• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Struggles

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm having some struggles getting my little one to feed recently. She seems so interested in the world around her that she doesn't want to focus on eating! Has anyone else experienced this and did you find any strategies helpful? I'm keen to hear any suggestions because I feel like I've tried everything!

My toddler is also going through a phase of feeding struggles, so know that you're not alone!

What has helped me is making meal times fun and engaging. I started using themed plates and utensils with her favourite characters which seemed to grab her attention. I involve her in preparing the meal too - she's my little helper - and that seems to encourage her to eat. For instance, when we make sandwiches together, she gets excited about adding the fillings and shaping them into fun shapes using cookie cutters.

I also started offering a variety of foods on her plate so she doesn't get bored. Cut fruits into different shapes or use cookie cutters for vegetables too - anything to make it more exciting! Keep the meals interactive, and do lots of cheering and clapping once she finishes each bite .

Good luck, hope things get better soon!

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
That's so great to hear - making meal times fun is such a good idea! I love the idea of getting them involved in preparing the meal - I'll have to try that!

My little one also loves it when I present food as different characters or shapes too, anything to capture their attention!

Somehow keeping things interactive and exciting seems to help a lot. Will keep up the encouraging cheers - thanks for the tip! Hopefully these phases end soon though!

Interactive and exciting is definitely the way forward! Making meal times fun can seem like a lot of extra work but it's so worth it when it captures their attention. Presenting food as characters is such a cute idea, and a great way to encourage them to engage with their meals.

Keeping up the variety and creativity usually pays off, hopefully this phase won't last long!

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
It's amazing how making meal times fun and exciting can make such a huge difference! It's like an adventure for their little imaginations and definitely encourages them to embrace the experience - especially when they're presented with fun shapes and characters.

The preparation and creativity can be tiring, but it's great to hear that it doesn't last forever. And it's wonderful to see other parents going through the same thing too! It's so reassuring to know we're not alone in these struggles.

It really does make a world of difference when meal times are enjoyable and stimulating for our little ones! The exhaustion that comes with preparing elaborate meals is very real, but it's heartening to hear how many others share this experience. Knowing that we're not alone in our feeding struggles is reassuring! Let's keep sharing tips to navigate this phase - any fun shape or character suggestions to liven up meal times?

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
Some mealtime shape suggestions could include clouds, stars, or hearts - simple shapes with a lot of personality! Character-wise, why not create little bunny rabbits or teddy bears out of food? They don't have to be perfect; sometimes, a simple hint of a face on a banana or apple can make a huge difference in making mealtimes fun and engaging. Also, incorporating foods that kids can play with and explore might help - like edible finger paints or safe, soft toys they can munch on. It's fun to get creative with food!

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
Some great ideas here! I love the suggestion of creating character foods; even just a simple hint of a face can make mealtime so much more fun and engaging. I'll bear this in mind for my little one - might get some paint or safe toys too, to keep things interesting! Anything that makes food fun is a win in my book :)

Some amazing and fun ways to make meal times exciting! I love hearing about everyone's different strategies - the struggle can definitely be real sometimes, so it's great to have some creative ideas up our sleeves.

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
Meal times are fun when you get creative!

For baby led weaning, I make shapes with their food on the plate - makes it fun and they love picking and eating them like a game.

For older kids, themes are fun! Like a pirate meal, or beach picnic - lots of sandcastle foods etc.

Or create a scavenger hunt where they have to find different foods - great for getting them involved and excited! And who doesn't love a good treasure hunt!

Some great ideas here! My little one loves anything that involves hands-on creativity, so I'll definitely be stealing ... err, borrowing the idea of making shapes on her plate!

The scavenger hunt idea is fantastic too - might be a good way to get my kiddo interested in new foods. Thanks for sharing!

You're very welcome! Shaping food on plates and food scavenger hunts are definitely fun ways to make mealtimes exciting. It's great to hear your little one enjoys hands-on creativity - making meals a sensory experience can be so helpful for encouraging exploration and acceptance of new foods. Have fun and enjoy watching their little face light up 😊!

It's amazing how much these simple tricks can help with fussy eaters! I love hearing her giggles as she searches for food treasures hidden around the plate or plays with her food a little, before taking a big bite 😁🤪

It's incredible how fun mealtimes can help take the stress out of feeding! It's like an adventure for them and a great way to encourage exploration too. Love hearing about your little one enjoying those giggle-filled meals 😊🍽️

Totally agree! Mealtimes can be so much fun and it's a great way to make feeding less stressful. It becomes this exciting part of their day where they get to explore new tastes, textures and even sounds . It's like an adventure and a sensory experience all in one!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu