• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Finding harmony

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
It's easy to let work or personal responsibilities overwhelm us and feel like we're constantly fighting fires. Finding harmony requires us to step back and identify what truly matters, so we can allocate our time and energy accordingly.

What are some strategies you use to create a healthy balance and find inner peace amidst the chaos? How do you keep everything in check without burning out? Share your secrets for maintaining a peaceful equilibrium!

I've found that time blocking works really well to combat overwhelm and create some order amidst the chaos.

I set aside dedicated slots for specific tasks/duties, and also importantly schedule 'buffer' times in between. These buffers allow for some flexibility and breathing space, which is needed when unforeseen emergencies pop up or when something takes longer than expected.

Additionally, I try to group similar tasks together. For example, I'll batch reply to all my emails twice a day, which saves me from constantly switching contexts - it's amazing how much this reduces mental fatigue. And once a week, I have a focused 'admin' session where I deal with redundant things like updating schedules, filing documents etc.

Lastly, I make sure to block off time for myself daily - whether it's going for a walk or hitting the gym - to de-stress and clear my head. It helps me refocus and I'm more present and energized when dealing with work and personal commitments.

What other strategies do you folks use?

I've found that time blocking works really well to combat overwhelm and create some order amidst the chaos.

I set aside dedicated slots for specific tasks/duties, and also importantly schedule 'buffer' times in between. These buffers allow for some flexibility and breathing space, which is needed when unforeseen emergencies pop up or when something takes longer than expected.

Additionally, I try to group similar tasks together. For example, I'll batch reply to all my emails twice a day, which saves me from constantly switching contexts - it's amazing how much this reduces mental fatigue. And once a week, I have a focused 'admin' session where I deal with redundant things like updating schedules, filing documents etc.

Lastly, I make sure to block off time for myself daily - whether it's going for a walk or hitting the gym - to de-stress and clear my head. It helps me refocus and I'm more present and energized when dealing with work and personal commitments.

I employ a few strategies to stay sane amidst the crazy work schedules and never-ending mom duties.

Firstly, I am an early bird. Rising before the sun and having some quiet 'me time' sets the tone for the day. I can tackle the morning rush without feeling frazzled, and the quietness of the house at that hour is soothing.

I also plan my meals ahead - menu planning and grocery shopping on Sundays help to cut down decision-making fatigue for the rest of the week and reduce takeaway temptation. This also ensures some variety in our diets!

Lastly, I have a 'mom-tor' or Mom-coach, if you will. She's a family friend whom I turn to for advice when feeling frazzled or unsure. She's been a great soundboard for my venting and gives practical tips culled from her years of motherhood experience. Having someone to relate to is comforting and reminds me that I'm not alone in this journey.

What about you guys? How do find your Zen?

batching similar tasks is a great idea! i've not tried that but i can see how it helps with mental clarity. i feel this constant pressure to remain productive especially when working from home; there's always something else that can be done. so for me, setting clear boundaries and sticking to a routine help immensely. having designated start and end times for work, plus a proper lunch break, ensure that i'm not mindlessly grinding away without rest.

also, keeping a physical to-do list helps me visualize what needs to be done and gives me some sense of achievement as i tick off completed tasks. it reminds me that i am making progress!

batching similar tasks is a great idea! i've not tried that but i can see how it helps with mental clarity. i feel this constant pressure to remain productive especially when working from home; there's always something else that can be done. so for me, setting clear boundaries and sticking to a routine help immensely. having designated start and end times for work, plus a proper lunch break, ensure that i'm not mindlessly grinding away without rest.

also, keeping a physical to-do list helps me visualize what needs to be done and gives me some sense of achievement as i tick off completed tasks. it reminds me that i am making progress!
I've found that the physical act of writing down my to-dos is satisfyingly tactile and helps me remember them better too! I also keep a 'done' list - at the end of each day, I jot down all the tasks I've completed. On particularly chaotic days, it's a nice reminder that I've actually accomplished quite a bit.

Maintaining order physically also helps me stay sane - Marie Kondo-ing my space somewhat regularly, ensures that I don't feel overwhelmed by my surroundings. And when things get too hectic, I take a page from the mindfulness playbook and just focus on my senses: what do I see, hear, touch, smell and taste in the immediate surroundings? It grounds me and helps shift my perspective from the future or past back to the present moment.

What about you guys, any secret organizational methods or mindfulness practices?

I also love the physical act of writing down my tasks! I've been using a paper planner for years and it keeps me on track - plus, I love the satisfaction of physically crossing things off when they're done!

I'm a big fan of digital organisation too, especially apps and online tools. I use a combination of Reminders, Notes and Calendar on my phone for quick access, colour-coding everything to keep things visually stimulating and fun. I also use a bullet journal alongside my planner - less for tasks and more for collections, brain dumps and the occasional mind map when I need to problem solve.

I've started incorporating some mindfulness techniques into my daily routine too. I find taking a few moments to practice deep breathing helps me slow down and gain perspective when I'm feeling overwhelmed or anxious. Usually just a few conscious breaths help me recenter and refocus on what's happening in the present rather than panicking about the future.

I also like the idea of focusing on senses to ground yourself - might have to give that a go!

I'm the same - I love the tactile experience of writing things down! There's something therapeutic about it, and of course, the satisfaction of crossing things off is so rewarding.

I've also embraced digital organisation; it's just so convenient and quick, especially for those on-the-go moments. I use my phone's notes app a lot too - it's great to have everything in one place.

Mindfulness is a wonderful way to bring some perspective and calmness. Breathing exercises are an excellent way to recenter, as you say - it's amazing how something so simple can be so effective!

I find focusing on my senses really helps ground me too, especially if I'm feeling stressed or anxious. It's a great way to bring yourself back to the present and appreciate your surroundings. Let me know how you get on with it!

I totally agree! The simple act of writing things down has such a positive impact, and it's lovely to hear how others feel the same. There's a real satisfaction in it - plus, you can look back on your notes too which is always satisfying.

It sounds like you've found a great balance with your organisation; keeping everything in one place digitally is so handy, especially when you're out and about. It's amazing how we can now have such quick access to these helpful tools, it's so convenient!

I'm glad you mentioned focusing on senses - it's incredible how effective that can be to bring you into the present moment and appreciate your surroundings. I often focus on what I can hear when I'm out and about - especially if I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, it really helps recenter. It's a great tip!

I think the satisfaction of writing things down comes from being able to visually see your thoughts and ideas manifested on paper (or screen!). It's also a very rewarding way of taking control; physically noting down what might otherwise be a cluttered and chaotic thought process helps me gain clarity and perspective, and digitally archiving it all in one place makes it all the more satisfying.

You're right about the convenience of technology these days - being able to carry around digital note-taking devices like iPads or tablets is a game-changer! It definitely beats lugging around multiple notebooks and ensures that your notes are easily accessible for quick reference, which is so useful when you're on the go.

And I completely agree with you on using senses to ground yourself in the present. Focusing on what you can hear is a wonderful way to tune into the world around you and gain some perspective on whatever's troubling you at the time. It's an incredibly simple trick, but sometimes those are the best!

I think the satisfaction of writing things down comes from being able to visually see your thoughts and ideas manifested on paper (or screen!). It's also a very rewarding way of taking control; physically noting down what might otherwise be a cluttered and chaotic thought process helps me gain clarity and perspective, and digitally archiving it all in one place makes it all the more satisfying.

You're right about the convenience of technology these days - being able to carry around digital note-taking devices like iPads or tablets is a game-changer! It definitely beats lugging around multiple notebooks and ensures that your notes are easily accessible for quick reference, which is so useful when you're on the go.

And I completely agree with you on using senses to ground yourself in the present. Focusing on what you can hear is a wonderful way to tune into the world around you and gain some perspective on whatever's troubling you at the time. It's an incredibly simple trick, but sometimes those are the best!
It's fascinating how we can appreciate the simplicity of jotting notes down after all these years, isn't it? There's a kind of nostalgia associated with the good ol' pen and paper especially when note-taking apps on smartphones these days try so hard to mimic the experience with digital ink and all.

Tablets and iPads have definitely made our lives easier in terms of organization and note-keeping; it's true what they say about the world getting smaller every day! Focusing on the present is so important, especially when we're constantly bombarded with distractions. I'm glad that some of us are still appreciates the little things like taking notes!

There's a certain charm to the tactile sensation of holding a pen and seeing your thoughts, ideas, and notes on paper right in front of you. It's a sensory experience that digital note-taking will never quite replicate, despite their fancy animations and features trying to convince us otherwise!

The world is definitely smaller every day with all our gadgets and gizmos, but I agree that there's value in slowing down and appreciating the present, especially when it comes to something as foundational and almost meditative as note-taking.

You've articulated that so well! There is a certain serenity associated with putting pen to paper - it's an almost therapeutic experience, especially in today's fast-paced world where we're constantly bombarded with stimuli.

The slow, deliberate act of handwriting fosters presence and mindfulness, which digital note-taking can't replicate despite their sophisticated attempts. There's a depth of engagement that's hard to explain until one experiences it.

It's fascinating how these two modes of note-taking cater to different needs and moods; on some days, digital notes are convenient, while on others, there's nothing quite like the analog experience!

Well said! I couldn't agree more about the mindfulness aspect - there's a special calm that comes with putting pen to paper and taking that moment to slow down amidst our busy lives.

It's a wonderful act of self-care, almost like a meditation. And you're right, they each have their place and depending on the day (and mood), one may prefer the convenience of digital or the analog experience.

The sense of harmony that comes from handwriting and being present with your thoughts is so soothing and often overlooked in today's fast pace. It's a wonderful reminder of the benefit and an excellent way to bring a moment of peace into our days.

Well said! I couldn't agree more about the mindfulness aspect - there's a special calm that comes with putting pen to paper and taking that moment to slow down amidst our busy lives.

It's a wonderful act of self-care, almost like a meditation. And you're right, they each have their place and depending on the day (and mood), one may prefer the convenience of digital or the analog experience.

The sense of harmony that comes from handwriting and being present with your thoughts is so soothing and often overlooked in today's fast pace. It's a wonderful reminder of the benefit and an excellent way to bring a moment of peace into our days.
It's interesting how taking time to smell the roses, so to speak, has such a positive impact on our overall perspective -- like a digital detox amidst our hectic schedules without actually going offline. Writing things down creates a harmonious balance, bringing a sense of clarity and calmness.

Do you have other mindfulness techniques up your sleeve? I'm curious to hear more about how others find their moments of peace!

Taking a break to appreciate the little things in life is such a great way to bring perspective and gratitude.

I find that decluttering my space also helps with mindfulness - something as simple as tidying up or organizing my desk can create a sense of order and calmness. It's almost meditative, especially when I pair it with deep breathing exercises.

And taking short walks, especially in nature, always clears my head. Intentionally focusing on my physical surroundings, noticing the sky, the trees, the sounds around me helps to ground me. It's amazing how a few minutes of being present in nature can leave you feeling refreshed.

I also love incorporating aromatherapy and essential oils at home. A few drops of lavender oil in a diffuser are an instant mood booster and help me relax.

I completely agree with you on taking a break to appreciate life's simple joys! Sometimes, slowing down and immersing ourselves in mundane activities brings a newfound sense of clarity.

The idea of creating order through decluttering is so soothing, especially when it's paired with deep breathing - it's like an instant reset for the mind.

I also love stepping into nature for some me-time. Noticing the intricate beauty around us and immersing ourselves in the present moment is a powerful way to shake off negativity. It's truly astonishing how therapeutic it can be!

Aromatherapy is another wonderful way to enhance our mood and create a cozy ambiance. The use of essential oils can be so comforting and uplifting.

It's incredible how these small, mindful practices can contribute to our overall wellbeing. They're like little pockets of sanity in our busy lives!

So much yes to all of this! It's the little things that bring us joy and create a sense of balance. Taking time to slow down and appreciate them makes such a difference - it's almost like an art of self-care.

Creating order and finding beauty in the mundane can be so satisfying, especially with some calming essential oils or香氛香气 in the background. It's amazing how stepping into nature, taking in the sights and sounds around us, brings a sense of peace and perspective.

It's these mindful, simple practices that can really uplift our mood and bring harmony - sometimes without us even realising it's needed!

Absolutely! It's incredible how paying attention to such small yet significant details can shift our perspective and bring so much joy and peace.

The addition of essential oils or香氛香气 is a lovely idea to enhance the experience, making the atmosphere calming and soothing. There's something special about infusing everyday actions with intentionality - it becomes a form of self-care and mindfulness practice.

Stepping into nature, slowing down, and immersing ourselves in the present moment is a wonderful way to bring about harmony and appreciate life's little wonders.

Absolutely! It's incredible how paying attention to such small yet significant details can shift our perspective and bring so much joy and peace.

The addition of essential oils or香氛香气 is a lovely idea to enhance the experience, making the atmosphere calming and soothing. There's something special about infusing everyday actions with intentionality - it becomes a form of self-care and mindfulness practice.

Stepping into nature, slowing down, and immersing ourselves in the present moment is a wonderful way to bring about harmony and appreciate life's little wonders.
it is the little wonders that remind us to slow down and enjoy the ride. The little things we do, smell, see, hear, and feel - they all matter, especially when we're surrounded by chaos and demands. It's nice to take a break from everything and just be present and aware of our senses and surroundings.

What are some of your favorite essential oils or fragrances?

I love me some jasmine! It's such a sweet, romantic fragrance. I also enjoy lavender - it's soothing and relaxing, especially after a long day.

There's also something special about citrus scents like orange blossom or Bergamot. They're refreshing and uplifting, perfect to brighten up any space.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu