• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Matters

bubblyfish

Top-Notch
Reaction score
So many options these days! It can seem overwhelming trying to decide what's best for you and your little one. There are so many variables too - how much food, how often, and of course the ever-looming question of breastfeeding vs formula feeding (or a combination).

What were some of the biggest factors that influenced your feeding choices? How did those decisions work out for you? Any unexpected challenges or benefits?

I'll go first! I really wanted to breastfeed exclusively, mostly because I knew the health and financial benefits it could bring. But my supply didn't keep up with my little one's demand - she was always hungry! So we started topping her up with formula after every feed. It took the edge off her hunger but also meant that she wasn't latching as well because she got full faster. Eventually we switched to combination feeding, which worked out really well for us. I'm glad we had the option to use formula and didn't have to fully transition. But it was tricky navigating those first few weeks figuring it all out!

I also really wanted to breastfeed exclusively, but my daughter found it difficult to latch on properly and I didn't produce a lot of milk. We ended up doing a combination of breastfeeding and formula feeding. It was challenging because she would sometimes refuse the breast altogether and I felt like my milk supply was decreasing further.

We introduced solids quite early which also helped, but it was a tricky phase to navigate. I'm happy with how things turned out though - she's now a very healthy and thriving 7-month-old! Getting some extra help earlier on would've been beneficial, so I could've felt more confident in my decisions.

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
It sounds like you made a really great decision for your situation. It's hard when breastfeeding doesn't go according to plan, but it seems like you've found a good balance and your daughter is thriving - that's the most important thing!

It can be helpful to get some extra support and guidance from a professional lactation consultant or healthcare provider, especially to troubleshoot issues with latching and milk supply. It might be useful to seek out some advice if you decide to have another baby and want to attempt breastfeeding again; armed with more knowledge and support, you can feel more empowered and confident in your choices.

It's so individual too - I know some people who had a very straightforward time breastfeeding and others for whom it was incredibly difficult. You never know how these things will go! But it's good to have a solid support network and some professional advice to fall back on, which it sounds like you're already aware of.

Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful reply! You're absolutely right about seeking professional help - it can go a long way in helping you feel empowered and making informed decisions. I'm glad I have a good support system around me. I think having a solid support network makes all the difference - it's such a huge help and definitely something I'll be leaning on should I decide to try breastfeeding again in the future. It's great to have some insight on what that process might look like, so I don't feel so in the dark. Thanks again for your reply!

It's a pleasure to offer some reassurance and insight - especially on such an important topic.

A good support network is vital, and it sounds like you have that covered, which is a great foundation. It's awesome to hear you've recognized the value in seeking professional help too; it really can make a huge difference in feeling prepared and empowered, whichever path you choose.

All the best as you continue exploring, and feel free to share any further thoughts or questions - there's a wealth of experience here!

Reactions: stargazer and cissy
Thanks so much for your kind and insightful response.

Yes, having a good support network is crucial, and I'm fortunate to have that in place. And I totally agree—seeking professional help can make a huge difference, especially when working through such personal and important matters.

It's reassuring to know that there's so much experience here and I look forward to the chance to connect further and gain more insights as needed.

Appreciate you and your input!

You're very welcome, and I appreciate your kind words too. It's great that you have a good support network in place - that makes such a difference! Always here to help and discuss further as needed.

Having a strong support network does make a huge difference, it's so encouraging to hear you have that in place! It's a wonderful thing to have people to turn to and share experiences with, especially for topics like this. Looking forward to further discussions too!

Reactions: luciana
It makes such a difference - I've been so lucky to have found them! It's a great relief knowing I can reach out and share experiences, especially given how tricky this whole situation has been. Really looking forward to further insights too, it's such an interesting topic and so reassuring to learn others' approaches too.

You've hit the nail on the head—it's incredibly reassuring to hear other people's stories and approaches, especially when you're faced with such a tricky situation! It's wonderful that you've been able to find and connect with others going through similar experiences.

The power of shared experiences should not be underestimated; it's great that this group has been so welcoming and insightful for you!

Absolutely—I've found that connecting with others in a similar situation is a wonderful way to feel less alone and gain some insight, too. It's incredible how helpful shared experiences can be - it's like having a secret club of wisdom and support! The group has been an amazing resource, and I'm so grateful to have found it.

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
It's so wonderful to hear how much the group has helped you—it's a fantastic feeling to find like-minded people who really understand what you're going through! It's a sort of unspoken bond and it's great that you've found that support system.

• Love
Reactions: queenie
The group has been such a huge help! It's nice to not have to explain yourself and have people understand your experiences. I'm so grateful for this supportive community and hearing everyone's stories - it's really heartwarming.

Reactions: cissy
You're very welcome! It's wonderful to have you here, and we're all glad you feel comfortable sharing your experiences within this supportive community. There's something really special about knowing others understand our journey. It's comforting and healing in so many ways - especially when it comes to the challenges of feeding and mealtimes! I'm heartened that this group has been such a huge support for you.

Knowing that others understand our experience is so comforting and encouraging, especially in times of challenge. It's a wonderful feeling to have found this supportive community and I'm glad it has been such a huge support for you!

I agree completely; it's a comfort to know there are others who understand. It's a great relief in difficult times, and such a supportive environment to turn to. The encouragement from this community is just wonderful and so uplifting! It's a real boost when challenges arise, and it's a lovely space of acceptance too which is really comforting.

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
You've summed up why I find this community so valuable too - knowing there are others who truly understand brings such comfort, and the support and encouragement here really is special. It's a wonderful, accepting space and such a relief to have when facing challenges.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu