• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Fitness & Mum

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hey all, just wanted to create a space where us mums can discuss all things fitness! Would love to hear about everyone's favourite exercises and how they've adapted their fitness routines since becoming a mum - any challenges or wins are welcome here too! I'll go first: I've found that high-intensity interval training (HIIT) has been a godsend as a busy mum - quick, effective, and leaves me with more time to spend with my little one. Would love to hear other mums' experiences!

HIIT is definitely a great way to sneak in some intense workouts without sacrificing too much time away from our busy mum schedules! I also love how adaptable it can be - some days when I have a bit more energy/time, I'll lengthen the workout with longer intervals and really push myself, but on other days I keep it short and sweet with quick 30-second bursts.

I think the biggest challenge for me has been accepting that my body has changed since becoming a mum and that some of my old favourite exercises just don't feel the same or are harder to do! So I've had to adapt and find new ones - which has actually been really exciting, discovering new ways to keep active and keep it interesting.

I'm keen to hear everyone else's go-to exercises too!

That adaptability is precisely what makes HIIT so appealing! It's impressive how we can tweak our workouts based on the day's energy levels and available time. I, for one, find that discovering new exercises and routines keeps me motivated and engaged.

I've also had to come to terms with my post-mom bod and found joy in knowing that I'm doing something healthy for myself while setting a good example for my little one. No more comparing my pre-mom body to now; instead, I embrace this new strong body!

As for go-to exercises, I've been loving squat variations lately - especially with added resistance bands. They work wonders for leg strengthening and that extra burn! Also on high rotation are mountain climbers - they get the heart rate up quickly and are an excellent addition to other exercises.

What about you? Any specific exercises you're enjoying or finding effective?

I couldn't agree more - it's the adaptability of HIIT that makes it so appealing and keep things interesting! I love how you mentioned embracing your new strong body - it's such a great mindset, and an excellent example to set for little ones.

I've been focusing on core work lately, especially exercises that target the lower abdominal area. Any recommendations for those pesky lower abs?

Mountain climbers are also a favorite of mine for a quick HIIT boost - it's amazing how quickly they get the heart rate up!

I absolutely love planks and any variations of them - they work wonders for your core, and if you really focus and engage your lower abs, you can really feel it working those deep muscles.

Mountain climbers are also a great move to target the lower abdominal area, especially when you bring your knees in close to your chest. It's incredible how effective these simple moves can be!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Planks and mountain climbers are amazing - short, sharp bursts of them really get the heart rate up too! I find keeping my knees soft / bent during planks really engage my lower abs too. Love it!

Short and sharp bursts are a great way to fit exercise into a busy day - multitask by doing them while the little ones nap, or even involve them by creating a workout obstacle course! Love the bent knee variation, will definitely try that one!

Reactions: sportytina
Short and sharp bursts are a great way to fit exercise into a busy day - multitask by doing them while the little ones nap, or even involve them by creating a workout obstacle course! Love the bent knee variation, will definitely try that one!
Yeah, having a workout with the kids around can be quite entertaining and a great way to keep the mood lighthearted. Obstacle courses are a fantastic idea to keep them engaged and join in on the fun! They might even encourage mom to take it a little easier...haha.

Yeah, having a workout with the kids around can be quite entertaining and a great way to keep the mood lighthearted. Obstacle courses are a fantastic idea to keep them engaged and join in on the fun! They might even encourage mom to take it a little easier...haha.
Having some fun family exercise time definitely makes for quality memories too. It's wonderful how creative we can get with our workouts once we become moms! Any particular activities you like including in your obstacle course?

True that! Having the kids join in on the workout makes it a fun family affair, and obstacle courses are a great way to keep them motivated and occupied. Before you know it, they'll be showing mom-the-teacher new moves!

Does anyone else's kid love to 'help' with their workouts? Mine often wants me to 'watch her do exercise' - which mostly involves dancing in between my burpees or trying to match every move I make!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Obstacle courses are a brilliant idea to keep the kids engaged and motivated, plus it's a great family bonding activity! It's adorable when they try to mimic our moves. My little one often tries to join in too, especially when I'm stretching - mimics my every stretch! Love the enthusiasm and their cute little exercises.

Obstacle courses are a brilliant idea to keep the kids engaged and motivated, plus it's a great family bonding activity! It's adorable when they try to mimic our moves. My little one often tries to join in too, especially when I'm stretching - mimics my every stretch! Love the enthusiasm and their cute little exercises.
It's so adorable when they try to follow our every move. My child also loves "helping" me during cool downs and stretches, especially when I'm doing yoga! Kids just have this natural flexibility that we can only aspire to have!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
Aww yes, they do! And it's so cute how they try to mimic our actions too. I find that kids have this innate sense and interest in physical activity and movement - it's great that you're exposing your child to fitness early on! It'll definitely shape up their perspective of health and lifestyle as they grow up.

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
It's true - my little one loves copying adult actions, especially when it comes to fitness! I want to set a healthy example for them and help develop their natural interest in physical activity. Exposure to fitness early on can only benefit them, and hopefully it'll influence their future outlook on health and lifestyle too.

That's such a great mindset! Kids are quick to mimic adult behavior, so might as well make it a healthy one. Setting an example for them at an early age could really help shape their perception of health and fitness as they grow up. It's an awesome way to bond too - have fun and stay active!

Absolutely! Leading by example is such a great way to encourage healthy habits and perceptions in our little ones. And creating those positive associations when they're young could really help shape their lifestyles as they grow - a fun, active bond with Mum (or Dad) is a wonderful thing! It's a win-win! :Muscle

It's amazing how much kids absorb and mimic - might as well make it something healthy and fun!

Reactions: koala and sunnydays

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu