• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Struggles and Victories

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Mothers shared their experiences and advice on how to overcome feeding struggles. Several key strategies emerged from their discussions. Firstly, understanding the underlying issues, such as a strong let-down reflex or latching problems and figuring out what works best for the baby and mother duo, is critical. Different positions, such as the football hold, and finding the right latch can make a huge difference. Patience is vital, as is exposing babies to various textures and tastes to find their preferences. Often, it's a matter of trial and error, and being able to draw from a repertoire of techniques such as using feeding pillows, nursing positions, or specific holds, can help overcome struggles. Online resources and personal experiences shared by other mothers offer valuable insights and hope. Lastly, every baby is unique, so finding what works best for them is a significant step towards enjoyable feeding times.

Share your hard-won wisdom! How did you overcome feeding struggles? What worked when nothing else seemed to help? Let's share experiences and offer hope to those still battling the feeding wars! I'll go first: After weeks of struggling, I finally figured out that my little one has a super-strong let-down reflex! Knowing that helped me change my nursing positions and made all the difference!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
I found that being patient and offering different foods worked best when my kiddo was having feeding issues. Sometimes it's a matter of finding what they fancy - a different taste or texture might do the trick!

For me, it was all about figuring out what worked best for my little one and me. I tried different holding positions and found that a football hold worked wonders! It took some time to get there though – sometimes, it's trial and error. Knowing what to look out for when these struggles arise really helps too, like understanding her latch or knowing when she's comfort nursing. So, yup, I feel ya!

I think figuring out what's going on helps a lot, like how you realised your little one's strong let-down reflex. Sometimes it's also about getting the right support and knowing the struggles are temporary. For me, seeing videos online helped – there are so many mums sharing their experiences and tips online these days! It's nice to know we're not alone in our feeding journeys. Having a few go-to techniques also helps, like pace feeding or using different positions like the football hold. Those worked well when my baby was gangly and kept breaking the latch. Also, I remember those early days of cluster feeding felt like they'd never end, but they did! Time really flies and before long, everything becomes a distant memory.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: nature and joyful
For my baby, it was all about getting the right latch. Took us a while, but once we got it down, feeding became so much easier and less stressful! Turns out he was having trouble with the let-down reflex too - he would choke and splutter a lot. But after we worked on his latch, everything improved!

52393399894_daa3ac941f_m.jpg

I think the hardest part about feeding is knowing what works best for you and your baby! Figuring out what helped was half the battle won - different positions, flow rates, etc. Once I discovered that my little one prefers a slower flow and a more upright position, meal times became so much more enjoyable!

I think your baby just needed some 'kangaroo care'. Most of the time, it's really about finding the right position; it makes all the difference when they're sucking like a Dyson on steroids.

For me, finding a position that worked was everything. I think it's really trial and error - what works for some doesn't work for others. Took quite some time to figure out what my little one liked best and it was definitely a relief once we found our groove. Also, knowing the difference between a hungry cry and an overwhelmed/comfort cry helped me not panic when he was just comfort nursing!

I faced feeding struggles too. For me, the struggle was figuring out how to get my little one to latch properly. I tried different positions and what worked was actually holding the breast like a football! The unusual hold somehow helped with the flow and angle, and my child could latch better. It was a weird but funny solution after so much struggle!

I faced feeding struggles too. For me, the struggle was figuring out how to get my little one to latch properly. I tried different positions and what worked was actually holding the breast like a football! The unusual hold somehow helped with the flow and angle, and my child could latch better. It was a weird but funny solution after so much struggle!
Feeding struggles real ah! I think most of us had some form of struggle, especially at the beginning! But it's great that you found a weird yet effective solution! Sometimes, it's the simplest and most unexpected hacks that work, right? Made me wonder how we survive without them! haha! For me, it was using a nursing pillow; it was a real saver and helped me with posture too!

Feeding struggles real ah! I think most of us had some form of struggle, especially at the beginning! But it's great that you found a weird yet effective solution! Sometimes, it's the simplest and most unexpected hacks that work, right? Made me wonder how we survive without them! haha! For me, it was using a nursing pillow; it was a real saver and helped me with posture too!
Oh yes, I had to use feeding pillows too. They are a godsend invention! It's these little discoveries that make motherhood a little easier and more manageable. You just never know what will work best for your child.

Oh ya, different textures and all really helped my kid when he was having feeding problems too! I think being consistent and exposing them to a variety of foods really helps in the long run. Patience is key! It's also good to remember every baby is different, so what worked for others might not work for us, but it's good to have a mental arsenal of tricks to try!

Oh ya, different textures and all really helped my kid when he was having feeding problems too! I think being consistent and exposing them to a variety of foods really helps in the long run. Patience is key! It's also good to remember every baby is different, so what worked for others might not work for us, but it's good to have a mental arsenal of tricks to try!
exposing them young to different textures n flavors rly helped eh! And ya, patience of course also very imp! Some babies just need a bit more time and different approaches to find what works best. I'm lucky my tot wasn't too picky, but I rem those early days were tough - finding what he liked was like solving a mystery! haha. But ya, agreed it's good to have a bag of tricks up our sleeves!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
For some mummies, it's really about finding that right latch and getting baby to stay latched when they have a strong let-down. Once you figure it out, like you said, it makes such a huge difference! It's a relief when the struggles ease up, and everyone can enjoy mealtimes more.

Reactions: sunnydays
Figuring out the issue is half the battle won, like in your case zeroing in on the let-down reflex. For me, what worked was watching those online videos parents put up – all the different experiences and hacks helped prepare me for my own feeding journey. And having a couple of tricks up your sleeve doesn’t hurt either! I remember cluster feeding felt never-ending man, but it’s true what they say - this too shall pass!

My boy was a fussy eater too and didn't want to latch at times. I found that using a nursing pillow helped us a lot because it brought him closer to me and made him more comfortable. Also, wearing a feeding-friendly dress made things easier since I could just pull up the dress and not fuss with my shirt!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and koala
For me, it's all about experimenting with different tricks until something works! I'm just glad these little solutions exist - they make all the difference in those early chaotic days!

For me, it was all about figuring out what my little one liked best. I tried different holds and positions, and it turned out that the football hold worked wonders! Also, I exposed her to different textures and tastes, which helped a lot. Knowing what the problem was and having a few tricks up my sleeve helped me stay patient when things got tough – 'each baby is unique' indeed!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu