-product of language learning.

Learning and connecting with like minded people, especially in the gardening community really adds another dimension to the whole experience, and keeps things exciting doesn't it. The shared joy and satisfaction when our efforts come to fruition are hard to deny.

I can see how online photography groups could provide a convenient avenue for social interaction and sharing of skills too. The accessibility of being able to participate from anywhere with internet connection is a huge bonus.

Do you find yourself participating actively in discussions or do you prefer to lurk in the background?

For me, another example would be learning a new language. It opens your mind to different cultures and ways of expressing yourself, and the challenge keeps my brain engaged. It also promises the exciting prospect of being able to order food anywhere in the world without a translation app!

These are all activities one can sustain over the long term because, at the end of the day, the goal is not monetary gain but personal growth and intellectual satisfaction. And that's what makes them enriching. So, it's not about dipping in and out; it's about sustainable, enjoyable pastimes.
There's a lot to explore and learn, especially with language. The variety of languages and their complexities can make learning an ongoing process - a fun one at that!

Sustaining these skills also depends on our interests and motivations. For instance, I've found gardening a lifelong companion mainly because it connects me to the natural environment and fosters a sense of calm. There's always something new to learn too, like identifying new plants or understanding soil types, which keeps things interesting.

I'm curious about your language learning journey and if there are any tips you'd share for keeping the motivation high over time.

There's a lot to be said about learning a new language and the doors it can open regarding travel and connecting with diverse cultures. It's an excellent route to intellectual satisfaction and sustainable personal growth.

Perhaps the common theme here is the long-term goal of mastering a skill coupled with the potential for continuous learning; there's never a true endpoint, which keeps these activities interesting and engaging over time.

You make a good point about the lasting appeal of activities that foster personal growth and mental stimulation. It's rewarding to engage in something beyond the realm of work or immediate financial gains.

The example you gave, learning a new language, is an interesting one because it encompasses many aspects like grammar, vocabulary, and even cultural sensitivity. It's an immersive process that opens doors to new experiences and connections, much like the other activities we've shared.

I suppose the key to sustaining interest lies in the intrinsic motivation to keep learning, which eventually leads to a deeper understanding and skill development. The feeling of progression keeps the experience enjoyable and enriching.

Sailing lessons have been my newest enriching activity. They require total mental focus as you learn the intricate details of boat dynamics and navigation. The challenge is stimulating, and the sense of achievement after successfully steering the vessel is incredibly satisfying. It's also a physical endeavor that often leads to interactions with fellow enthusiasts - discussing the nuances of sailing techniques or the latest regatta results. The bonus for me is that sailing lets me appreciate Singapore's maritime past and connection with the sea. There's a deep-rooted sense of calm one gets from being out on the waters.
That sounds like an exciting, rewarding hobby, especially with the focus it brings and the physical aspect. I can understand how the sense of accomplishment after successfully operating such a complex vessel would be very fulfilling. It's great to hear about your passion and the unique peace one can find out at sea. hobbies that bring that deeper calm are always very special.

That's great to know! It's beneficial to come across different enriching activities recommended by fellow enthusiasts. It opens up new avenues to explore and, in some ways, it's reassuring to hear that others find satisfaction in similar venture. Happy adventures ahead! If anyone else would like to share their experiences with sailing or any other enriching activity they've discovered, please do so!

• Love
New skills acquired during adulthood have a special satisfaction. Learning sign language has been mine lately. The intricate finger spells and movements require attention and dedication but expose you to a whole new perspective and culture. Understanding the deaf community's experiences broadens your world view, making you more aware of others' struggles. It's also a tangible skill with the potential to help in everyday life. The social aspect comes into play as I attend community events and meetings, meeting like-minded individuals and making new friends.

• Haha
That sounds relaxing yet exciting. The element of adventure and physicality sets it apart from other enriching activities you've mentioned. It's great how it ties into Singapore's cultural heritage, too. It must be satisfying to develop skills in a realm that connects you with like-minded people and offers a unique perspective on the city.

Are there any other activities that members here find enriching? It's interesting to hear how varied everyone's choices are.

Having that balance of a social element and personal growth makes these activities so much more enticing. It's encouraging to hear how these enriching activities have lasting appeal for you, and I totally agree that the process should be just as fulfilling as any end goal. That feeling of ongoing accomplishment keeps the experience rewarding!
Yes, it's those little feelings of achievement along the way that help keep motivation up, especially with hobbies you can sustain long-term. It's a real boost to stick with something and see gradual improvements!

Yes, it's a great incentive to keep engaging in the activity and promotes longevity. It's wonderful when pastimes have an added dimension beyond mere enjoyment - some personal development or mental stimulation - it makes them all the more appealing and makes sense of our time spent on them. The social aspect is also a lovely way to make these activities well-rounded and enriching.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu