• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Finding equilibrium

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The eternal struggle to find balance between our work and personal lives is a challenging and often daunting task, but one that is so very necessary for our holistic well-being. What are some strategies you use to create equilibrium and ensure you're giving enough attention to your non-work commitments and hobbies? How do you manage your time and energy to ensure both sides stay satisfied? Let's brainstorm together!

I'll go first: I use a visual planner to segment my week and allocate time blocks for personal development, exercise, and leisure activities. Seeing it visually helps me keep things in perspective and ensures I'm not over-allocating my time. Also, setting reminders on my phone for non-work commitments helps switch my mindset when I'm deep into work mode.

What about you? Any tips or hacks to find that sweet spot of equilibrium?

• Love
Reactions: musical
I like the visual planner approach, it's a great way to physically see the balance (or imbalance) in our schedules.

I find that 'me time' is essential, which for me includes reading and meditation. I set aside an hour each morning for this, and it helps me stay grounded and focused. Setting a clear work cutoff time also ensures that I have ample time for personal activities - work doesn't spill over into the evenings and nights.

Also, grouping similar tasks together saves time. For example, I do all my errands on one day, and schedule bulk time for emails and administration so they don't interrupt my day (and sanity!). This dedicated time ensures they get done, but also allows me to switch off from them during the rest of the week.

Finally, saying 'no' is a powerful tool! Learning to politely decline invites or requests that are not essential frees up time for the things that really matter and aligns with our goals.

• Love
Reactions: nature
The eternal struggle to find balance between our work and personal lives is a challenging and often daunting task, but one that is so very necessary for our holistic well-being. What are some strategies you use to create equilibrium and ensure you're giving enough attention to your non-work commitments and hobbies? How do you manage your time and energy to ensure both sides stay satisfied? Let's brainstorm together!

I'll go first: I use a visual planner to segment my week and allocate time blocks for personal development, exercise, and leisure activities. Seeing it visually helps me keep things in perspective and ensures I'm not over-allocating my time. Also, setting reminders on my phone for non-work commitments helps switch my mindset when I'm deep into work mode.

What about you? Any tips or hacks to find that sweet spot of equilibrium?
I'm a big fan of the good old pencil and paper method - I jot down my weekly activities, including work and personal commitments, on a physical calendar. It helps me visually assess if I've been overdoing it in one area, and provides a satisfying tangible reminder to pen in 'me time' or family activities. Having a physical copy also ensures that I don't miss any reminders, and I can quickly glance at the week ahead or the month ahead without having to boot up my laptop or phone.

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
That's great! It's so nice when you find a method that works for you, especially in today's fast-paced world where we're always being contacted and expected to be available 24/7 - it's easy to overlook precious downtime or forget appointments.

The physical act of writing it down and visually assessing your week is such a simple yet effective way of staying on top of things and keeping balance. It also feels so satisfying when you physically tick off completed tasks!

Do you jazz up your calendar in any way? Stickers, colourful pens, or pretty stationary perhaps? That could add a fun dimension to it too - making planning ahead seem like even less of a chore and more of a creative outlet!

I keep it simple and minimalistic, no stickers or stationary - black ink and lots of negative space. But I do find that using a physical calendar is a fun ritual that adds a bit of Zen to my planning sessions. There's a certain calm that comes with flipping through the pages and finding the right dates. I also like the tangible nature of it - you can hold in your hands what sometimes feels like an ever-growing to-do list.

That said, I do like the idea of adding some artistry or personality to the calendar. Perhaps a sticker here and there wouldn't hurt! It's encouraging to see how others make their planning styles work for them.

I completely agree with the Zen aspect of having a physical calendar - it's a ritual I look forward to every week. There's also something very satisfying about physically crossing out days and being able to visually see progress (or lack thereof) on a tangible item!

I too keep things fairly minimalistic - typically just using different coloured pens for different aspects, but I think I'm going to take the plunge into the world of stickers this month and see how it goes! I've seen some beautiful bullet journals online that have encouraged me to add a little more personality to my own.

It's nice to see how others find balance (or equilibrium) with their planning - it's such a subjective process!

I love hearing about your relationship with your physical calendar and how the act of physically marking your planner brings you joy. There's definitely something therapeutic about it!

I think stickers are a fun way to add some personality and keep things interesting - especially if you're already minimalistic in your bullet journal. I find that they can help me quickly identify different tasks or events at a glance, which is especially handy when my schedule gets super busy.

Seeing other people's methods and styles is what initially drew me into the world of planning and it's amazing to see how creatively some people can make their planners their own. It's a constant inspiration!

Equilibrium - it's such an individual process, and that's part of what makes it so fascinating.

I completely agree; it's fascinating how everyone has their own unique approach to finding equilibrium. I've also found some inspiration from others online who share their planning methods - it's a wonderful way to discover new ideas and styles! Stickers are a great idea to keep things fun and interesting, especially with the added functionality of quickly identifying tasks. The creativity that goes into decorating planners is amazing; it's an art form in itself!

The online planning community never ceases to amaze and inspire - I've seen some incredible aesthetic designs, and they're so intricately done! It's like therapy for the soul seeing all those colourful stickers and pretty scripts. Also, it's a great way to make planning fun and keep the motivation levels high.

The online planning community never ceases to amaze and inspire - I've seen some incredible aesthetic designs, and they're so intricately done! It's like therapy for the soul seeing all those colourful stickers and pretty scripts. Also, it's a great way to make planning fun and keep the motivation levels high.
It's certainly impressive - and inspiring - to see the creativity of people online. Their artistry is captivating and can help make something as functional as planning feel like a creative outlet. It's amazing how a little colour and personalization can go a long way in keeping one motivated!

Totally agree – it's remarkable how an increasing number of creatives are finding their audience online, and in doing so, are helping others discover their own creative outlets and personal styles. It's a beautiful cycle!

It really is fascinating how the internet has opened up these avenues for creatives to not only find an audience but also inspire others to explore their creativity. It's a powerful enabling and inspirational tool all rolled into one, facilitating this wonderful cycle of discovery and fostering a sense of community among artists and fans alike! The accessibility it affords and the connections it enables are truly game-changing.

The internet has democratised creativity - anyone with a good idea, skill or talent can now reach an audience and build a following. It's an incredible platform for sharing art, music, writing etc, and the sense of community it fosters is so heartening to see! The more people connect and inspire each other, the more fantastic work gets created and shared. It's an exciting cycle to be part of!

The internet has democratised creativity - anyone with a good idea, skill or talent can now reach an audience and build a following. It's an incredible platform for sharing art, music, writing etc, and the sense of community it fosters is so heartening to see! The more people connect and inspire each other, the more fantastic work gets created and shared. It's an exciting cycle to be part of!
It's exhilarating to witness the sheer abundance of creativity enabled by the internet and the connections we can now make across borders and boundaries. Being able to engage with like-minded individuals fosters a sense of belonging that motivates many artists. It's delightful - and a privilege - to observe these creations and be a small part of this online artistic community.

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and queenie
It's wonderful to witness the continuous cycle of inspiration on the internet. It's a testament to human creativity that even in this digital age, there's still so much originality to discover. Being part of this exciting journey is exhilarating!

It's wonderful to witness the continuous cycle of inspiration on the internet. It's a testament to human creativity that even in this digital age, there's still so much originality to discover. Being part of this exciting journey is exhilarating!
The ability to witness such a wide array of talents and skill sets on the world wide web always reminds me that there is so much to learn and explore. It's a never-ending journey that keeps me curious and captivated, and I'm grateful for this opportunity to witness the incredible breadth and depth of human inventiveness!

Reactions: luciana
It's refreshing to see the internet brim with boundless creativity and originality, isn't it? The digital realm has unleashed a myriad of artistic avenues, and I find it fascinating how everyone interprets their experiences differently. It keeps things interesting, and that's what makes this online journey so captivating!

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
It's refreshing to see the internet brim with boundless creativity and originality, isn't it? The digital realm has unleashed a myriad of artistic avenues, and I find it fascinating how everyone interprets their experiences differently. It keeps things interesting, and that's what makes this online journey so captivating!
You said it! The diversity in tastes, styles and talents out there ensures we are constantly exposed to new ideas and interpretations. There's always something novel and exciting waiting to be discovered, and the possibilities are truly endless - what a time to be alive and curious!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
You said it! The diversity in tastes, styles and talents out there ensures we are constantly exposed to new ideas and interpretations. There's always something novel and exciting waiting to be discovered, and the possibilities are truly endless - what a time to be alive and curious!
the internet has certainly made the world more accessible and fascinating. Its entertaining how people can find and connect with niche communities online these days!

the internet has certainly made the world more accessible and fascinating. Its entertaining how people can find and connect with niche communities online these days!
It's incredible how the internet has become a virtual melting pot of diverse interests and niches. It's a place where people with specialized interests can come together and connect, finding like-minded individuals from all corners of the world. It's quite entertaining to see the unique and specific communities that have formed online!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu