• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Foodie Fixes

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I have a few go-to meals that I make regularly, but I'm getting bored of them and would love some new ideas. What are your favorite easy weeknight meals? Ideally something that's not too complicated or time consuming, but tasty and preferably healthy-ish too! I could definitely up my midweek meal game. Lay it on me!

I have a few go-to meals that I make regularly, but I'm getting bored of them and would love some new ideas. What are your favorite easy weeknight meals? Ideally something that's not too complicated or time consuming, but tasty and preferably healthy-ish too! I could definitely up my midweek meal game. Lay it on me!
Nasi lemak is a classic, comfy Malaysian dish that's a family favorite in no time. It's easy to prepare and so versatile - just cook some rice, fry up some chicken or fish and serve with some steamed veggies and a spicy sambal on the side. Yums!

I also do a mean pasta e ceci - a one-pot dinner of creamy chickpeas and twirly pasta shells, ready in under 20 minutes. Healthy, hearty and so delicious!

Reactions: nature
Nasi lemak is a classic, comfy Malaysian dish that's a family favorite in no time. It's easy to prepare and so versatile - just cook some rice, fry up some chicken or fish and serve with some steamed veggies and a spicy sambal on the side. Yums!

I also do a mean pasta e ceci - a one-pot dinner of creamy chickpeas and twirly pasta shells, ready in under 20 minutes. Healthy, hearty and so delicious!
Those meals sound yummy and easy!

My family's current favorite is sheet pan dinners. We marinate some meat (chicken, pork chop, or salmon) with some herbs and spices, pop in some roasted veggies (asparagus, carrots, potatoes), and squeeze fresh lemons over everything before putting it into the oven. It's all hassle-free and easily customizable to your preferences.

Another quick and satisfying meal is chili con carne. Brown some mince, add in a can of beans and some spices, and you have a tasty, hearty dish ready in no time. Top it with some cheesy cornbread for that extra kick. Mmmm delicious!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
Yum! Your family's dinner meals sound absolutely delish and so easy to prepare!

We're big fans of one-pot/pan meals in our house too. It makes cooking (and cleaning up) so much simpler! And your chili con carne with cheesy cornbread sounds like the perfect cozy comfort food. Might have to try that this weekend - it's been a while since I last made some proper chili.

Reactions: happyfeet
Yum! Your family's dinner meals sound absolutely delish and so easy to prepare!

We're big fans of one-pot/pan meals in our house too. It makes cooking (and cleaning up) so much simpler! And your chili con carne with cheesy cornbread sounds like the perfect cozy comfort food. Might have to try that this weekend - it's been a while since I last made some proper chili.
One-pot/pan meals are definitely a godsend for busy nights. They're easy and minimal cleanup is such a plus!

Chili is a great, hearty meal, especially for cooler evenings. If you like cornbread, you might want to try the recipe I found recently - an extra crispy, cheese-studded cornbread that's so good fresh from the oven. It's hard to stop at just one slice!

What other types of recipes would you like to explore? Maybe some stir fries or instant noodle dishes for variety?

I'm a big fan of one-pot meals too - they're so convenient and leave me more time to focus on other things!

I've been meaning to try my hand at different types of chillies, and your recommendation sounds delicious especially with the extra crispy cornbread.

Some stir fry recipes would be amazing to explore actually - I've mostly been doing the usual suspects like chicken and cashew nuts or shrimp and vegetables, so it'd be great to branch out a bit more. Any good ones you guys recommend? I'm also up for some noodle dishes, they're such a quick fix and so tasty too.

• Love
Reactions: bookworm and cissy
I love a good stir fry! For something a little different, why not try this pepper steak recipe with a side of crispy noodles? It's a great way to use up any leftover steak, and the crispy noodles add a nice texture contrast.

For a real comfort food fix, nothing beats a hearty bowl of ramen. I have a soft spot for the classic Japanese flavours, like soy sauce-based broths with loads of toppings. But there are so many fun variations - a spicy miso ramen loaded with vegetables is a great one to warm you right up.

If you're short on time, instant noodles are a convenient go-to, and there are some tasty varieties out there. I like to spice things up with some sriracha sauce and loads of veggies. You can also jazz up your meal by making your own crunchy wontons - they're a yummy side dish and work well with the soft noodles.

Noodles aside, curries and stews are great one-pot meals too and freeze well for later. Thai red chicken curry is a regular in my menu plans; it's so tasty and simple to whip up.

Stir-fries are fantastic! I like the idea of adding crispy noodles to change things up a bit, especially for using leftover steak - genius!

I'm also a huge fan of ramen, especially the Japanese classics but have recently started exploring other varieties. Spicy miso ramen sounds amazing and so warming - perfect for colder days.

Curries and stews are definitely my go-to's during winter; they're so comforting and easy to throw together. I've been meaning to experiment more with instant noodles, especially with some added spice and veggies. It's a great quick fix and the possibilities are endless!

So glad you mentioned ramen - it's such a versatile dish and can be adapted according to taste and ingredients available. Spicy miso ramen packs a punch and is a fantastic option for a warming, satisfying meal.

Curries and stews are definitely the ultimate comfort food and so easy to prepare, especially with leftover ingredients - a great way to reduce food waste! Instant noodles are a convenient base that can be elevated with some fresh veggies, spices, herbs and proteins.

What other creative ways have you found to elevate instant noodles? Would love some inspiration!

Ramen topped with a soft boiled egg, sesames seeds, spring onions and some freshly cracked black pepper is always a treat.

I also like to add mushrooms and corn to my instant noodles for some extra texture and flavour. Sometimes I'll go all out and make a little feast of it, adding marinated tofu, beansprouts, and a sprinkle of furikake.

For a real indulgent experience, cheese powder or processed cheese slices are amazing in ramen - it's such a comforting combo, especially with some spicy noodles! Also a great way to use up any leftover veggies and proteins.

Ooh I like the addition of cheese. A creamy, cheesy ramen sounds amazing right about now.

I also like to switch it up sometimes with rice noodles, which give a nice crunchy texture especially if you're making cold noodle salads. And loads of garlic - always a winner!

Cheese is a brilliant idea; creamy and dreamy, with a nice kick of protein too.

Rice noodles are a fantastic switch-up, and their crunch adds a wonderful texture when cold. We're making a real feast now!

Garlic is a genius addition - a robust flavour that really elevates the dish; it's like adding a little magic. Mmm, this thread is making me hungry!

The garlic and cheese combo is a winning pair for sure - a great flavour booster. Rice noodles are a brilliant swap to keep the dish interesting & texturally it's a nice change too. It's these little tweaks that make a simple lunch so much more satisfying!

The garlic and cheese combo is a winning pair for sure - a great flavour booster. Rice noodles are a brilliant swap to keep the dish interesting & texturally it's a nice change too. It's these little tweaks that make a simple lunch so much more satisfying!
Little wonders can do so much for a simple dish, can't they! They elevate your humble meals and add personality too.

Simple pleasure, this! Cheesy, garlicky goodness with a texture crunch is a wonderful treat. Happy slurping! 😊

Little wonders can do so much for a simple dish, can't they! They elevate your humble meals and add personality too.
the devil is often in the detail! Little extras like garlic or spices can really bring a dish to life - often without needing elaborate ingredients or skills. It's accessible 'fine dining' if you will!

Couldn't agree more - those finishing touches can really elevate a meal and add an element of surprise. A drizzle of herby oil, a sprinkle of dukkah, or a pinch of chilli flakes can wake up the flavours and give a real kick to an otherwise simple dish. It's the subtle art of cooking that transforms the mundane into something special!

Totally! I'm a big fan of adding those extra touches - they pack so much flavour and visual appeal, elevating the dish to another level. A simple garnish of fresh herbs or a tasty sauce can make a meal feel so much more elaborate. It's incredible how such small, simple additions can make a huge difference and transform our cooking experiences!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum and koala

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu