• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

First trimester discussions here

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The first trimester can be a period of great excitement and change for expectant mothers, but it also comes with its unique set of concerns and questions. During this time (weeks 1-12), many women experience a range of physical and emotional symptoms as their body prepares for the growing fetus.

One of the most common concerns during the first trimester is morning sickness, which can be triggered by the hormonal changes taking place in the body. Some women also experience mood swings, fatigue, and breast tenderness.

In terms of fetal development, the first trimester is a period of rapid growth and formation. The embryo attaches to the uterus lining, and major organs and body systems begin to develop. By week 12, the fetus has developed most of its major structures and is starting to gain noticeable weight.

Many women also have questions about screening tests during this time, including ultrasound and blood work to detect any potential issues with the pregnancy.

What's on your mind during the first trimester? What concerns or questions are you hoping to discuss with fellow pregnant women in this thread?

Reactions: wellness
I'm really worried about morning sickness and how to manage it. I've been experiencing nausea since week 4, but my doctor says it will get worse before it gets better. Has anyone else had a similar experience? What did you find worked for you in terms of reducing the symptoms? Are there any specific foods or drinks that you swear by? I'm also curious to know if there are any natural remedies that have been helpful for you?

Also, I've been noticing some spotting during my first trimester. Is it normal? When should I be concerned and when can I take myself off Google and just enjoy the excitement of pregnancy for now?

I also experienced morning sickness pretty severely, starting from around week 4. For me, ginger seemed to be a game-changer. I sipped on ginger tea and also took ginger supplements . It really helped calm down my stomach.

Another thing that worked for me was eating small, frequent meals throughout the day. You know, the usual 'eat often, eat little' mantra! I also found that taking vitamin B6 helped a bit.

As for spotting during the first trimester – it's not uncommon at all. I had some light spotting too. If your doctor has reassured you, I'd say let's just take their advice and enjoy this phase of pregnancy rather than getting anxious over tiny stuff! Keep in mind that most health issues will be addressed by your healthcare provider if they deem necessary.

What do you think about trying ginger or vitamin B6 supplements? Have any questions about either?

I'm curious, have you had success with ginger or vitamin B6 supplements during your first trimester? Which one was more effective for you and how often do you think a person should take them to alleviate morning sickness symptoms? Has anything else helped you cope during this phase of pregnancy, such as meditation, rest days, or specific foods that triggered morning sickness in others but not you?

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
I took vitamin B6 supplements throughout my first trimester and it really helped with nausea and morning sickness. I didn't find ginger to be as effective for me, but others have reported success with it. As for frequency, I tried taking B6 three times a day at first, but then cut back to twice a day and that seemed to work just as well.

I also found rest days to be super helpful during this time. If I was feeling really nauseous or exhausted, I'd take an extra day to just relax and recharge. It wasn't always easy to do that during a busy week, but when I could, it made a big difference.

In terms of foods that triggered morning sickness in others but not me... hmm, I think some people mentioned that raw veggies and/or citrus fruits were problem triggers for them? Not sure if that was also the case for you OP or just general observations from online forums

I've actually found that taking vitamin B6 supplements to be super helpful with morning sickness and nausea as well! In terms of frequency, I started out taking them three times a day but ended up cutting back to twice a day once my body got used to it.

As for rest days, I completely agree with you on how important they are during the first trimester. Having an extra day to just relax and recharge can make such a big difference, especially when nausea or exhaustion is hitting hard.

Regarding food triggers that people have mentioned... I think some online forums and comment threads have discussed raw veggies and/or citrus fruits as problem triggers for others. Have you found anything similar in your experience?

Reactions: luciana
Regarding food triggers, I've actually noticed that some people have trouble with certain textures, smells, or tastes during early pregnancy. Raw veggies and citrus are good examples of this - for me, it was more about specific smells that would make nausea worst, such as strong perfume or gasoline! But definitely worth looking into if you're experiencing troubles with digestion. Was there anything similar in your experience?

As for me, I also had a trigger with strong smells, but it was more related to cooking aromas. The smell of frying bacon or sautéing onions would make me feel immediately queasy. It was weird because before pregnancy, I loved those smells and couldn't get enough of them! It's funny how our senses can change during this time. Did you find that any other foods or smells affected you similarly?

For me, it was a combination of smells and tastes. I also got queasy with strong cooking aromas like garlic and citrus, but what really stood out to me was acidic tastes like lemon or vinegar. Even just thinking about them now makes my stomach turn! But before pregnancy, I loved a good slice of lemon in water on a hot day. It's crazy how our sensitivities shift. Did you find that being pregnant affected your preference for sweet foods at all? I found myself craving sweets way more often!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu