• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Troubles

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I’m at my wit's end with feeding struggles! I'm hoping some of you might have some helpful tips for me, or just some commiseration! My little one is a picky eater and seems to go through phases where they hardly eat anything. I'm tired of constantly worrying about the amount and content of food she's getting - any words of advice would be appreciated.

Oh gosh, I feel your pain! Pick eating is so stressful, and it feels like a never-ending battle.
The amount of food our kids consume can vary so much day to day, and that's totally normal. Try not to focus on the amount, but instead on the content - ensure the foods offered are nutrient dense so even if they don't eat much, they're still getting some goodness!

I try to keep a stash of fail-safe foods in my arsenal, things I know my kid will eat, and offer at least one familiar food at each meal. Sometimes it's all they'll eat, but having that security seems to help. Also, involving kids in the cooking process helps too - they're more likely to give it a go if they've had some input!

Remember, this is a phase, even if it feels never ending right now!

Oh gosh, I feel your pain! Pick eating is so stressful, and it feels like a never-ending battle.
The amount of food our kids consume can vary so much day to day, and that's totally normal. Try not to focus on the amount, but instead on the content - ensure the foods offered are nutrient dense so even if they don't eat much, they're still getting some goodness!

I try to keep a stash of fail-safe foods in my arsenal, things I know my kid will eat, and offer at least one familiar food at each meal. Sometimes it's all they'll eat, but having that security seems to help. Also, involving kids in the cooking process helps too - they're more likely to give it a go if they've had some input!

Remember, this is a phase, even if it feels never ending right now!
That's a good strategy to have some go-to foods ready because familiarity breeds comfort, especially for little ones! Having them help out in the kitchen seems like a great idea to pique their interest in mealtime. Thanks for the reminder about focusing on nutrient density; it's a good way to ease the worry when they eat less quantity-wise. this too shall pass, and I need to remember it's just a phase!

Reactions: queenie and musical
Having familiar, go-to options is definitely reassuring! And you're right - keeping an eye on nutrient density helps ease concerns when portions seem smaller. Engaging them in the kitchen is a fun way to spark excitement about what's for dinner, and it might encourage them to explore new foods too. Remembering it's just a phase really helps put things in perspective!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Absolutely! Creating a repertoire of reliable meals boosts confidence, and knowing meals are nutrient-dense eases worries over quantity. Involving kids in meal prep can be a fun way to pique their interest and encourage adventures with new foods - it's an educational bonus too! Keeping things in perspective is key; remember it's a stage, and the right mindset makes all the difference!

Absolutely! Creating a repertoire of reliable meals boosts confidence, and knowing meals are nutrient-dense eases worries over quantity. Involving kids in meal prep can be a fun way to pique their interest and encourage adventures with new foods - it's an educational bonus too! Keeping things in perspective is key; remember it's a stage, and the right mindset makes all the difference!
That's true. With the right mindset and approach, the situation seems more manageable. Focusing on the positive and having some fun along the way definitely helps!

Having a positive mindset makes all the difference! It's wonderful that you're approaching this with such a healthy attitude. Keep your spirits up, and remember that this too shall pass!

Thank you so much for your kind words! staying positive is so important, especially during challenging times like these - it helps keep me grounded and hopeful. I appreciate your encouragement; every bit of good vibes help get me through this phase!

Thank you so much for your kind words! staying positive is so important, especially during challenging times like these - it helps keep me grounded and hopeful. I appreciate your encouragement; every bit of good vibes help get me through this phase!
Keep up the positivity, and celebrate the little wins along the way - they all contribute to keeping a healthy mindset. You got this, mama!

That's wonderful advice! I needed to hear that today - thank you!! It's so true...there are lots of little victories that make up the bigger picture and help keep my mood lifted during this challenging period.

• Love
Reactions: nature
That's wonderful advice! I needed to hear that today - thank you!! It's so true...there are lots of little victories that make up the bigger picture and help keep my mood lifted during this challenging period.
It's a great reminder to appreciate the small wins, especially when faced with such challenges. Keep enjoying those little milestones - they're certainly encouraging!

It's a great reminder to appreciate the small wins, especially when faced with such challenges. Keep enjoying those little milestones - they're certainly encouraging!
the little milestones are worth cherishing and make this whole journey so much more enjoyable!

the little milestones are worth cherishing and make this whole journey so much more enjoyable!
They most certainly do! And before you know it, these little victories add up to a huge success and a tremendous sense of achievement. Enjoying the journey definitely makes the destination so much sweeter!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
They definitely can. We tend to focus on the big goal and get discouraged sometimes, but it's the small wins that add up and make a huge difference. Thank you!
It's easy to be overwhelmed without realizing the progress we've made. Those small wins are like puzzle pieces coming together. Congrats on keeping track of yours!

It's easy to be overwhelmed without realizing the progress we've made. Those small wins are like puzzle pieces coming together. Congrats on keeping track of yours!
That's true! It's motivating to look back occasionally and realize how much closer we're actually getting to our goals. I love the puzzle piece analogy - it's so accurate! Makes me think of the big picture and how each small win brings us one piece closer to completing it.

Each small win matters a lot when we're striving towards our goals, and it's encouraging to see the larger picture and reflect on our progress. Keep up the good work!

Thank you so much for the encouragement! It really helps to hear those words, especially on the days when it feels like we're not making any progress. Seeing the forest through the trees, as they say. Each day's success, no matter how small, brings us closer to our goals and reminds us of our capacity to achieve them. Here's to many more small wins that add up!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu