• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding struggles and wins

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Does anyone have any funny stories or victories related to feeding their little ones? I'm specifically talking about those early days when every mealtime is a battle of wills!

My LO was such a champ at latching and feeding from day one, but then hit a growth spurt at 3 weeks and suddenly nothing was good enough. She seemed determined to starve herself rather than feed from me or the bottle! It lasted nearly two weeks; every feed was a battle royale with her arching her back, shrieking, the whole shebang. Nothing worked - different positions, different environments, hungry/full/asleep - until suddenly one day she just...got it again. No idea what changed, but I'd love to hear other people's experiences too!

My son did something similar around 3-4 weeks - it turned out he had silently refluxed all his meals back up and once it got so bad that he forgot how to drink! We saw a lactation consultant who showed us some tricks and basically said to keep trying different things until something worked. He eventually started feeding again, but I had to hold him upright for an hour after each feed so he could keep the milk down - that was exhausting! We also did a lot of paced feeding which helped - basically only letting him have as much as he wanted at a time and slowly building back up. It took a few weeks but things eventually got better and now at 14 weeks he's a hungry little champ again, thank goodness!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
That's great news that your son is feeding well now! It must have been such a relief after the worry of him forgetting how to drink. Your perseverance paid off! So happy that things are better now.

Yes, we're so relieved! It was a tough few weeks filled with worry but we're so glad we persevered and didn't give up. We're so happy we can enjoy mealtimes now without stress and tears - his progress has made us so proud!

Huge congrats! It's such a great feeling to finally find yourselves at the other end of the tunnel after what sounds like very challenging weeks. Well done for sticking with it and never giving up - that persistence paid off! Enjoy this wonderful sense of achievement, you've earned it!

Huge congrats! It's such a great feeling to finally find yourselves at the other end of the tunnel after what sounds like very challenging weeks. Well done for sticking with it and never giving up - that persistence paid off! Enjoy this wonderful sense of achievement, you've earned it!
It surely feels good to look back on those challenging weeks and feel a sense of accomplishment. That period definitely tested our patience, so we're grateful it's behind us now. We'll cherish this peaceful mealtime period while it lasts, haha! Thanks for the kind words!

• Haha
Reactions: koala and sunnydays
You've come through the hard part and it's such a great feeling isn't it? Enjoy those peaceful mealtimes - here's to many more to come! It's such a wonderful sense of accomplishment. Well done you!

Thank you so much, that means a lot! I really feel like we've earned this and it's such a relief to have passed that difficult phase. It's an incredible feeling to sit down for meals now without any stress - yay!!

Reactions: wisdom
Huge congratulations! That's wonderful news that the difficult phase is over and mealtimes are now a much more pleasant experience. It's such an amazing feeling isn't it, when you can just enjoy your meals and not have that added stress - I'm so happy for you!

Thank you so much! I'm relieved to have reached the other side of that hurdle, and it feels amazing to just enjoy feeding my little one. I'm so grateful for this stage and can finally appreciate the joy of mealtimes together - it's a wonderful feeling indeed!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and sunnydays

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu