• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Tactics

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
From their discussion above, both nature and koala are breastfeeding mothers who rely on nursing-friendly clothing for convenience in feeding their babies wherever they go. At home, they both opt for a cozy setting to feed their babies and make use of pumping when needed with the help of tools like the hands-free pumping bra or nursing chair. They share tips about finding comfortable spots outdoors, and acknowledge that breastfeeding can give them a boost of confidence in public spaces. Overall, they appreciate how functionality and style go hand in hand in making their motherhood experience smoother and more empowering.

Share your feeding tactics! Whether you're breastfeeding, pumping, or bottle-feeding, we want to hear about your strategies and tips for keeping baby fed.

What techniques have worked well for you? How do you handle feedings when you're out and about or when you need to discreetly feed? What's your go-to position for feeding? Do you have any creative solutions for common feeding challenges?

Remember, every baby is different, so we'd love to hear about what has worked for you!

I'm exclusively breastfeeding and it's been such a breeze because my little one latches on well and is quite efficient during feeds!

When we're out, I usually try to time it so that he feeds just before we leave the house - that way I know he's full and content. If I'm running errands and know I'll be out for a while, I make sure to bring my nursing cover just in case he's hungry; it's easy to use and provides some privacy.

At home, I usually let him feed lying down - it's so cozy and comfortable! He also likes to snack often, so I let him lead the way on that. If he's rootin' around like a little piglet, I know he's hungry!

I'm lucky that everything's been going smoothly; no major challenges yet, but I guess my tip would be to feed often and keep those hunger cues in check!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
I'm exclusively breastfeeding and it's been such a breeze because my little one latches on well and is quite efficient during feeds!

When we're out, I usually try to time it so that he feeds just before we leave the house - that way I know he's full and content. If I'm running errands and know I'll be out for a while, I make sure to bring my nursing cover just in case he's hungry; it's easy to use and provides some privacy.

At home, I usually let him feed lying down - it's so cozy and comfortable! He also likes to snack often, so I let him lead the way on that. If he's rootin' around like a little piglet, I know he's hungry!

I'm lucky that everything's been going smoothly; no major challenges yet, but I guess my tip would be to feed often and keep those hunger cues in check!
Lucky you! Having a good feeder is half the battle won. I had to nurse mine like every two hours when he was tiny, and it felt like he was always hungry.

I found that having a couple of go-to spots at home helped - a nursing pillow upstairs and a comfy couch downstairs made things easier since I didn't have to trek up and down with a sleepy baby.

When we went out, I also tried to time feeds or bring a cover-up, but that only worked if he fed as scheduled. Most of the time, he had other plans and wanted to feed every hour in the car seat! Having some muslin squares in the diaper bag helped for quick cover-ups when needed.

When I step out with my baby, I usually bring along an extra shirt or two because sometimes, the milk stains are just impossible to hide! So, having a quick change helps me look presentable again and feel confident while feeding.

At home, I find that burping the little one immediately after feeding helps a lot because it reduces the chances of her spitting up. I also keep a muslin cloth handy at all times - it's so versatile! I can use it as a cover when I'm breastfeeding or to catch any unexpected Spit-ups or even for mopping up milk spills.

I think it's also important to let baby lead the feedings. Sometimes, she clusters and wants to feed longer, especially at night. I just go with it because I know that's what she needs and it helps me know that she's getting enough milk.

I've learned that being flexible is key and accepting that things don't always go as planned is part of the journey!

Reactions: techsavvy
When I'm out with my little one, I usually bring along a lightweight nursing scarf. It's a lifesaver when I need to feed her discreetly! I can just cover us up comfortably without feeling too stuffy.

At home, I often let her lie down on her side and prop herself up on one elbow while she feeds. Looks so comfy that sometimes I feel like joining her, haha!

It's also handy to keep some small snacks and water around when you're out. Keep your energy up and hydrated too - feeding can work up an appetite!

Reactions: koala
I think position matters a lot! I find that sitting upright helps keep the baby latched properly, especially if they're nursing. And if I'm out and about, I wear a scarf that I can drape over myself and the baby for some privacy. It's light and easy to carry around, so it's not too much of a hassle.

Using burp cloths or small towels also helps with any milk spills! I keep a few in my bag wherever I go, they're super useful when I need to wipe down any mess, not just for burping.

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Feeding time is a very 'chu liao' affair for me! Breastfeeding my baby girl has been such a breeze - I can practically feed her with one hand tied behind my back!

I usually let her latch and feed on demand. When she's really hungry, the sucking is so strong and efficient it's like she's got a powerful vacuum cleaner in her mouth! I just sit up tall, relax my shoulders, and enjoy the bonding moment with her.

When we're out and about, I just find a cozy corner or a nursing room if available, whip out the ol' breasties, and feed her discreetly without drawing too much attention. Been lucky to never have any leaks or spills, so no need for extra cover-ups!

The only challenge now is that she's getting heavier and harder to position comfortably in my arms, but I just make sure I've got a good grip and lots of support. Guess it's time to start hitting the gym to build up my momma strength!

I'm mostly bf-ing my baby. It's so convenient because I just have to wear a nursing top and I can feed discreetly anytime, anywhere! I find it very liberating actually.

The most challenging part for me is probably feeding in the middle of the night. I don't know how to describe it, but it feels like my milk supply reduces drastically at night, and baby seems to take longer to finish each session. So I end up feeling exhausted and a little frustrated because it takes so long.

I've also been pumping recently, trying to establish a stockpiling habit in case I need to go back to work soon. But it's tough! Somehow pumping doesn't give me the same satisfaction/fulfillment as breastfeeding, you know? Haha. I feel like such an efficient milk machine when I'm bf-ing, but pumping feels so... mechanical and tedious. But oh well, got to keep up anyway.

I've been lucky that breastfeeding has been pretty straightforward for me so far, no issues with latch or anything, so I'm really grateful for that!

Reactions: greenfingers
Breastfeeding mummy here! I wore nursing-friendly clothing so that I could feed my baby anytime, anywhere - super convenient and saves time too! No need to run to the toilet or find a private corner when baby's hungry. At home, I usually sit on my nursing chair and let baby lead the way - she'll cue me when she's hungry and we'll snuggle up for a feed. As for pumping, I got a hands-free pumping bra which was a game-changer! Made it so much easier to multi-task and do other things while pumping.

Breastfeeding mummy here! I wore nursing-friendly clothing so that I could feed my baby anytime, anywhere - super convenient and saves time too! No need to run to the toilet or find a private corner when baby's hungry. At home, I usually sit on my nursing chair and let baby lead the way - she'll cue me when she's hungry and we'll snuggle up for a feed. As for pumping, I got a hands-free pumping bra which was a game-changer! Made it so much easier to multi-task and do other things while pumping.
Good on ya for sharing your feeding tactics! I've found nursing-friendly clothes super helpful too when I had to feed my little one outside. Saves a lot of hassle and time, can just whack on the go.

The chair tactic is one I used at home as well - super cozy and convenient when they're cueing you, plus got that snuggle factor!

Hands-free pumping bra sounds like a real game-changer. Wish I knew about that earlier haha. Would've made my life easier, especially when handling multiple tasks while pumping.

Good on ya for sharing your feeding tactics! I've found nursing-friendly clothes super helpful too when I had to feed my little one outside. Saves a lot of hassle and time, can just whack on the go.

The chair tactic is one I used at home as well - super cozy and convenient when they're cueing you, plus got that snuggle factor!

Hands-free pumping bra sounds like a real game-changer. Wish I knew about that earlier haha. Would've made my life easier, especially when handling multiple tasks while pumping.
Nursing-friendly clothes save the hassle of having to expose more than necessary! And that chair tactic is a cozy feeding position haha. I feel like some babies would prefer that snuggle factor too 😊 My go-to was finding a quiet and cool corner outdoors - the baby would sense something's up when we're heading outdoors and start cueing already, so having a nice shady spot worked wonders to keep the milk flowing.

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
Nursing-friendly clothes save the hassle of having to expose more than necessary! And that chair tactic is a cozy feeding position haha. I feel like some babies would prefer that snuggle factor too 😊 My go-to was finding a quiet and cool corner outdoors - the baby would sense something's up when we're heading outdoors and start cueing already, so having a nice shady spot worked wonders to keep the milk flowing.
Yup! It's amazing how babies pick up on cues and get all riled up haha. I'd do the same and make a beeline for the comfiest nursing spot whenever I could too - which was usually at home for me. Nice and cooling, quiet - what more could ya want eh? But yes, it's good to have a plan B for when you're out and about. I found that having a couple of go-to spots outdoors really helped too, ya know, variety for the win 😁

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Yup! It's amazing how babies pick up on cues and get all riled up haha. I'd do the same and make a beeline for the comfiest nursing spot whenever I could too - which was usually at home for me. Nice and cooling, quiet - what more could ya want eh? But yes, it's good to have a plan B for when you're out and about. I found that having a couple of go-to spots outdoors really helped too, ya know, variety for the win 😁
Oh yeah, variety is key! I used to drive around till I found a nice quite spot haha. Baby would be fast asleep and I'd have some relaxing tunes on, it was quite nice actually - me time with some quiet and a gorgeous view 😌😂

Oh yeah, variety is key! I used to drive around till I found a nice quite spot haha. Baby would be fast asleep and I'd have some relaxing tunes on, it was quite nice actually - me time with some quiet and a gorgeous view 😌😂
Feeding at night can be such a drag, man. I feel you there. It's like my milk supply dries up overnight and baby needs longer to suckle. And yeah, pumping is a chore, not gonna lie. It's such a mundane process but sadly necessary too, so I totally get that satisfaction factor being missing.

I've been considering wearing nursing tops more often too, they look pretty convenient for discreet feeding!

Reactions: cissy
Feeding at night can be such a drag, man. I feel you there. It's like my milk supply dries up overnight and baby needs longer to suckle. And yeah, pumping is a chore, not gonna lie. It's such a mundane process but sadly necessary too, so I totally get that satisfaction factor being missing.

I've been considering wearing nursing tops more often too, they look pretty convenient for discreet feeding!
Yep! They're also great for easy access and to hide those leakages! I love that they're designed for functionality yet still look stylish - definitely a confidence booster when you feel you've lost some of yourself to motherhood 😅

Yep! They're also great for easy access and to hide those leakages! I love that they're designed for functionality yet still look stylish - definitely a confidence booster when you feel you've lost some of yourself to motherhood 😅
Nursing wear these days are way prettier and chic! There's no need to sacrificing style for functionality. It's empowering to know we mums can look good and feel confident, all while being prepared for those hunger pangs anytime, day or night. 🙂

Nursing wear these days are way prettier and chic! There's no need to sacrificing style for functionality. It's empowering to know we mums can look good and feel confident, all while being prepared for those hunger pangs anytime, day or night. 🙂
Totally agree! Those pretty nursing wears definitely give a much needed boost of confidence, especially for new mums. And it's so convenient that you don't even need to change your outfit to feed - just flick the flap open and go!

Totally agree! Those pretty nursing wears definitely give a much needed boost of confidence, especially for new mums. And it's so convenient that you don't even need to change your outfit to feed - just flick the flap open and go!
Yeah, I feel like a pro whenever I casually whip out my pump or expose my nursing-wear apparel in public! It's a confident boost knowing I look presentable and functional all at once. It's like wearing a superhero suit, flicking open the 'cape' to save the day hahaha.

Yeah, I feel like a pro whenever I casually whip out my pump or expose my nursing-wear apparel in public! It's a confident boost knowing I look presentable and functional all at once. It's like wearing a superhero suit, flicking open the 'cape' to save the day hahaha.
I know right?! We've got all the gear - might as well feel like our nursing superpowers are fully charged too!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu