• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

# Fitness Routine Tips for Moms

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Creating a Flexible Fitness Routine as a Busy Mom

As a mom, finding time to work out can be challenging, but it's essential for maintaining physical and mental well-being. A flexible fitness routine allows you to prioritize your health while accommodating your busy schedule. Here are some tips to help you create a personalized workout plan:

1. Schedule it: Treat your workouts as non-negotiable appointments with yourself. Set aside a specific time each day or week that works for you.
2. Bodyweight exercises: Utilize bodyweight exercises that don't require any equipment, such as push-ups, squats, lunges, and planks. These can be done at home in between taking care of your kids.
3. Home workouts: Take advantage of online fitness classes and videos tailored for busy moms like you. Follow along with a fitness coach or personal trainer who'll guide you through effective and efficient routines.
4. Outdoor activities: Engage in outdoor games or sports that you enjoy, such as soccer, basketball, or swimming, with your kids joining in on the fun too!
5. Childcare swap: Connect with fellow moms or partners for childcare support. Take turns watching each other's kids while working out or running errands.
6. Prioritize self-care: Make time for activities that bring you relaxation and stress relief, such as yoga, meditation, or reading.
7. Consistency is key: Commit to your routine and strive for consistency, even if it means starting small.

By implementing these tips into your lifestyle, you'll be able to maintain a healthy fitness routine while being the amazing mom you are! What's worked best for you in finding time to work out?

Reactions: greenfingers
I have to disagree with tip #2, bodyweight exercises are great but sometimes it can get repetitive and boring. I wish there was more emphasis on finding workouts that you enjoy and make time for activities outside of exercise too like hobbies or learning something new.

As a busy mom myself, I've found that it's essential to incorporate activities that make time go by quickly when working out. For me, this has been running in the evenings while listening to my favorite podcast or audiobooks which makes the experience more enjoyable and gets me through those tough parts. However, finding time and making exercise sustainable is still a challenge for many moms like myself.

One thing I wish I learned earlier was the importance of taking breaks and listening to your body when exercising as a busy mom. For example, if you're someone who loves group fitness classes but finds it challenging to make them work with your family schedule, have an open conversation with the gym or studio about potential alternatives like virtual classes that can be incorporated into your lifestyle in some way.

The flexibility of finding new activities to enjoy and that fit into our lifestyles may make exercise a bit more enjoyable, allowing us to maintain consistency and even discover new passions along the way. What are some exercises you've tried as a busy mom?'.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on finding activities outside of exercise that make time go by quickly when working out! I actually used to think it was just about incorporating exercises you enjoy, but as a busy mom myself, I've found that taking breaks and listening to your body when exercising is crucial.

It's great that you mentioned running while listening to your favorite podcast or audiobooks - that sounds like a game-changer for me! I'm always on the lookout for ways to make my workouts more enjoyable. Have you ever tried combining different activities, like running and strength training, to keep things interesting? And what about incorporating your kids into your workouts? My kids love joining me in short runs or bike rides after school - it's a great way to spend quality time together while getting some exercise.

I completely agree with you on taking breaks and listening to your body when exercising! It's easy to get caught up in pushing ourselves too hard, especially as busy moms. But sometimes, it's just about finding a flow and enjoying the process.

Combining different activities like running and strength training is a great idea - I've found that it can actually help prevent plateaus and keep our workouts feeling more dynamic. It's all about mixing things up and keeping ourselves engaged!

And aw, that sounds so sweet that your kids are joining you in short runs or bike rides after school! That's such a wonderful way to spend quality time together while getting some exercise. I've tried incorporating my kids into my workouts too - we love doing yoga together on the weekends, and it's been great for strengthening our bond as well as improving our flexibility. How about using household chores as a form of exercise? Washing dishes or folding laundry can be a great way to get your workout in while still taking care of daily tasks. Do you have any favorite activities that make time go by quickly when working out, especially with kids in tow?

childfitness_hero.jpg

I love how you mentioned combining different activities like running and strength training to prevent plateaus and keep workouts feeling dynamic. Mixing things up is so essential, especially when we're busy moms.

I'm also smiling thinking about your kids joining you for short runs or bike rides after school - that's such a great way to spend quality time together while getting some exercise! In my house, we love doing yoga on the weekends, and it's been amazing for strengthening our bond as well as improving flexibility. I've noticed that when we're all working out together, it makes time go by quickly and creates wonderful memories.

That's so true about using household chores as a form of exercise too - washing dishes or folding laundry can be a great way to get your workout in while still taking care of daily tasks! One of my favorite activities to do with the kids is dancing - we put on some fun music and have a dance party together, which not only gets us moving but also creates a great atmosphere for singing and laughing. Have you ever tried incorporating dance into your workouts or found other fun ways to get your family involved?

Reactions: eternity
I've had similar experiences with dancing with my kids! We used to have dance parties after dinner, and it was a great way to get some energy out and just have fun together. I also loved how you mentioned using household chores as a form of exercise - that's so true!

One thing I'd like to add is finding ways to multitask while working out with the kids can be really helpful when time is limited. Like, we would fold laundry or run errands on our bike rides together - it felt more like quality time and less like exercising!

Reactions: stargazer
I love your tip about multitasking while working out with the kids! Folding laundry on bike rides is genius, by the way. It's all about finding ways to make exercise a part of our daily routine and not just something we have to fit in when we're feeling 'perfect'.

I completely agree with you, folding laundry on bike rides is a game-changer! It's amazing how easily multitasking can turn what would normally feel like two separate tasks into one manageable task.

This mindset has helped me incorporate more movement into my daily routine as well. I try to sneak in quick workouts during nap times or after the kids go to bed, using the time while they're occupied with screens or quiet activities. It might not be enough for a full workout, but even 20-30 minutes of some form of exercise is still beneficial!

Also, my husband's favorite way to multitask is doing yard work while getting some fresh air and taking a stroll around the neighborhood. The kids love joining in on the fun and helping us pick up sticks or pointing out pretty flowers – it makes for a lovely quality time experience!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu