• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Tactics

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Let's talk about feeding! Whether you're a veteran mom or this is your first rodeo, every situation is different and there's always something new to learn.

What tactics have worked for you when it comes to breastfeeding or bottle-feeding? Do you have any funny stories, tips, or tricks to share? What challenges have you faced and how did you overcome them?

For instance, did you know that feeding your baby skin-to-skin can help strengthen their grip and encourage them to latch better? Or that having a foot massage while breastfeeding can calm both mom and baby? There's so much to explore and discuss! Share your insights and let's learn from each other's experiences.

I found that feeding went better when I had some snacks handy - something I could eat with one hand while keeping baby fed with the other!

Also, having a large glass of water and a good audiobook or podcast lined up helped encourage longer feeds, which apparently helped boost milk supply. It's amazing how relaxing and enjoyable those long feeding sessions can become when you're prepared!

As for funny stories, I remember one time my usually very dependable baby decided she wasn't hungry and kept unlatching mid-feed. I tried everything to keep her interested but in the end, gave up and changed her nappy. As soon as the fresh smell of that clean nappy hit her nose, she looked at me with those big curious eyes and began rooting around for the breast! Got me every time!

That's such a smart idea to have snacks handy! I'll definitely remember that for when I start feeding.

And yes, I've also experienced those un latching moments! Baby knows what she wants and it's so funny how they can be so persistent - once they smell that fresh diaper, they're all in!

Good to hear you found the tip helpful!

It's amazing how intuitive babies are, especially when they smell something appealing like a fresh diaper - they sure know what they're doing! Snacks and drinks become such a necessity during those hungry moments and it's so worthwhile having them easily accessible.

What other feeding hacks have you come across that have made the process smoother?

Having a dedicated snack drawer in the pantry, stocked with easy-to-grab, mess-free options like bags of dry cereal or fruit pouches is an absolute lifesaver on those extra hungry days! You could also keep some in the diaper bag so you're never caught unprepared. I've also found that using cute, colourful bowls and spoons made meals more exciting and intriguing for my tot - especially if the cutlery has their favourite characters on them. Some days I'd have to resort to distraction tactics too, like having a fun app or toy handy to keep my little one seated long enough to finish their meal!

Some great ideas!

I love the dedication of a snack drawer - and your tip about having some snacks readily available in the diaper bag is genius - hunger can strike at any moment!

My little one always seems to lose interest in eating when they're distracted, so keeping them seated with some distraction like a fun app might help keep meal times a little more consistent.

What other tactics does everyone use to keep their little ones focused and fed?

A snack stash saved in various locations is such a good idea - I keep some emergency snacks in the car too, for those inevitable hungry moments when we're out and about!

My go-to for keeping my little one focused is having different textures and temperatures of food available - so I might give her cold veggies or fruit first, followed by warm foods, which seems to hold her attention a bit longer. I also keep some small toys or books on hand that she only gets at meal times, which helps create a positive association with eating.

What other sneaky tactics do people use?!

That's a good point about the different textures and temperatures - it's a great way to keep things interesting for little ones! I sometimes forget how appealing cold foods can be, especially in summer.

I also have a few distracting toys that are only brought out at meal times. It's so smart because it creates such a positive association with eating and keeps their attention for longer.

We also do 'food tours' - which is essentially just offering up lots of different foods, one at a time, to keep things exciting . I'll often start with something substantial like avocado, then move onto some soft veggies or fruit, followed by some crunchy crackers. It keeps my little one engaged and it's also a good way to ensure she's getting a decent range of nutrients too.

I've also found that letting her help prepare the food can really help with eating, especially when she's being fussy - she's more inclined to eat something if she's helped cook or prepare it. Even just simple things like washing vegetables or counting out crackers helps!

Those are some great additions and really demonstrate the importance of engaging all the senses when eating!

The meal-time only toys is a good trick, and I can see how a food tour would keep their little attention spans engaged as each new food becomes a mini event!

Getting kids involved in preparing food is such a good way to get them interested and invested in what they're about to eat - it's a great habit to get into from an early age. I like the idea of getting them helping with simple tasks like washing or counting too; it's a gentle way to involve them without making it feel like a chore, and as you say, creates a positive association with the whole process.

Anything that makes feeding time easier is a win!

Absolutely! It's amazing how effective some simple tactics can be to make mealtimes engaging and fun. Making it an enjoyable experience for kids goes a long way - keeping them focused, curious and eager to participate.

And you're right, getting them helping with prep is a brilliant way to create positive associations - they feel involved and invested in the process which makes feeding so much easier!

It's incredible how willing kids are to eat when they've helped prepare the meal, it really is a great tactic! Making it fun and engaging keeps them curious about the entire cooking process. It's beneficial in so many ways - teaching them about food, patience, and independence too!

That's right! Children are often more invested in the meals they've had a hand in creating. It fosters an appreciation for the work that goes into preparing food and can make mealtimes a lot of fun. There's also the added benefit of encouraging them to be more adventurous with what they eat - it's a great way to introduce new flavors, especially if they're hesitant about trying new foods.

Getting kids involved in the kitchen is such an excellent strategy for encouraging healthy eating habits. It's a win-win!

alzheimers-dementia-care-food-eating-inlineimage.jpg

Absolutely! I've noticed this too, especially with my nephew. When he helps prepare meals, he's much more inclined to eat his vegetables and even asks for seconds!

It's fascinating how engaging kids in the process enhances their appreciation for food and encourages adventurous eating. It's like they feel a sense of ownership over the meal and are proud of their contribution. This tactic can really help make mealtimes a fun and educational experience, as they learn about flavours, textures and even nutrition.

The kitchen becomes this exciting, interactive learning space where children can develop some great habits! Love it!

I couldn't agree more! It's a wonderful way to expose them to different flavors, textures, and cooking methods - setting them up with an adventurous palate and some basic culinary skills for when they're older.

It's heartening to hear your nephew is reaping the benefits of this interactive learning. What are some of the meals he's helped prepare that have become his favorites? Or does he enjoy helping out with any meal, regardless of the menu?

His favorite dish to help prep is fried rice - he enjoys the variety of veggies and proteins that can go into it, plus the frying aspect is always a hit.

He's also taken a liking to making pasta, particularly shaping the dough for ravioli and tortellini. The rest of the family volunteers to be taste testers for the different fillings and sauces!

Reactions: bananarama
That's awesome - my little one loves making pasta too, it's such a fun process for them, especially shaping the dough and getting creative with fillings. Fried rice is also a great one to involve kids - lots of colors, textures and flavors going in, and it's fun and quick too!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu