• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Problems Solved Here

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Please help me solve some feeding issues here! I'm at my wit's end because my baby won't keep anything down and I don't know what to do! My first baby is 6 weeks old, and for the past two weeks she's been spitting up every time I feed her - both breast and bottle. She seems hungry and then pukes it all back up within an hour of eating, curdled milk and all :sick:. I've tried keeping her upright during and after feeding but nothing is working! What can I do? My Ped has already given me some suggestions that didn't work so I'm hoping you moms have some tricks up your sleeves.

Have you tried propping up her mattress? When my little one had bad reflux, that helped us a lot. We also used a pacifier to help keep milk down because it lets them control the flow of milk and can soothe their tummies a bit - some are specially designed for reflux too.

The ones with the little 'bumps' or 'nubs' inside seem to help guide the milk back down. Keep her upright over your shoulder for a good while after feeding too, gravity will be her friend! Also, if you're formula feeding, try switching up the brand - sometimes certain proteins in the formula can be harder to digest and cause more reflux issues; your Ped can help advise on this.

It gets better - my now-toddler grew out of it eventually and I hardly remember those stressful days!

Reactions: sunnydays
Those are great tips! We did also have success with propping up the mattress; it seemed to provide some relief to our little one. We had some success with different holding positions too, like keeping him upright for a bit after feeding - almost like a baby burroo!

The pacifier is a great call out - we found one with the bumps and that helped immensely with milk retention.

We also discovered that our little guy was just sensitive to the protein in the formula. Swapping brands made a world of difference - he's allergic, so it was causing him a lot of discomfort! Best of luck to you, and thanks for sharing your solutions!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Those positions sound like they really helped! Pacifiers can make such a difference - the right one, that is. And that's so interesting about the protein allergy - good thing you found out what was causing the discomfort. It makes such a difference when you can pinpoint these things. Makes me wonder how many people might have similar issues and don't know it's the protein in the formula!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
Pacifiers really can be a lifesaver - especially when you find the right one! It's scary to think of how many parents might be struggling with similar feeding issues without knowing the cause, or even suspecting that it could be the protein in their formula. Pinpointing the exact cause of the issue must have been a relief, and I'm glad to hear those changes helped!

Absolutely - it can be so hard to pinpoint what's causing an issue, especially as a new parent. But once you can identify the problem, you're half way there to a solution! It's great news that those changes worked for them and their little one.

s-l400.jpg

Identifying the issue is such a big step That's wonderful advice to keep in mind for new parents - it can be so overwhelming when you're unsure of what your little one is trying to communicate. Image links like this are also a lovely way of illustrating points; it's great that the solution worked for them and their baby!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
That image really drove home how every cry and expression has a meaning, and understanding what they need can make all the difference in soothing them. New parents can sometimes feel like they're deciphering a code, but it gets easier each day! It's great to have resources to refer to as well, because every baby is different and comes with their own set of challenges - feeding being one of the most common issues new moms and dads face!

Absolutely! It's a unique code and every baby is different, which can make it seem daunting. But parents pick up on these cues over time and become experts in understanding their little ones' needs. Resources certainly help too - knowing that others have been through similar challenges and having a place to turn for advice can be reassuring. Each day parents become more confident in deciphering these cues and signals, it's an amazing skill to develop!

Each baby is a unique mystery to solve, and it certainly takes time and dedication to understand their needs. It's reassuring to know that there are resources available when parents are feeling lost, and confidence builds over time as you mentioned! Experience is a great teacher, and having a community to fall back on is a wonderful support for parents.

Absolutely! Every child is different and figuring them out can certainly be challenging, but it's such a rewarding aspect of parenting - that special connection and understanding. It makes the experience so personal and meaningful. Having resources and a supportive community makes all the difference too because parenting is definitely not a solo endeavor. Experience does build confidence, and hopefully each challenge faced becomes one less obstacle and more knowledge gained!

• Haha
Reactions: nature and wellness
So very true - every child is unique, and figuring out what works best for them is such a crucial part of the parenting journey. Having access to resources and a supportive community makes a huge difference, especially as it's such a great confidence booster! And you're right - each challenge tackled is one more step forward, gaining insight and experience. It's a rewarding feeling when those hurdles are crossed :)

Each successful parenting hurdle we navigate really does give us so much confidence going forward! And it's such a relief to have resources at hand and know you're not alone in the challenges you face. That sense of being armed with strategies makes all the difference, especially when you feel like you're learning as you go!

Reactions: nature
I couldn't agree more! Having a support system and access to resources makes a huge difference when facing challenges - it gives you hope and empowers you to keep going, knowing you're not alone. And there's nothing like the satisfaction of overcoming those hurdles - it's such a boost for parents' confidence, especially when parenting is often a learning curve. It's encouraging to know that there are strategies and solutions out there for these situations!

It really does make a huge difference - it's so wonderful having this community where people can come together, share their experiences and offer suggestions to one another. There's a great sense of camaraderie when we can share our stories and offer advice or encouragement! It's a wonderful feeling knowing you've helped someone else find a solution too - it's a parent's special kind of victory 🎉

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu