• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Fitness & Wellness Mum's Active Lifestyle Secrets

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
## Topic: Mum's Active Lifestyle Secrets

Hi ladies (or gentlemen), I'm super excited for this thread because being a mum doesn't mean we have to sacrifice our fitness and wellness goals!

I'm curious to hear about everyone's secrets for staying active, especially those with kids running around! How do you find the time and energy? What motivates you to stay fit? Share all your tips and tricks!

I'll go first! As a mum of two energetic toddlers, my secret is incorporating exercise into family time. We go on bike rides, have dance-offs in the living room, and turn garden chores into games. For me, it's about keeping it fun so exercise doesn't feel like a chore. Also, getting the kids involved keeps me accountable!

Now over to you - let's share our active lifestyle hacks!

Reactions: sunnydays
I'm also a mumma of 2 and agree that having fun with fitness is the way to go!

My go-to move is making exercise a family affair too - we mums have enough on our plate so why not get the whole crew involved, right? I find going for strolls along the park or beach with the stroller while jamming out to some feel good tunes does the trick. My older one loves it too and often asks me to "pump up the jams"! We also love setting up obstacle courses in the backyard - it's a great way to tire the kids out and get some giggles in!

Staying active is all about keeping things light, fun and accessible. You're doing great, mums ! Keep sharing the good vibes!

No need to sacrifice health and fitness just because we become mothers! That's the spirit!

Agree that finding time is the toughest part. I find making exercise a family affair a good way to keep everyone active and also bond with the kids. No need fancy equipment or gym memberships - weekends can be spent playing outdoor games together. Or if the weather's bad, indoor games like yoga are fun too, and the kids seem to love trying to imitate the poses!

The key for me is to make it fun so that it doesn't feel like another chore haha. And of course, the little ones love it when Mum manages to join in their playtime!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
I think it's a great idea to incorporate exercise into family time! It's so true that having young 'uns around shouldn't stop us from being fit and healthy. For me, going to the gym is a good stress reliever, so I make sure I carve out some me-time for that. When I'm short on time, I do quick HIIT workouts at home while my kids are napping. No fancy equipment needed - just good ol' bodyweight exercises like burpees, jumping jacks and mountain climbers. Also, signing up for races or fitness challenges keeps me motivated to stay on track 'cause I gotta train for that finisher's medal!

What're some of your go-to moves when you need a quick workout fix?

I think it's a great idea to incorporate exercise into family time! It's so true that having young 'uns around shouldn't stop us from being fit and healthy. For me, going to the gym is a good stress reliever, so I make sure I carve out some me-time for that. When I'm short on time, I do quick HIIT workouts at home while my kids are napping. No fancy equipment needed - just good ol' bodyweight exercises like burpees, jumping jacks and mountain climbers. Also, signing up for races or fitness challenges keeps me motivated to stay on track 'cause I gotta train for that finisher's medal!

What're some of your go-to moves when you need a quick workout fix?
I think exercising is much easier when it comes naturally through fun activities! It's a great way to bond with the family and keep everyone healthy too.

Having some alone time for exercise is also necessary, and it's a great de-stressor. I like how you plan your workouts around your kids' nap time - quick HIIT sessions are an efficient way to stay fit without needing any equipment. Challenges and races sound like fun too; having goals certainly helps with staying motivated!

When I need a quick workout, I like doing simple cardio exercises like jogging in place or jumping rope. No equipment needed, and it's a good way to get the heart pumping! I also like doing yoga stretches when I'm tight on time - it keeps me flexible and relaxed too.

I think exercising is much easier when it comes naturally through fun activities! It's a great way to bond with the family and keep everyone healthy too.

Having some alone time for exercise is also necessary, and it's a great de-stressor. I like how you plan your workouts around your kids' nap time - quick HIIT sessions are an efficient way to stay fit without needing any equipment. Challenges and races sound like fun too; having goals certainly helps with staying motivated!

When I need a quick workout, I like doing simple cardio exercises like jogging in place or jumping rope. No equipment needed, and it's a good way to get the heart pumping! I also like doing yoga stretches when I'm tight on time - it keeps me flexible and relaxed too.
I agree that making exercise fun makes it so much easier to stay active. Having goals certainly helps, and achieving them is such a satisfying feeling!

Yoga is a great low-impact exercise that helps with flexibility and mindfulness - perfect for when we're short on time or want a relaxed workout. I also love how accessible cardio exercises like jogging in place and jumping rope are - they're simple, effective, and can be done anywhere without needing prior prep.

I'm gonna try out your HIIT recommendations too; they sound like good workouts to do with the whole family! Do you have any other family-friendly exercise activities that you've tried?

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
I agree that making exercise fun makes it so much easier to stay active. Having goals certainly helps, and achieving them is such a satisfying feeling!

Yoga is a great low-impact exercise that helps with flexibility and mindfulness - perfect for when we're short on time or want a relaxed workout. I also love how accessible cardio exercises like jogging in place and jumping rope are - they're simple, effective, and can be done anywhere without needing prior prep.

I'm gonna try out your HIIT recommendations too; they sound like good workouts to do with the whole family! Do you have any other family-friendly exercise activities that you've tried?
I love the idea of a family-wide obstacle course! The kids would definitely enjoy scaling those 'mountains' and traversing the 'river' haha. And yup, anything to get the blood pumping and keep things lighthearted is a win in my book! Keep those creative juices flowing, mamas!

Yeah, keeping it fun makes exercise an enjoyable bonding time with the family instead of a tedious chore. Lowkey, I also like hitting the gym to blow off steam, especially when my kids are asleep and daddy duty is done for the day. No distractions, just me and the weights!

When there's no time for the gym, I do short HIIT sessions at home with bodyweight moves like squats, lunges and planks - they're efficient and don't require any equipment so super convenient. Sometimes, I also throw in some shadow boxing just for the fun of it. And yeah, signing up for fitness challenges is a great way to stay motivated 'cause you gotta keep training for that goal!

Yep, getting the family involved is a great idea! Stroller strolls and obstacle courses sound like so much fun - a win-win to keep everyone active and bond as a family. Keeping it light and enjoyable is a great strategy, mums know best how to multi-task and include fitness into our busy schedules!

I think that's the key - making exercise fun so it doesn't feel like a burden! It's hard enough as it is to find time for workouts when you're a parent, so making them enjoyable goes a long way.

For me, finding an activity that everyone can do together is half the battle won. Getting the kids to join in means more quality time together too, which is always a plus! I try not to think of it as 'exercise' - that word somehow feels like a chore. Calling it 'playtime' or 'game time' makes it sound much more inviting and something to look forward to!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
I think it's a great idea to incorporate exercise into family time! It's like killing two birds with one stone - spending quality time with the kids and staying active!

With all the running around after the little ones, I find that doing some yoga or stretching during naptime helps me to stay flexible and relaxed. Sometimes, when the kids are engaged in some independent play, I sneak in a quick 15-minute workout - burpees, jumping jacks, or mountain climbers help to get the heart rate up real fast!

It's also motivating to join exercise groups with other mums. We take turns watching each other's kids and have fun working out together. When the kids see us exercising, they join in too, and it becomes a fun session for all!

Yeah, being a parent doesn't mean sacrificing fitness! That's the spirit!

I've got a couple of active kids myself, and honestly, most of the time, it's simply about keeping up with them haha. Like you, I make sure family time includes some good old physical activity - think runs in the park, cycling, even hiking when we have the time! And if the weather's not great outdoors, we've got our go-to indoor workouts like jumping rope, or as you said, epic dance battles right in the living room! Keeping it fun and engaging is really key.

The kids enjoy it, and truth be told, it's a pretty effective way to keep me on my toes too, especially since they're at that age where they're always challenging me anyway 😅 .

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu