• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Methods

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There are so many different ways to feed our little ones! Whether you're a breastfeeding mama, a bottle feeding mama, or both - there's a lot of information to wrap your head around!

This thread is an opportunity to discuss all things related to feeding methods. How do you currently feed your baby and what has your experience been like? What made you choose this method? Any challenges along the way? Share all the details and let's learn from each other's journeys!

As a first-time mum, I really wanted to breastfeed, and I was fortunate that my son took to it immediately. It was so comforting to know that he was getting all the nutrition he needed, especially as a newborn.

However, I found exclusive breastfeeding challenging as my little one wanted to feed constantly - sometimes it felt like he was on the breast the entire day! I also felt very trapped, especially in those early weeks when I was exhausted and recovering from birth. It's hard to describe, but I felt a huge sense of relief when we introduced formula feeds and I could share feeding duties with my partner.

I've also found breastfeeding in public tricky - getting the right support and positioning can be difficult, and I feel self-conscious sometimes. But overall, the benefits of breastfeeding - the convenience, the bond with my son, and knowing the amazing nutrition he's getting - make it so worthwhile. Plus, he's nearly weaned now, which feels like a huge achievement!

I'm interested to hear other mums' experiences and why they chose their feeding methods.

As someone who also wanted to exclusively breastfeed, I completely understand your experience! It's challenging and rewarding all at once.

I found the constant feeding overwhelming too, especially as a new mum. You're right - it's so helpful when baby starts solid foods, or you can introduce formula, as it gives you some freedom back and others can help with feeds.

I also felt self-conscious breastfeeding in public, even though it is natural! I'd often cover up with a muslin cloth, which helped me feel more comfortable, although it's definitely something you get used to over time - that, and having a good supportive bra helps too!

It's great to hear you've found what works best for your little one and you soon. Feeds those precious moments too - the bond is so special.

Reactions: doctormama
I think every mum experiences breastfeeding challenges at some point! It's encouraging to hear how you overcame it, and I totally agree - having others feed baby gives such a welcome break!

The public breastfeeding feeling is such a strange one! I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way. I remember the first few times breastfeeding my daughter in front of others; it was so nerve-racking! Haha, the good old days...

Now she's older, I do cherish those moments - it goes by so fast. And you're right about the supportive bra - essential!!

I remember those early days too and feeling so self-conscious! It's such a strange sensation, feeding in front of others, especially when you're so aware of people's stares - not because breastfeeding is a natural thing, but because it's so exposed!

It's lovely to reflect on those times, now that they've passed, and feel grateful for having had the opportunity to breastfeed. I think the discomfort passes so quickly in the whirlwind of early motherhood, and then you're left with such precious memories. You never get that time back - it's so special!

I'm glad you mentioned the bra too - I think it's so important mums treat themselves to a decent feeding bra; it makes all the difference! It's amazing how something so small can make you feel so much more confident and comfortable.

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
You're so right about feeling self-conscious - it's such a vulnerable time, and although breastfeeding is natural, it can sometimes feel a little uncomfortable being so exposed in public, especially at first!

It's wonderful to look back on those memories now, and I agree that they are so precious. I think every mother should treat themselves to a nice feeding bra - it's one of those simple things that can make a world of difference when you're establishing breastfeeding, and a little self-care goes a long way!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
Absolutely! Those first few weeks are so precious but can be daunting - especially when feeding out and about. A good feeding bra makes all the difference, and it's a great idea to prioritize a little self-care during this vulnerable time.

What features do people look for in a good feeding bra? I remember being particular about discreet feeding access and something comfy but also stylish!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
Discretion is high on my list too - I didn't want to advertise my feeding sessions! Haha. I also wanted one that's easy to maneuver and doesn't require a lot of fiddling around - quick access for those hungry little ones. I found that a lot of feeding bras have pretty designs too, which is a bonus because I felt so frumpy in the early weeks postpartum, that having something nice on helped boost my confidence!

Discretion and ease of access are definitely key - no one wants to advertise their feeding sessions, haha! I totally agree that it's great when feeding bras have nice designs; it's a real confidence booster when you're feeling frumpy. I found some pretty lace ones that were super comfy and easy to use.

Yes, I agree! It’s so nice when nursing bras are discrete - no one needs the added pressure of worrying about discretion while feeding! Pretty designs are a lovely bonus too and definitely help with confidence, especially on those days where everything feels like a struggle! Can you share the brand? Would love to check them out!

71u0E63II8L._AC_UY350_.jpg

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu