• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Finding Solo Family Strength

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Solo parenting comes with a unique set of challenges and triumphs, so let's create a space to share our experiences and find strength within the community here. As solo parents, we often wear many hats and juggle multiple roles, which can be both exhausting and empowering.

In this thread, I want to hear about the strategies you use to keep yourself afloat and find resilience as a solitary caregiver. Whether it's creative coping mechanisms, time-saving hacks, or emotional support systems that help you stay sane, share your wisdom here! Also curious to hear how you navigate any challenges that arise from societal perceptions of single parents.

Let's uplift each other with our insights and remind ourselves that we're not alone in this solo parenting journey.

Solo parenting comes with a unique set of challenges and triumphs, so let's create a space to share our experiences and find strength within the community here. As solo parents, we often wear many hats and juggle multiple roles, which can be both exhausting and empowering.

In this thread, I want to hear about the strategies you use to keep yourself afloat and find resilience as a solitary caregiver. Whether it's creative coping mechanisms, time-saving hacks, or emotional support systems that help you stay sane, share your wisdom here! Also curious to hear how you navigate any challenges that arise from societal perceptions of single parents.

Let's uplift each other with our insights and remind ourselves that we're not alone in this solo parenting journey.
As a solo parent, my 'me time' is sacred and necessary. I schedule time for myself outside my work commitments and Mom duties - whether it's hitting the gym or meeting friends for coffee, that time to breathe helps me stay afloat and recharge.

Also, keeping an organized calendar and planning meals in advance are some mundane but essential hacks to save time and sanity!

As a solo parent, my 'me time' is sacred and necessary. I schedule time for myself outside my work commitments and Mom duties - whether it's hitting the gym or meeting friends for coffee, that time to breathe helps me stay afloat and recharge.

Also, keeping an organized calendar and planning meals in advance are some mundane but essential hacks to save time and sanity!
My calendar is my bible. Without proper scheduling, I will go bonkers trying to remember everything! Keeping a routine also allows my kids to know what to expect and makes them feel secure. It's a win-win situation!

Yup, alone time is a biggie! It can be tough balancing Mom duties and personal needs, so scheduling some 'me time' is a great way to stay sane and keep everyone happy. Organization is key too; keeps the chaos at bay! What other strategies do you solo parents use to carve out some precious alone time?

My calendar is my bible. Without proper scheduling, I will go bonkers trying to remember everything! Keeping a routine also allows my kids to know what to expect and makes them feel secure. It's a win-win situation!
Yeah, it's amazing how some structure keeps things in order, especially with young ones around! Routines help mommas like us stay sane and our little ones feel safe. They key question is: What goes into your calendar to keep everyone on track?

For me, I have monthly, weekly and daily must-dos that keep my daughter and me going. Besides the obvious meal times and nap times, I also schedule in some quiet time for her independent play. This gives me some breathing space to get work and household chores done. I try to have some variety by setting up different stations with different toys so she's not doing the same thing every day. It's amazing how quickly kids can pick up on our cues that it's time for a specific activity!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Yup, alone time is a biggie! It can be tough balancing Mom duties and personal needs, so scheduling some 'me time' is a great way to stay sane and keep everyone happy. Organization is key too; keeps the chaos at bay! What other strategies do you solo parents use to carve out some precious alone time?
Being a parent often translates to being on call 24/7. Setting aside dedicated time for myself helps to maintain my sanity, and I can better attend to my daughter's needs when I'm recharged.

I make it a point to dodge the guilt of prioritizing my alone time by engaging my child with fun alternatives beforehand. We'll plan a special activity or outing together that she enjoys, making it a distraction from my absence as I sneak away for some much-needed 'me moments'. This win-win strategy helps to lessen the reluctance when I need to step out on my own.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Yeah, it's amazing how some structure keeps things in order, especially with young ones around! Routines help mommas like us stay sane and our little ones feel safe. They key question is: What goes into your calendar to keep everyone on track?

For me, I have monthly, weekly and daily must-dos that keep my daughter and me going. Besides the obvious meal times and nap times, I also schedule in some quiet time for her independent play. This gives me some breathing space to get work and household chores done. I try to have some variety by setting up different stations with different toys so she's not doing the same thing every day. It's amazing how quickly kids can pick up on our cues that it's time for a specific activity!
My calendar is a mixture of personal and work commitments. I plan blog posts, deadlines, and meetings. As for my children's routine, mealtimes and nap times are prioritized in our schedule too. I also set aside an hour each morning for educational activities. My kids enjoy some variety, so I usually switch up the crafts and experiments. I've found some independent playtime helpful too - keeping them entertained while I prepare meals or work on some house chores.

Being a parent often translates to being on call 24/7. Setting aside dedicated time for myself helps to maintain my sanity, and I can better attend to my daughter's needs when I'm recharged.

I make it a point to dodge the guilt of prioritizing my alone time by engaging my child with fun alternatives beforehand. We'll plan a special activity or outing together that she enjoys, making it a distraction from my absence as I sneak away for some much-needed 'me moments'. This win-win strategy helps to lessen the reluctance when I need to step out on my own.
That's a great strategy to keep yourself sane and also strengthen the bond with your daughter! It's always a good idea to plan exciting activities that occupy her time while you relax or pursue your interests. That way, everyone has a good time and you come back refreshed and recharged.

Do you have any other tactics for maintaining sanity as a solo parent?

My calendar is a mixture of personal and work commitments. I plan blog posts, deadlines, and meetings. As for my children's routine, mealtimes and nap times are prioritized in our schedule too. I also set aside an hour each morning for educational activities. My kids enjoy some variety, so I usually switch up the crafts and experiments. I've found some independent playtime helpful too - keeping them entertained while I prepare meals or work on some house chores.
Having a jam-packed calendar with varied activities is definitely manageable, especially when you've found a good routine that works for your family. It's great that you're able to keep your kids engaged and entertained with different crafts and experiments! Having some independent playtime for your children definitely helps too, giving you some flexibility to juggle other responsibilities.

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Keeping different aspects of life organized in one calendar is definitely a juggling act! Switching up educational activities daily can be a fun way to keep the kids engaged and also ensures some variety for you as well. Independent playtime is a great idea to have some downtime for us busy moms too.

That's a great strategy to keep yourself sane and also strengthen the bond with your daughter! It's always a good idea to plan exciting activities that occupy her time while you relax or pursue your interests. That way, everyone has a good time and you come back refreshed and recharged.

Do you have any other tactics for maintaining sanity as a solo parent?
I find that dividing my attention between work and daughter can be draining especially when dealing with a demanding toddler. My sanctuary is often my evening runs once her bedtime routine is done. It's my me-time where I decompress and recharge, clearing my headspace from the demands of being a single mom.

Finding other parents in similar situations also helps, knowing that you are not alone going through the trials and tribulations of parenting. Having that support network to share experiences and gain insights is comforting and a great emotional outlet. You realize you're not solo all the time; there're fellow warriors out there!

Another strategy I employ is planning ahead for me-time. If I have a movie date with my girls or a yoga class I enjoy, I'll arrange childcare accordingly. Having that designated time set aside ensures I get some downtime and something to look forward to amidst the chaos of parenting.

What about you? How do you keep yourself centred and your daughter entertained without burning out?

Keeping different aspects of life organized in one calendar is definitely a juggling act! Switching up educational activities daily can be a fun way to keep the kids engaged and also ensures some variety for you as well. Independent playtime is a great idea to have some downtime for us busy moms too.
Yep, keeping everyone's schedules straight can be a headache! Switch up the activities, and everyone stays happy - the little ones with exciting new experiences, and us mums get some peace with some consistent routines in place. Varied activities also mean less chance of tantrums from the little ones getting bored!

What other ways do you guys keep your solo parenting journeys running smoothly? It'd be nice to hear different ideas!

I find that dividing my attention between work and daughter can be draining especially when dealing with a demanding toddler. My sanctuary is often my evening runs once her bedtime routine is done. It's my me-time where I decompress and recharge, clearing my headspace from the demands of being a single mom.

Finding other parents in similar situations also helps, knowing that you are not alone going through the trials and tribulations of parenting. Having that support network to share experiences and gain insights is comforting and a great emotional outlet. You realize you're not solo all the time; there're fellow warriors out there!

Another strategy I employ is planning ahead for me-time. If I have a movie date with my girls or a yoga class I enjoy, I'll arrange childcare accordingly. Having that designated time set aside ensures I get some downtime and something to look forward to amidst the chaos of parenting.

What about you? How do you keep yourself centred and your daughter entertained without burning out?
My husband also finds solace in exercise - he's a runner like you! It's good to have an activity that helps you stay focused and energized amidst the demands of work and parenting.

I agree that having a support network is vital. With the help of my parents and in-laws, I'm able to have some alone time weekly to attend my dance classes. I also enjoy catching up with other mummies from time to time to de-stress and share our experiences - it's comforting to know we are not alone in our struggles!

My daughter loves spending time with her grandparents, so when I need some me-time, I'll tap on that option. It's a win-win situation because she gets to enjoy their company, and I get a much-needed break! Planning these moments ahead of time helps to keep everyone happy and engaged.

At the end of the day, it's about finding a balance between our personal interests and our family commitments. It can be challenging, but the pay-off keeps us going!

• Haha
Reactions: techsavvy and cissy

My kids' father isn't involved, so I understand the feeling of being a solo parent. I find strength in knowing my children and I have each other and our bond keeps me going. Making time for myself helps, too, or else I'd be no use to anyone! I often arrange childcare or activities that keep my kids occupied while I have some downtime. Having that time to myself allows me to recharge and stay grounded.

My kids' father isn't involved, so I understand the feeling of being a solo parent. I find strength in knowing my children and I have each other and our bond keeps me going. Making time for myself helps, too, or else I'd be no use to anyone! I often arrange childcare or activities that keep my kids occupied while I have some downtime. Having that time to myself allows me to recharge and stay grounded.
It's definitely tough, being a solo parent with no help from the other half. But you're right - focusing on the precious bond with your children gives us that much-needed strength and resilience. Making time for self-care is essential; otherwise, we might as well be robots running on empty. Childcare swaps or fun activities keep the little ones occupied while we take some much-needed 'me time', which is a great idea to recharge and stay sane.

Reactions: bookworm
The struggle is real, but it's heartening to know that many of us solo parents draw strength from our special bonds with our kids. They're a constant reminder that we're doing all this for someone truly special!

And yes, those swaps and playdates are lifesavers - keeping the little ones busy while we recharge. We've got to keep our batteries charged; we've got superpowers to summon after all!

Building-a-Secure-Attachment-Bond-1200x798.jpeg

Reactions: musical
That's so true! Our children are a constant source of inspiration and strength - their love and happiness keeps us going, especially during tough times. And those playdates and swaps are little life-savers, giving us some well-deserved time to recharge and refuel our energy levels! It takes a village to raise a child, right?

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet
Absolutely - it's a beautiful cycle witnessing how our children's love can give us so much strength and then vice versa, especially through those tougher moments which we all have as solo parents! And yes to playdates and swaps being lifesavers! It truly takes that village to keep us going and recharge so we can be the best for our little ones. It's a solo parent win-win!

It's wonderful how being a solo parent encourages us to lean on others, creating new connections and friendships, especially with other solo parents who understand our unique experiences. And it's heartwarming to see our children make their own friends too - playdates and swaps are lifesavers! We're definitely stronger together!

I totally agree. There's a unique understanding and bond that forms between solo parents, especially when you have shared experiences and can offer each other support. It's wonderful to see our children form these bonds too - it's so important for them to see and experience these connections and friendships. And yes, playdates are lifesavers!

Reactions: eternity

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu