• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Fitness & Wellness Healthy Active Mums

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your tips and tales of balancing motherly duties with fitness goals! Let's keep this an encouraging, judgement-free space to celebrate active mums! We can share workout regimes, advice on keeping motivated and keeping a healthy mindset, nutritious family meal ideas, etc.!

I'll begin! I try to get in a daily walk/jog, weather permitting - the fresh air does wonders for my mood and energy levels. I also have two young children, so I've had to be creative with quick, equipment-free exercises I can do at home when the kids are occupied or napping, like squats, lunges, and planks. Would love to hear everyone else's go-to at-home exercises!

Reactions: doctormama
That's a great initiative! Walking/jogging is a fantastic daily habit and a mood booster For at-home exercises, I focus on bodyweight workouts too when my kiddo is around and require minimal equipment. Some of my favorites include:

- Burpees - great for getting the heart rate up and only require a bit of floor space.

- Mountain Climbers - another cardio favorite that gets you breathless and can be done anywhere.

- Tricep Dips - using a couch or chair for support.

- 'Mermaid' moves - side planks, leg lifts, and Russian twists help target those mom-belly pooches and love handles!

I also keep a few resistance bands at home for some variety, which are great for targeting specific muscle groups.

Keeps things fun and simple! Would love to hear more tips on keeping motivated, especially with the cold weather coming in!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
I find that signing up for a race or setting a goal helps keep me motivated to stay active outdoors despite the weather. Having something to train for keeps me on track, and there's always the option of indoor running or jogging when it's too nasty out.

I also like to change up my at-home workouts with YouTube fitness videos - everything from yoga and pilates to cardio dance and aerobic routines. They keep things interesting and are often geared towards different fitness levels. You can tailor the intensity as needed and there's such a vast variety these days that you don't get bored doing the same thing!

I've also been getting into hiking with the little one in a carrier. It's a great way to explore and get some exercise while the kiddo enjoys being up close and personal with nature - it's amazing how tiring it can be, especially on hikes with lots of incline!

What other kinds of workouts are people doing to stay active?

That's a great tip about setting goals and having something to train for! Having a target helps keep me motivated too, especially if it's an event I've paid for 😉

I've also found some good apps with personalised workout plans, like 30 Day Fit Challenges for instance. They have themes like 'Bikini Body', 'Full Body Workout' or 'Post Pregnancy Slim Down' etc., and you can get reminders/alarms on your phone too which is handy.

I agree that mixing things up is the best way to stay interested, especially with young kids around. Short, sharp 15- minute workouts often end up being more realistic than longer ones anyway!

I've recently got into hiking too - it's amazing how much of a workout you can get while exploring some stunning views.

Targeted training with an event in mind is so motivating! Especially when there's a financial commitment - it's a great way to stay committed.

I love the sound of those themed 30-day challenges; I'll have to check them out! The reminders are a great feature, too - anything that helps keep us on track is a win in my book.

You're so right about keeping things interesting; especially as a busy mum, short sharp bursts are often all we can manage (and are usually enough to get a good endorphin hit!).

Hiking is a fantastic workout and such a great way to explore. I've recently started taking the kids on nature walks, which has been so much fun - and tiring! It's amazing how something that doesn't feel like 'exercise' can be such hard work (in a good way!)

Themed 30-day challenges with reminders are a fantastic way to stay on track and motivated! Short sharp bursts of exercise are effective and especially manageable for busy mums like us.

Nature walks are a great workout, an adventure, and a wonderful way to explore; it's amazing how exhausting yet fulfilling those adventures can be.

What kind of 30-day challenges have you done or would recommend? I'm always on the lookout for fun new ways to stay active!

I loved the 30-day plank and squats challenge. It's amazing how much easier it got after a few days - except on the days it absolutely poured and I had to do them inside!

I've also done a great 30-day running one which built up gradually over the month so by the end you could run continuously for 30 minutes. As someone who hates running, that was a real achievement!

Thinking of doing a stretching one next - any recommendations for an easy but effective routine? My body needs all the help it can get!

Well done on completing the 30-day challenges, especially the running one - that's a great achievement!

For an easy but effective stretching routine, you could try the couch stretch. It's simple and can be done anywhere, and it targets your hips, glutes and hamstrings - areas that tend to get tight from sitting down a lot.

You could also incorporate some yoga poses, like the cobra, cat-cow, downward dog and child's pose. These are gentle stretches that focus on different parts of the body and have lots of health benefits.

Both of these options are great because they're easy to fit into your daily routine. Give them a go and see how you get on!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and bookworm
Thanks for sharing! I've been trying to incorporate more stretching into my post-workout cool down and these sound like some great options, especially the couch stretch - I can definitely feel those areas getting tighter as the days go by! I'm also a fan of yoga so I'll have to give those poses a go too. Anything that's easy to fit into a daily routine is perfect for busy mums like us!

Thanks for sharing! I've been trying to incorporate more stretching into my post-workout cool down and these sound like some great options, especially the couch stretch - I can definitely feel those areas getting tighter as the days go by! I'm also a fan of yoga so I'll have to give those poses a go too. Anything that's easy to fit into a daily routine is perfect for busy mums like us!
some great low-maintenance exercises to help keep us active and stretched out! Does anyone have any nutritious and quick meal ideas to fuel our bodies?

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
Some easy meals that can work for busy mums include smoothies - they're fast, you can pack a lot of nutrition into them, and drinkable meals are convenient when on the go. Also, overnight oats are a great low-effort meal that you can prepare ahead of time. Salads are another one - especially good in summer. You can add some grilled chicken or fish and loads of veggies, and they're filling without leaving you sluggish.

For a quick energy fix and some nutritional goodness, I also like making my own trail mix with nuts, dried fruits, and dark chocolate chips. You can make a big batch and grab some handfuls throughout the week - great for when you need a pick-me-up or are running out the door.

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
Some easy meals that can work for busy mums include smoothies - they're fast, you can pack a lot of nutrition into them, and drinkable meals are convenient when on the go. Also, overnight oats are a great low-effort meal that you can prepare ahead of time. Salads are another one - especially good in summer. You can add some grilled chicken or fish and loads of veggies, and they're filling without leaving you sluggish.

For a quick energy fix and some nutritional goodness, I also like making my own trail mix with nuts, dried fruits, and dark chocolate chips. You can make a big batch and grab some handfuls throughout the week - great for when you need a pick-me-up or are running out the door.
I second your suggestions! Smoothies are a convenient way to get all the nutrients in a single drink, especially with the option to customisable based on your preference/availability of ingredients and also to cater to different tastes.

Overnight oats omited the preparation time and are so versatile with the different toppings/flavourings you can add. Likewise, salads are handy too and often a guilt-free delight, but I find it's easier to enjoy them when prepared ahead of time and kept ready in the fridge so that they're accessible and don't compromise your time spent with the family.

Healthy snacks are important too -- have you ladies tried roasted Chickpeas? It's a yummy and crunchy snack with lots of proteins and fibre!

What other delicious, nutritious meals do you prepare to keep yourself fueled?

I second your suggestions! Smoothies are a convenient way to get all the nutrients in a single drink, especially with the option to customisable based on your preference/availability of ingredients and also to cater to different tastes.

Overnight oats omited the preparation time and are so versatile with the different toppings/flavourings you can add. Likewise, salads are handy too and often a guilt-free delight, but I find it's easier to enjoy them when prepared ahead of time and kept ready in the fridge so that they're accessible and don't compromise your time spent with the family.

Healthy snacks are important too -- have you ladies tried roasted Chickpeas? It's a yummy and crunchy snack with lots of proteins and fibre!

What other delicious, nutritious meals do you prepare to keep yourself fueled?
Smoothies and overnight oats are definitely convenient go-tos! And I totally agree about preparing salads ahead of time; it makes them so much more manageable.

I've not tried roasted chickpeas but they sound like a great idea for a healthy, crunchy snack. I often make energy balls - little bitesize snacks with oats, nuts, cinnamon, and dates. They're yummy and you can keep them stocked in the fridge for when you need a quick bite.

I also love a good vegetable soup, especially after a big grocery shop. It's so versatile - throw in whatever veggies you bought that week - and it's an easy way to get some extra serves of veggies in. Sometimes I pureed it and added some cooked rice for a heartier meal.

What other foods fuel your active lifestyle?

I like to keep things exciting with various wraps, rolls, and bowls - they're quick and versatile!

I often make simple sushi rolls at home using leftover rice and whatever veggies I have on hand (avocado, cucumber, carrots, sweet potato, etc.), and some tofu or salmon if I have some. Wraps are also a go-to - wholegrain or wholemeal wraps filled with plenty of salad ingredients and some lean protein like chicken or beans make for a nutritious and easy meal that doesn't leave you full and sluggish.

I also love a good ol' stir fry, which is a great way to use up any odds and ends in the fridge. I'll often throw in some rice or noodles to bulk it out - these kinds of meals are usually my go-to after a workout when I'm extra hungry!

For snacks, I try to keep a variety of nuts, seeds, and dried fruits handy. They're so good for a quick energy boost without the guilt and I don't have to worry about them spoiling if I don't finish them right away.

What are your favourite foods to fuel your active lifestyle?

I like to keep things exciting with various wraps, rolls, and bowls - they're quick and versatile!

I often make simple sushi rolls at home using leftover rice and whatever veggies I have on hand (avocado, cucumber, carrots, sweet potato, etc.), and some tofu or salmon if I have some. Wraps are also a go-to - wholegrain or wholemeal wraps filled with plenty of salad ingredients and some lean protein like chicken or beans make for a nutritious and easy meal that doesn't leave you full and sluggish.

I also love a good ol' stir fry, which is a great way to use up any odds and ends in the fridge. I'll often throw in some rice or noodles to bulk it out - these kinds of meals are usually my go-to after a workout when I'm extra hungry!

For snacks, I try to keep a variety of nuts, seeds, and dried fruits handy. They're so good for a quick energy boost without the guilt and I don't have to worry about them spoiling if I don't finish them right away.

What are your favourite foods to fuel your active lifestyle?
You've got me craving some delicious and nutritious meals! My tummy is growling! 😋

I love the idea of homemade sushi rolls - it's a fun family activity too, getting everyone involved in the kitchen. Your version of stir fry sounds delicious with all the veggies and noodles; I'm sure the variety keeps things exciting and prevents food waste.

Nuts and seeds are a great healthier snack option - packed with proteins and healthy fats! I also like the occasional fruit smoothies or acai bowls topped with loads of fruits. They're quite filling and taste indulgent but are actually nutritious, so they're great when I'm craving something on the sweeter side.

I'm always up for some meal inspiration too; it's nice to switch things up! 😊

You've got me craving some delicious and nutritious meals! My tummy is growling! 😋

I love the idea of homemade sushi rolls - it's a fun family activity too, getting everyone involved in the kitchen. Your version of stir fry sounds delicious with all the veggies and noodles; I'm sure the variety keeps things exciting and prevents food waste.

Nuts and seeds are a great healthier snack option - packed with proteins and healthy fats! I also like the occasional fruit smoothies or acai bowls topped with loads of fruits. They're quite filling and taste indulgent but are actually nutritious, so they're great when I'm craving something on the sweeter side.

I'm always up for some meal inspiration too; it's nice to switch things up! 😊
Well, this thread has been chock-full of yummy ideas! Meal planning is half the battle in keeping healthy eating habits, so this has been a great source of inspiration.

Acai bowls are a fantastic healthier indulgence! And you're right; they're incredibly filling, which is a bonus. I'll sometimes blend some spinach into the smoothie base too for an extra nutritional kick without altering the taste too much.

I'm a big fan of batch cooking too, especially for meals that freeze well - soups and stews are perfect for this! It's nice to have a go-to meal ready in the freezer for those busy days.

What a delightful little virtual feast we've had! 🎉 Now back to the kitchen! 😋

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu