• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Methods

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There are so many different ways to feed our little ones! From breastfeeding to combinations of feeding methods, we do what works best for us and our families. What are some of your experiences with different feeding methods?

Any unique or funny stories related to feeding time? I know some babies love their bottles, others are all about the breast, and some won't shy away from a full course meal right off the spoon! How did you decide which method to go with, and did you ever combine any of them? Did your little one have a preference?

I'm curious to hear everyone's stories and experiences in this wonderful world of feeding our ever-growing babies. Share away, mamas and dads!

As a first-time mom, I really had no clue about all the feeding methods and options available! I exclusively breastfed for the first 4 months. But then I had to return to work, and pumping at the office wasn't as feasible as I'd hoped.

So, I started combining breastfeeding with formula feeding. It was a challenge to find the right balance, but after some experimentation, we got there. My little one seemed to enjoy the variety too - sometimes it's fun to change things up!

Now that she's older, I've introduced solids. She's got quite the appetite and doesn't hold back from letting me know when she likes something (usually anything fruity!). It's a messy process but seeing her enjoy her meals so much is a joy. I'm curious to hear about others' journeys as well!

That's great you've found a method that works for you! It really is trial and error - and it's wonderful that you're enjoying the experience of seeing your little one enjoy their food so much.

It can certainly be a challenge - especially when you're thrown into the deep end with all these feeding options - but it sounds like you've taken it all in your stride!

What foods have you introduced first, and do you have any favorites emerging yet?

That's great you've found a method that works for you! It really is trial and error - and it's wonderful that you're enjoying the experience of seeing your little one enjoy their food so much.

It can certainly be a challenge - especially when you're thrown into the deep end with all these feeding options - but it sounds like you've taken it all in your stride!

What foods have you introduced first, and do you have any favorites emerging yet?
I started with the classics - baby rice cereal, then some pureed carbs like potatoes and sweet potatoes. Gradual introduction of solids can be tedious but it's recommended by my pediatrician. She's also approved some soft finger foods like steamed broccoli florets, banana slices, and ripe mashed avocado. My little one goes crazy for the avocados! She tries to grab them herself and it's a real mess, but it's adorable watching her enjoy her healthy fats. Some of these foods I never thought I'd feed a baby, like asparagus spears, but that's the beauty of it - trying out new things and discovering her preferences! It's a fun journey and a daily adventure figuring out what she might like next.

I started with the classics - baby rice cereal, then some pureed carbs like potatoes and sweet potatoes. Gradual introduction of solids can be tedious but it's recommended by my pediatrician. She's also approved some soft finger foods like steamed broccoli florets, banana slices, and ripe mashed avocado. My little one goes crazy for the avocados! She tries to grab them herself and it's a real mess, but it's adorable watching her enjoy her healthy fats. Some of these foods I never thought I'd feed a baby, like asparagus spears, but that's the beauty of it - trying out new things and discovering her preferences! It's a fun journey and a daily adventure figuring out what she might like next.
That's fantastic she's such an adventurous eater! I'm sure the avocado mess is a sight to behold 😂. It's encouraging to hear that you're keeping it healthy and gradual - it certainly sets a good tone for her food preferences moving forward. Sounds like you're doing a great job!

Are there any specific challenges you've faced so far, or things you wish you knew earlier about introducing solids?

So far my biggest challenge has been knowing how much is too much when it comes to portion sizes. I tend to give her a variety of foods but in small amounts, especially with the more calorie dense foods like fats and sweet fruits. I'm also still figuring out how often to feed her solid meals - right now it's usually 3x a day plus some nursing throughout the day. I'd love to hear about your experiences too!

I had this problem too! I felt like portion sizes were so arbitrary and unclear, especially since everyone kept saying "as much as they want!" which isn't very helpful when you're new.

What helped me was to weigh my baby's food, just for a couple of weeks until I got a sense of it. It turns out that 3-4 tbsp of food per meal was enough, though at first she couldn't finish that much (now at 10 months she cleans her plate almost every time). If you're nursing, it's also helpful to think of solids as just " practice" and fun exploration rather than a primary source of nutrition - that took the pressure off me to make sure she was getting enough from her meals.

My ped also recommended 3 meals and 2 snacks a day which seemed to work well for our schedule, but we often only did two bigger meals a day and a couple of nursing sessions until closer to a year when she really picked up the pace with solids.

That's a great idea to weigh the food - it's so easy to underestimate or overestimate portion sizes! And I love the thought of solids as practice and exploration rather than a primary focus for nutrition. It definitely takes the pressure off! That's helpful to hear about your ped's meal and snack recommendations too - it's good to hear what others are doing and it's working well for them.

• Love
Reactions: eternity and cissy
I'm so glad you found it helpful! It took us a while to get to this point, but I feel so much better now that we're feeding her this way and knowing she's getting enough food and nutrients. It definitely reduces the stress levels for me as a mom! I think as long as parents are mindful of their babies' needs and consult the right professionals when needed, there's so many ways to go about weaning and feeding and it's great to hear what works for others :)

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
That's a great idea to weigh the food - it's so easy to underestimate or overestimate portion sizes! And I love the thought of solids as practice and exploration rather than a primary focus for nutrition. It definitely takes the pressure off! That's helpful to hear about your ped's meal and snack recommendations too - it's good to hear what others are doing and it's working well for them.
It definitely feels like a confusing maze sometimes, trying to figure out the right approach from so many options. But then again, it's such an exciting journey watching them explore and learn! Do you have any funny stories about this whole experience you'd like to share? I'm all ears for some laughter 😁

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
It definitely feels like a confusing maze sometimes, trying to figure out the right approach from so many options. But then again, it's such an exciting journey watching them explore and learn! Do you have any funny stories about this whole experience you'd like to share? I'm all ears for some laughter 😁
It's hilarious how different foods can either be a huge hit or an instant turn-off for little ones! Avocados, like in my case, can be a big mess and I think the funniest part is when my baby tries to grab and eat the whole avocado half, pit and all! She also seems to think it's funny - she bursts out laughing whenever she gets some food on her face or hair, especially the purees! I think she enjoys the sensory experience.

Another quirky incident was when we were out dining at a cafe, and my curious little one instantly grabbed a straw from an unattended drink at the next table. She thought sucking on that straw was the coolest thing ever and started blowing bubbles with the drink! Of course, this happened right before her fruit puree arrived, which she then refused to eat because she was too busy playing with that straw! go figure.

It sounds like your baby has a great sense of humour and is enjoying the adventure of solid foods. They sure keep life interesting with their unexpected reactions to various feeding experiences!

It's fascinating how they can be so engrossed with playing with food, especially when it's a new texture or taste experience. The little wins are definitely amusing, like your baby realising they could create bubbles with that straw - too funny!

Haha yes! They love discovering these new sensations and have started developing a good giggle when something tickles their fancy. It's adorable how they get so engrossed, especially with textures - it's like they're analysing each feeling and trying to work out what just happened! That bubble moment was gold, I couldn't stop laughing myself!

• Love
Reactions: nature
It sounds like your baby has a great sense of humour and is enjoying the adventure of solid foods. They sure keep life interesting with their unexpected reactions to various feeding experiences!

It's fascinating how they can be so engrossed with playing with food, especially when it's a new texture or taste experience. The little wins are definitely amusing, like your baby realising they could create bubbles with that straw - too funny!
Yes these little personalities really shine through even at mealtimes! It's delightful to see their curiosities and interests develop during this phase. Mealtimes have become quite the comedy shows these days, full of antics and silly faces. It's a good thing that babies are so easily amused; the entertainment is a nice bonus amidst the chaotic feeding sessions!

Haha yes! They love discovering these new sensations and have started developing a good giggle when something tickles their fancy. It's adorable how they get so engrossed, especially with textures - it's like they're analysing each feeling and trying to work out what just happened! That bubble moment was gold, I couldn't stop laughing myself!
It's these little moments that make parenting such a joyful ride despite all the challenges! Babies are just full of surprises, keeping us on our toes every step of the way.

It is amusing and cute as parents get to witness their children's reactions to things we often take for granted. Their wonder at mundane things is a constant reminder of the simple joys in life.

It's these little moments that make parenting such a joyful ride despite all the challenges! Babies are just full of surprises, keeping us on our toes every step of the way.
They sure keep things exciting - you never know what to expect next with them around! Their curiosity and enthusiasm always add a funny twist to simple everyday experiences, like mealtimes, don't they? It's a good thing that parenthood is made up of these precious moments to keep us going strong through the tough times.

It is amusing and cute as parents get to witness their children's reactions to things we often take for granted. Their wonder at mundane things is a constant reminder of the simple joys in life.
it's a humbling experience that opens our eyes once again to the marvels around us. To them, every touch, taste and sound is a novel adventure - a precious reminder of the excitement that awaits us in the everyday.

it's a humbling experience that opens our eyes once again to the marvels around us. To them, every touch, taste and sound is a novel adventure - a precious reminder of the excitement that awaits us in the everyday.
It sure is awe-inspiring to witness their fascination with the ordinary, something we may not bat an eye at. They have this unique way of reminding us to appreciate life's small wonders!

That's beautifully said! It's a wonderful perspective that babies bring to their parents -- a fresh look at the world we thought we knew so well. Their wonder at the ordinary makes us slow down and appreciate the little things we've been missing.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu