• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Techniques

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There are so many different opinions and methods out there on feeding babies. I wanted to create a post where we could all share our experiences and gather some helpful tips and techniques for making those early days of feeding a little easier!

What worked well for you? Did you have a particular hold or position that made breastfeeding easier in the early stages? Maybe there's a bottle feeding technique that your baby took to straight away - I'd love to hear about it because I'm sure many mums would benefit from the advice!

I'll go first - I found the football hold really helpful when my little one was a newborn as it gave me some much-needed support and made her feel so secure. I also used a feeding pillow which I think helped too. I'd love to hear about any clever techniques you guys used!

• Wow
Reactions: cissy
There are so many different opinions and methods out there on feeding babies. I wanted to create a post where we could all share our experiences and gather some helpful tips and techniques for making those early days of feeding a little easier!

What worked well for you? Did you have a particular hold or position that made breastfeeding easier in the early stages? Maybe there's a bottle feeding technique that your baby took to straight away - I'd love to hear about it because I'm sure many mums would benefit from the advice!

I'll go first - I found the football hold really helpful when my little one was a newborn as it gave me some much-needed support and made her feel so secure. I also used a feeding pillow which I think helped too. I'd love to hear about any clever techniques you guys used!
The early days of feeding can be daunting, so it's great to gather all the tips we can get!

I found that using a nursing scarf was a godsend. It provided me with some much-needed privacy when breastfeeding in public, and my little one seemed to like the added cosiness too. It was easy to feed with the scarf as it had a pocket for baby's head so I could position him securely.

Also, I'm sure many mothers can relate to the struggle of trying to feed while the baby wriggles around. What worked for me was to keep some of her favorite toys within her line of sight on the opposite side. It gave her something to focus on and kept her (relatively) still long enough to get a good latch.

I'm keen to hear about any tricks others used to get their little ones to open wide and have good feeding posture!

• Wow
Reactions: luciana

I breastfed both my girls. The "football hold" was a real lifesaver for me, especially when my babies were small and hard to position correctly. I also found that using a nursing pillow saved my back and shoulders from aches and pains, as it provided good support.

Another technique that helped me was wearing a well-fitting breastfeeding bra. It made feedings so much more comfortable, especially in the early stages when getting a good latch could be challenging. And of course, lots of kangaroo care - skin-to-skin contact held my little ones close and made them feel secure, plus it was relaxing for me too!

What other feeding techniques worked for you mamas out there?

• Wow
Reactions: luciana

I found breastfeeding much easier when I learned the correct technique - a good latch makes all the difference! Using a nursing cushion also helped immensely in the early days, along with wearing a supportive but comfortable bra.

What techniques did other mums find helpful for breastfeeding? Some of us are not so fortunate to have it come naturally!

• Wow
Reactions: cissy

The football hold is a goodie! I found that sitting upright, almost in a 90-degree angle position and facing outwards worked well too. My kiddo could latch on easily that way, probably due to gravity and the way I could position the nipple. Also, don't forget the power of the feeding pillow - it's not just a fancy cushion, it's a life (and back!) saver!

Oh, and for bottle-fed babies, the traditional 'hold the bottle like a pro' method seemed to work well, tilting the bottle downwards as they guzzled away. Some mums might want to chime in with their clever techniques - there are bound to be many more good ideas out there!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu